PDA

View Full Version : Wireless N Access Point with USB and 4 port LAN

mrblue
13th October, 2011, 09:07 AM
I am looking for a wireless n access point for upstairs. My bt infinity router is downstairs and signal is poor upstairs. Ive already run a 20m cat5e cable from the router to where I want the access point to sit.

I need the access point to be N and to have lan ports so I can connect my upstairs dreambox too and connect my xbox 360 directly by ethernet.

I also need a usb port to put my external hdd on the network......

Hope someone can help.....:top:

tigger001
13th October, 2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know about wireless but these are what I use for my ethernet
Netgear GS105 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and this is handy for connecting usb device's to a wireless nrtwork
Belkin Network USB Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this info helps.

mrblue
13th October, 2011, 07:55 PM
Cheers mate, but must be an access point as its being used as a repeater...

tigger001
13th October, 2011, 08:44 PM
I think the only way you can do what you want wil be to connect a ethernet switch to the 20m cable upstairs then connect ( TP-Link TL-WA801ND Wireless N Access Point: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )
to the switch to give you wireless upstairs.
then any thing else that you need to connect with network cables can plug into the switch as well.
I have had a look round the internet and cant find any access points that have more than 1 lan port in them.

mrblue
13th October, 2011, 11:25 PM
Im nearly sure I seen access points with 4 ethernet ports but never took head as needed one with usb.

Its maybe not possible, why can I not just buy a second router and use it as an access point and take benefit on the lan ports and usb.

tigger001
15th October, 2011, 09:08 AM
If you buy a second wireless router for upstairs I think I have read somewhere on DK that the 2 routers would conflict with each other. and if you require usb ports for external harddrives the routers wont reconise the devices unless they are pluged into a usb/lan hub.

Fano
20th November, 2011, 11:47 PM
The Tp-Link WR741ND router can be flashed with Open wrt /Gargoyle firmware and be configured as an access point with 5 lan ports.
I use one,its very stable .