PDA

View Full Version : installing ubuntu 11.04 onto an external hd

tamgunner
10th October, 2011, 05:56 PM
hi guys i installed ubuntu 11.04 to my external hd i managed to boot into it but it says theres not root partition and i need to do it through the partitioning menu which i cannot access any ideas?

Egren71
11th October, 2011, 01:58 AM
When you say you managed to boot into it at which point did it fail. If you get to a desktop then you must have a root partition.
Regardless if you can't get into the partition menu then use the install medium, boot that up to a desktop and use that to set a root partition. There isn't actually a partition menu in linux what there is is a system menu with an administration entry and in that entry is either disk manager and/or gparted which are programs to manage your disks.
Alternatively if it is a fresh install you could try installing again paying more attention to when it partitions your drive as it is at this point it sets your root partition. Your root partition is marked as / in linux.

fultank72
15th January, 2012, 01:32 AM
Hi There,

Just have a look at this link How to dual Boot Windows And Linux. - YouTube
and follow

Pretty easy

Enjoy it

hi guys i installed ubuntu 11.04 to my external hd i managed to boot into it but it says theres not root partition and i need to do it through the partitioning menu which i cannot access any ideas?

fultank72
15th January, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi There,

Just have a look at this link How to dual Boot Windows And Linux. - YouTube
and follow

Pretty easy

Enjoy it