PDA

View Full Version : can a tv Aerial be used

billy2
5th October, 2011, 12:14 PM
hi guys can a tv Outdoor Aerial be used as a wifi Directional Aerial ???

cheers

billy2
12th October, 2011, 11:25 PM
take that as a no then ???

Canker_Canison
14th October, 2011, 03:14 PM
That's a no.

Tv signals operate on a different frequency to wi-fi.

I can't remember the wave length of wi-fi off the top of my head, but it's somewhere near 10mm for the smallest antenna and multiples of for higher gain antennas.

If I had the time I'd google it. Try instrutcables.com (prob spelt that wrong lol)

Egren71
14th October, 2011, 11:53 PM
I would also put that as a no.
It is not the industry i work in and it has been many years since i did this at school but from memory.
Aerials work by the length of the aerial being an exact ratio of the length of the radio wave e.g. 1 : 2 or 1 : 4 or some other exact ratio. Something like 1.69 : 3 wouldn't work.
I don't think they can be longer than the wave length so 2 : 1 wouldn't work. Also the cross bars on Yagi aerials do something to shape the reception.
So the odds of the TV aerial being the exact correct length to be the correct ratio for Wifi wave length is small. Also i haven't checked but i would suspect that the aerial would be longer than WiFi wave length.
So to finish and partly to contradict myself you could use the the TV aerial as an WiFi aerial but it wouldn't have any special properties and would be as effective as using say the side of your washing machine. That is to say any metal surface has some effect on reception but probably not as much or in the way you want want.

If someone wants to correct me on any of this i am happy to be corrected, as i have said it has been many, many years.

billy2
19th October, 2011, 01:44 AM
anyone know what the best cable to use for wifi ??? looking around the sites there saying use lmr400 cable but this looks like gold dust to find ????

cheers

mtv1
19th October, 2011, 02:02 AM
Solwise Wireless Networking - Cables and Pigtails (http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-cable.htm) here billy cheap as chips and reliable ;) hope its what your looking for ??