PDA

View Full Version : sony experia x8

standarren
11th October, 2011, 12:12 PM
just wondered what you guys think of this phone i have the sanfrancisco from orange and love the android o/s but the radio is crap so need a louder phone for the radio
what you think guys

happy_highlander
11th October, 2011, 01:29 PM
Why don't you just root the sanfrancisco and stick a custom rom on there that supports voodoo sound, any darkcore kernel will do it and I'm sure there are a few others now. That's assuming the sanfrancisco supports voodoo but most phones aren't very loud left as stock

standarren
11th October, 2011, 01:50 PM
Why don't you just root the sanfrancisco and stick a custom rom on there that supports voodoo sound, any darkcore kernel will do it and I'm sure there are a few others now. That's assuming the sanfrancisco supports voodoo but most phones aren't very loud left as stock

not sure i can be bothered with the san francisco my wife ay be having that one so it wont go to waste i did try poweramp on it to be honest it was hardly noticable
can the experien x8 or x10 be unlocked

Canker_Canison
11th October, 2011, 02:17 PM
As a general rule - Stay away from Sony Ericsson if you're looking for a well equipped, reliable phone.
They've been releasing shite for quite a while now.

And, no, they are not easy to unlock.

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is a good phone, as is the htc Wildfire S

happy_highlander
11th October, 2011, 06:21 PM
Easiest phone to root and unlock is also one of the best left stock so if you can pick up a galaxy s at a decent price now that the s2 has been out a while you will be on to a winner. My s is running a custom darkcore kernel with voodoo sound and with the pre amp turned up on power amp I can't turn the volume up full on the house stereo or in the car or van. Well I can but your ears bleed which is good for me being an ac/dc fan

andy1weir
12th October, 2011, 06:10 PM
As a general rule - Stay away from Sony Ericsson if you're looking for a well equipped, reliable phone.
They've been releasing shite for quite a while now.

And, no, they are not easy to unlock.

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is a good phone, as is the htc Wildfire S

i think youre completely wrong their mate,

ive got an 10i the big one, the phone wasnt shit it was the crappy 2.3 gb rom they put on it, ive got mine all customed out, great phone, great quality, great cam, no complaints to be honest, easy enough to unlock, unlocked bootloader too,

Canker_Canison
14th October, 2011, 04:16 PM
i think youre completely wrong their mate,

ive got an 10i the big one, the phone wasnt shit it was the crappy 2.3 gb rom they put on it, ive got mine all customed out, great phone, great quality, great cam, no complaints to be honest, easy enough to unlock, unlocked bootloader too,

So to get a half decent phone you had to flash it with a custom ROM. Sounds like an Ishite to me.

What's your quadrant score?

Just tested my S2 - 3297

That's the standard 2.3.3 Gingerbread (SIM free)

I'm paying ?27 per month with Orange.

When you compare the price with the quadrant score.... Who got the better deal?

I'm not just an Apple bashing Samsung freak, I work in the mobile industry. Repairing, unlocking, selling. My thoughts & words are based on what I've had to deal with. They are also founded on the wealth of knowledge available on the internet regarding phones & their strengths & weaknesses. You will also find others on here that know the industry & share the sentiment.

happy_highlander
14th October, 2011, 06:17 PM
So to get a half decent phone you had to flash it with a custom ROM. Sounds like an Ishite to me.

What's your quadrant score?

Just tested my S2 - 3297

That's the standard 2.3.3 Gingerbread (SIM free)

I'm paying ?27 per month with Orange.

When you compare the price with the quadrant score.... Who got the better deal?

I'm not just an Apple bashing Samsung freak, I work in the mobile industry. Repairing, unlocking, selling. My thoughts & words are based on what I've had to deal with. They are also founded on the wealth of knowledge available on the internet regarding phones & their strengths & weaknesses. You will also find others on here that know the industry & share the sentiment.

I very much doubt if anyone will put the quadrant score of an experia on especially if it is still stock. And I agree that there is nothing wrong with stock gingerbread having used it for a while on my s before changing to the custom on a 2.3.4 gb base mainly to get rid off the pre installed apps I don't want and get better sound when using it as media player, I got a quadrant of 2264 at the last pass. My s is also sim free and pay ?18 a month on talkmobile who use a vodafone network, with the bonus of unlimited data with no fair use policy

standarren
23rd October, 2011, 01:50 PM
can any one help me rooting my x8
really chuffed with it to be honest but it does lock up now and again so reckon new rom will do the trick but cant find a new tutorial that will work

happy_highlander
23rd October, 2011, 08:54 PM
Are you definite that you want to root it, it will void the warranty and does come with risks, the main one being bricking the phone. What do you hope to gain from rooting?? If you want to install a custom rom after rooting I suggest you read up a lot more as I found a rooting guide within minutes of looking for it and the damage you can do with super user privileges if you haven't made yourself familiar with the do's and dont's for your model if phone and known pitfalls that come with rooting then don't do it. All makes of phones have different problems associated with rooting and custom roms

standarren
24th October, 2011, 05:04 AM
I have found some guides but didnt want to do it just in case some one said (no thats the old tut use this one)
it seems to happen all the time so thought i would ask first
as for the bricking i did read somewhere as long as you back up things should be ok ?
the question i've been also trying to find is whats the benefit of rooting a phone ?

happy_highlander
24th October, 2011, 09:15 AM
Most rooting can be done by the super one click method but you will need to read up on problems specific to your phone. I do know there is something about the boot loader needing to be 15 to allow installation of a custom rom on the x8. When I get a chance I will start a new thread on benefits and pitfalls of rooting in general to help yourself and anybody else that has the same question. I'll also have a look and see if there is anything else specific to the x8 that requires attention before rooting.

standarren
24th October, 2011, 11:40 AM
Most rooting can be done by the super one click method but you will need to read up on problems specific to your phone. I do know there is something about the boot loader needing to be 15 to allow installation of a custom rom on the x8. When I get a chance I will start a new thread on benefits and pitfalls of rooting in general to help yourself and anybody else that has the same question. I'll also have a look and see if there is anything else specific to the x8 that requires attention before rooting.

thanks mate thats very helpfull

happy_highlander
24th October, 2011, 06:21 PM
Have quick read here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=210507 I forgot southern comfort had done an overview of rooting. He has only listed the benefits but as long as you follow the guide lines you won't find any disadvantages. You must however keep in mind that root privileges allow you to delete anything. For instance after I rooted my first phone I managed to delete my launcher meaning even though the phone was fully functional I could only see a black screen and my lock screen (and I understood the process) so it goes to show that even with good info one small mistake can have catastrophic consequences, I did fix it but was sweating for a good hour. Luckily I use a galaxy s and can access a maintenance screen without having to use the android launcher