PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Wireless USB adapter

jphopkins
6th October, 2011, 06:29 PM
Recently I have changed my broadband supplier from Virgin Media to Sky and have since decided to locate my wireless router away from my desktop, due to issues with the length and operability of the phone line, so have bought an Edimax 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB adapter (model number EW-7622UMn) to make my desktop wireless. I had to restore my desktop to factory settings as it was loaded with so much junk and running so slow, and since I have done this I have tried to install the adapter onto the desktop, which seems to have INSTALLED correctly but is not OPERATING properly.

a) the adapter software does not always find my wireless network (i would say 1% of the time it finds it)

b) the software doesnt always work itself...

Now i think it may be partly to do with the drivers and updates needed for the desktop - after all it was bought in 2001, yet having restored it it has lost everything, but obviously i cannot update it as it wont connect to the internet...

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

tigger001
6th October, 2011, 07:45 PM
If your pc has a ethernet port connect it to the router with a ethernet cable then do all of the updates includeing any for the wireless adapter , then disconect the cable and the wireless should work ok.

Canker_Canison
7th October, 2011, 04:35 PM
Had this problem with a laptop the other day. Until Windows updated the wifi would only accept WEP encryption. No ~~~~ing good when ya on WPA2.

I'd stick with using the network cable if you can get away with it. It's easier & faster than wifi.