PDA

View Full Version : tablet- net protection

icepick
4th October, 2011, 03:41 PM
Bought a 10" tablet for family use running android 2.2. Had this been a PC,two programs I would have installed are..
CCleaner
Antivirus/Malware

Are these available for android & any recommendations ?

icepick
5th October, 2011, 06:14 PM
Well ...When no-one's answered for 24hrs it usually means they don't know !

So,the below is for information or discussion ! (Information obtained from different group...)

============================================
CCleaner type app for android?

Does anyone know if a app, like the ccleaner for windows is available for android?

Now I know that android is linux based, therefore there is no need for a registry cleaner, but with the constant install and then removal of apps (now i am assuming here) there must be some sort of footprint left behind which needs deleting?

thanks for any help and advice
========================================
i am not sure if this is right because i am also quite new to android, but:

android is not windows. When you install a programm there is one .apk.. probably it creates a folder on the sd.. thats it. There is no registry, programs do not mess around @ system files.

Uninstalling means deleting the apk.. perhaps you have to remove the folder @ sdcard yourself.. thats all i guess.

I installed a couple of roms without wiping and many many apps, and my system is still clean what i can see (and fast like on the first day..)
=========================================

Well when you uninstall an application you not only have the .apk in /data/app/ but the application data in /data/data/ which is removed when you properly uninstall the application, not just deleting the apk. The "cache" you are seeing is browser, maps etc. data. You can manually do this in application manager by clicking the name then clear cache.

The only extra data you might have would be if the application has data on the sdcard which I find most applications do not remove if it's an external download such as skins. So there really is no need for any type of cleaning tools, none of which would clean out anything on /system/ unless it's a rooted application so there should be no need for that.
============================================

Any thoughts/comments or Thanks !

Regards

TheCoder
5th October, 2011, 07:51 PM
If you haven't 'rooted' the device then everything should be sandboxed. It should be next to impossible for one task to interfere with another or for any application to interfere with anything it does not have the priviledges to access. Thats one of the reasons why Android is so attractive to mobile and tablet manufacturers - in its default condition its very well protected.

As mentioned in your previous post - its not windows. Its a linux OS with java type application sandboxing. There is no registry to clean. All system settings are in text files which would normally be inaccessible to all but system administrators (root users).

Although virii can occur in linux the sandboxing should isolate any rogue application and prevent it from affecting anything else.