PDA

View Full Version : multi fuel stove,

jcgrumbles
3rd October, 2011, 08:57 PM
Im seriously considering getting a multi fuel stove put in so me and mrs grumbles can lie on a sheepskin rug in front of it swopping spit,i realise i have to use someone whos hetta registered to do it and im quite happy with that,ive used copex before and laid many a hearth but ive no experience with stove connections for the gasses etc,i was thinking of something that kicks out about 6 or 7 kw and ive been looking at the stovax range ,has anyone out there got a stove and what would you reccomend?I can only go up to ?500 tops for the stove itself,any help would be nice,regards,grumbles

true grit
4th October, 2011, 07:29 PM
try this site, Stoves, wood burning stoves, woodburning stove, multifuel stoves UK (http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/)

answers all your questions, from the experts

reddevil157
5th October, 2011, 11:43 AM
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/_beechbum_/emoticons/ththlovemaking2.gif

flyingpig
5th October, 2011, 08:11 PM
Im seriously considering getting a multi fuel stove put in so me and mrs grumbles can lie on a sheepskin rug in front of it swopping spit,i realise i have to use someone whos hetta registered to do it and im quite happy with that,ive used copex before and laid many a hearth but ive no experience with stove connections for the gasses etc,i was thinking of something that kicks out about 6 or 7 kw and ive been looking at the stovax range ,has anyone out there got a stove and what would you reccomend?I can only go up to ?500 tops for the stove itself,any help would be nice,regards,grumbles

Some things to check -

Do you live in a Smoke Control Zone? - If so you have to get a DEFRA approved stove. You can ring up your local council and ask them. It can be down to individual roads / postcodes so you really need to check with them. It also makes a massive difference to the price of the stove.

Stoves - This is the best place I have found for stoves. Good reviews with a great range of affordable stoves Multi-Fuel Stoves, Woodburning MultiFuel Stoves (http://www.gr8fires.co.uk/multi-fuel-stoves-41/?osCsid=44d42d60e9b9f7d84cc8865c4f5e879d)

Fitting - You can fit yourself and go through Building Control or get a HETAS registered person to do it for you. Best way is fit it yourself and get a HETAS engineer to sign it off for ?50. First you need a class 1 flue - a brick built chimney. Check it for leaks etc with smoke bombs, ensure it only comes out of one chimney pot, and the loft etc.

Register Plate - This is the section that separates the chimney from the room. Dead easy - use Vermiculite board or Supalux. You batten out 2 sides with the vertmiculite / supalux then cut it to fit the section. Cement it in with Fire Cement. Cut a hole (noramally 5") for the flue from the stove.

Honestly it will take no more than 2 days off work to fit it complete and will save you over ?500. There are loads of websites on it for help.

jcgrumbles
6th October, 2011, 08:32 AM
Some things to check -

Do you live in a Smoke Control Zone? - If so you have to get a DEFRA approved stove. You can ring up your local council and ask them. It can be down to individual roads / postcodes so you really need to check with them. It also makes a massive difference to the price of the stove.

Stoves - This is the best place I have found for stoves. Good reviews with a great range of affordable stoves Multi-Fuel Stoves, Woodburning MultiFuel Stoves (http://www.gr8fires.co.uk/multi-fuel-stoves-41/?osCsid=44d42d60e9b9f7d84cc8865c4f5e879d)

Fitting - You can fit yourself and go through Building Control or get a HETAS registered person to do it for you. Best way is fit it yourself and get a HETAS engineer to sign it off for ?50. First you need a class 1 flue - a brick built chimney. Check it for leaks etc with smoke bombs, ensure it only comes out of one chimney pot, and the loft etc.

Register Plate - This is the section that separates the chimney from the room. Dead easy - use Vermiculite board or Supalux. You batten out 2 sides with the vertmiculite / supalux then cut it to fit the section. Cement it in with Fire Cement. Cut a hole (noramally 5") for the flue from the stove.

Honestly it will take no more than 2 days off work to fit it complete and will save you over ?500. There are loads of websites on it for help.
Thanks mate,i didnt know i could just get someone out to sign it off,i thought they had to do all the fitting themselves,i know someone who can get his paws on some copex as well,thanks again..:top:

fine1
10th October, 2011, 08:58 AM
How do you intend to connect the stove to the back boiler? if you mean the old back boiler in the fireplace, these are too small to give hot water and heat radiators. If you mean a gas back boiler, you will have great difficulty in connecting to it as they are only designed for a gas fire to be connected to.

jcgrumbles
10th October, 2011, 04:10 PM
HELLO FINE1,theres no back boiler mate,just the stove for those extra cold nights,cheers...

flyingpig
10th October, 2011, 08:21 PM
You can get a stove with a boiler on it. It can easily do the hot water. you have a feed and return, with a temparature switch set to 45 celcius. You can even use it to heat radiators. The same principle, albeit a bit more complex, but nothing that cannot de done.

It is easier if the cylinder and pump are in teh bedroom above the room where the stove it.

jcgrumbles
10th October, 2011, 09:28 PM
You can get a stove with a boiler on it. It can easily do the hot water. you have a feed and return, with a temparature switch set to 45 celcius. You can even use it to heat radiators. The same principle, albeit a bit more complex, but nothing that cannot de done.

It is easier if the cylinder and pump are in teh bedroom above the room where the stove it.
thanks for that mate but will be too dear due to a combi and the fact its on the other side of the house in the garage,i`ll be happy with just the stove,cheers..

darcu5
11th October, 2011, 09:47 AM
use to have a big log burning stove in the old house, (shame we couldn't take it with us when we moved). Fit it myself, easily done.. Ya'll be swapping sweat tho, not spit.. they get mad hot, altho ours had the option to add radiators and boiler the rads wernt needed, it was in a large 3 bedroom end terrace with 2 reception rooms and every room use to get nice and warm upstairs and downstairs, Chuck a shovel full of coal on it before goin to bed and it was still nice and warm the next morning, only problem i found was that you couldnt turn the fire down when it got warm enough; and i would often be sat with the front door wide open when it was freezing temperatures outside. And i got quite a few blisters grabbing hold of the door handles while it was still hot lol.

jcgrumbles
11th October, 2011, 03:29 PM
cheers darcu5 the mrs wants to lose weight so it might work out canny...

Meat-Head
17th October, 2011, 10:45 PM
Well if your burning wood, might be an idea to put some fish racks in for smoking kippers

Xram
18th October, 2011, 01:53 AM
Been looking in to this for a while now due to a friend spending 35k on one of the systems to heat his planet (big ~~~~ off house) his system heats water shit load of it. It drops 1 degree a day due to mass of water rather than anything but i looked at this from a normal joe blogs view a stove is a quick heat but what i would look at if it were me is a rocket stove mass heater. Same initial heat as your stove but the potential to keep heat. Have a look at this first http://www.permies.com (http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.permies.com%2F&session_token=dBgIWNh2V-T4w7p8cEUQQzeLYZJ8MTMxODk4NTU2NEAxMzE4ODk5MTY0)

jcgrumbles
19th October, 2011, 07:59 AM
Well if your burning wood, might be an idea to put some fish racks in for smoking kippers
cheers meaty,but i reckon the fishy smell will be bad enough with mrs grumbles lying in front of it...

jcgrumbles
19th October, 2011, 08:14 AM
Great site xram cheers.can you imagine the local council finding out somebody had one of these in their house!

Sraheens
13th December, 2011, 04:55 AM
For a stove try Waterford Stanley great job

ck-ok
7th January, 2012, 02:35 PM
I have a firefox 5 that I fitted myself, they do a 7 and 9kw and are defra approved for burnibg wood in a smokeless zone. it kicks out shite loads of heat my only regret is i never had one years ago.
good luck on your search

cablefreejunkie
7th January, 2012, 03:22 PM

great idea,my folks got one last year,hooked it up to the water and rads,9kw,the heat it kicks out is immense,they got that to get rid of the gas bill,admittedly you have to get the fuel for it,but it works out cheaper for them,,im getting one in my gaff this year,,one other thing is getting the chimney lined,this has to be done if you want to get the full usage of the heat from the stove,if you dont you will loose some of the heat,,once the flu pipe is fitted a type of fine sand is dropped down and around the flu pipe to insulate the chimney stack,,a must imho
gtood luck with the spit swapping !

jcgrumbles
8th January, 2012, 12:42 AM
Cheers for all the replies and help people,i have been informed by she who must be obeyed that when i have put a new bathroom suite in and re-tiled the bathroom,made a shower room,re-boarded and re-felted the garage roof,lined the soffits and fascias with upvc and done a spot of decorating......then i can have my stove.By the time i get all that done there wont be any trees left to burn,what a bitch..

the goat
8th January, 2012, 08:55 PM
will have to say to you, i've had a two in my home over past 20 odd years, they can be dusty when you clean them out, and they need de-ashed at least every other day

jcgrumbles
8th January, 2012, 09:15 PM
will have to say to you, i've had a two in my home over past 20 odd years, they can be dusty when you clean them out, and they need de-ashed at least every other day
Cheers the goat,it looks a s though i wont be getting one for a while yet anyway,damn but it bugs me when shes right...