PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.10 Released

dave-h
13th October, 2011, 03:06 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 is now available to download

Download | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download)

For an overview of whats new/updated see vid below

http://youtu.be/dq4Oj5quskI

flyingpig
13th October, 2011, 10:43 PM
I am going along very happy with 10.04 LTS... Dont think I am going to update my very old Dell Inspiron 1300 with this -- Especially if its as hungry as 11.04...

Mjolinor
14th October, 2011, 03:14 PM
Since 11.04 I forced myself to use Unity, I left my other PCs on the Gnome classic. I just updated the Unity one to 11.10.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE

Unless you want to re-install from scratch. It is currently totally unusable.

I think all Ubuntu developers should be forced to answer correctly
"What do you do if something aint broke"
Answer
"Don't fix it"

The thing about Linux is that you have always been able to mend it by editing text based files, more and more that is now not possible starting with using UUIDs for the devices followed by Grub, X and a rake of other things that now need a reinstall when you break them.

I can feel a move to Mint coming on after being with Ubuntu exclusively since version 6

Egren71
15th October, 2011, 12:06 AM
I must say i agree with Mjolinor
I have been with Ubuntu for years and when i upgraded my distro to 11.04 i found it particularly unpleasant.
I spent a load of time switching everything back to the 10.10 look and feel and have since switched to Mint with Bodhi on my experimental machine.
So i will be waiting for the next version of Mint to be released in the hope that they haven't switched over to the Unity desktop..
Also having learned my lessons i have now installed VirtualBox from the virtualbox website not the OSE version from the repositories. And i install the newest releases into a virtual machine to see if i like them before updating my install.

luisme
19th November, 2011, 12:01 AM
I've learned one thing very best to provide you upgrade to a new version is to mount a HD clean and prove it then decide whether or not interested

iwantfiles
20th November, 2011, 05:15 AM
Ubuntu's the greatrest.

Furax
20th November, 2011, 06:13 PM
I must say i agree with Mjolinor
I have been with Ubuntu for years and when i upgraded my distro to 11.04 i found it particularly unpleasant.
I spent a load of time switching everything back to the 10.10 look and feel and have since switched to Mint with Bodhi on my experimental machine.
So i will be waiting for the next version of Mint to be released in the hope that they haven't switched over to the Unity desktop..
Also having learned my lessons i have now installed VirtualBox from the virtualbox website not the OSE version from the repositories. And i install the newest releases into a virtual machine to see if i like them before updating my install.

Glad its not just me. Been using ubuntu since the 5.10 but Im considering jumping ship now. I dont like gnome3 all that much and unity sucks.

XFCE seems the way to go for a desktop now

andil
22nd November, 2011, 11:52 AM
am so satisfied with ubuntu 10.04 it has lots of utilities....my problem has been configuring it such that am able to use my modem because it recognizes it as a USB if anyone know how to do it help me out

wvwaterrat
29th November, 2011, 07:58 PM
I have had Ubuntu 8.04 on my box for years and am thinking about an upgrade. Don't like the sound of v11 instability. I've tried CruchBang on another box and it seems to work well.

Does Mint have a lot of overhead?
Same question for Ubuntu 10.04?

mikelinho92
27th December, 2011, 09:10 PM
I am just uprading to this version of ubunt...it looks great..

fijiman
5th January, 2012, 01:44 AM
I'm very new to the Ubuntu scene.... install of 11.10 went ok but experiencing crashes randomly after boot up...the screen freezes .... very frustrating... any help..?

Qujo86
22nd January, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hello.

Could anyone help me to auto reboot my ubuntu 11.10 at 03:00 every night ?

egidijus
22nd January, 2012, 11:12 PM
Try tris tutorial Schedule A Task To Shutdown Or Restart Ubuntu Automatically | Liberian Geek (http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/06/schedule-a-task-to-shutdown-or-restart-ubuntu-automatically/) or somethink in synaptic

Teacake
29th January, 2012, 12:37 PM
Has anybody used the new ubuntu on a netbook. I have tried many ubuntu distros but never really found one that worked successfully.:party:

ticutzel
30th January, 2012, 09:41 AM
ubuntu 11.10 has same problem like 11.04 with wifi network card bcm4309 ?:-s

BRASS EAGLE
31st January, 2012, 10:43 PM
Which version I've tried the latest version and likevthe other member it's useless unless you do a total re instalment