PDA

View Full Version : 2000 BMW 540i - Replacing Dash

OdoFix
6th October, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Question for you guys, my customer wants me to change the dash on 2000 540i since his pixels are burned and adjust the miles to correct miles. Problem is not sure if i just change it will it work, or do i have to replace the chip inside. Basiclly is vin info stored inside the dash?

Also what eeprom is inside, and is it only dash or LCM, EWS?

Thank you
Odofix

smokey08
6th October, 2011, 10:12 PM
Leave ews and lcm as they are. In new cluster (93c66?) change vin and km. vin is probably encoded. if you dont change vin to match the lcm the tamperdot will light up.

tranzavanza
7th October, 2011, 05:39 AM
Is repairing the dash an option?

OdoFix
7th October, 2011, 03:41 PM
Is repairing the dash an option?

Yes, that may be an option, but I have never repaired, one of this... any instructions? i hear there is a ribbon you have to solder and its very very hard. you might break the whole thing...

tranzavanza
8th October, 2011, 03:33 AM
Yes, that may be an option, but I have never repaired, one of this... any instructions? i hear there is a ribbon you have to solder and its very very hard. you might break the whole thing...

it wouldn't be too hard if it had to be soldered. the ribbon that has to be replaced is hot glued to the printed board.

Look around the forum you'll find the instructions.
You can find the ribbon on ebay, make sure you also buy the soldering iron tool to do the job.

TULGEYWOODMAN
8th October, 2011, 09:21 PM
swap eeprom?

roth18
9th October, 2011, 02:28 AM
1st you have to see what EEPROM you have if M35080 -> take the dash out and read with programmer on the back of the board OR take the pins out and swap the EEPROM if 93c56 you can do through diagnostic connector (with PaSoft or others) or plugs in the back or by swapping the EEPROM.

FYI 2001 and up had M35080 (without round diagnostic connector under the hood).