PDA

View Full Version : Sky Basic, Sky+ and Sky freesat, do's & donts ?

Saltire
29th December, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, first of all, iam not talking about cardsharing or anything like that in this thread, just legit sky....

If a person has a sky dish and wants a basic sky tv pack, say maybe freesat or ordinary sky freeview, whats the difference with ordinary sky free channels and freesat channels ?? i see that freesat boasts a wopping 240 channels, dont know how many free channels an ordinary sky box etc, is it the same ??

Another thing, they says (sky i mean), they says in order to take a telephone and broadband package that a person has to subscribe to a tv package to and its 17quid a month just for the basic tv pack, i thank thats a con, dont you ??

Finally, what if you bought the sky box yourself, either the basic one or freesat or sky + box's and just hooked that up to the dish, what channels would be available then ? and would the sky+ box be able to record and stuff too ??

Gets confusing, ehh ? lol

tansky
29th December, 2008, 09:13 PM
yeah you can buy a sky box and dish and hook it up your self you will then get the freeview channels, as for the sky+ box you need to do somthing to it to get it to work with out a subscription not sure what it is but do a search, as for freesat i aint sure supposed to be good

Saltire
29th December, 2008, 09:21 PM
yeah you can buy a sky box and dish and hook it up your self you will then get the freeview channels, as for the sky+ box you need to do somthing to it to get it to work with out a subscription not sure what it is but do a search, as for freesat i aint sure supposed to be good

hmmm, ye more info on freesat would be good if anyone knows, and the sky+.

krazylegz
29th December, 2008, 09:30 PM
first of all moved to correct forum...............

there is far more channels on freesat than on just a skybox with a FTV card.

if you just have a sky box with no card then you hardly receive any channels.....not even CH4 or CH5.

you cant use the recordng features of a sky+ box without a valid subscription.

for a list of channels on freesat look here Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D at 28.2?E - LyngSat (http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html)

Saltire
29th December, 2008, 09:37 PM
first of all moved to correct forum...............

there is far more channels on freesat than on just a skybox with a FTV card.

if you just have a sky box with no card then you hardly receive any channels.....not even CH4 or CH5.

you cant use the recordng features of a sky+ box without a valid subscription.

for a list of channels on freesat look here Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D at 28.2?E - LyngSat (http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html)

thanks for that great info mate.

so i guess the freesat box can take a card same as the ordinary sky box takes a card ?? ohh and are the fta cards free from sky ?
That bring me to another question, if they both can take a card then could you at some point call sky up and tell them to switch on channels like sky sports/movies etc even with the freesat box/card (obviously at a charge).

And, I understand that if a person is thinking of buying into sky then they would be best to get the basic box off them free of charge and brand new, thats ok, but what if you wanted to try freesat or the sky+ box, would a person be better to try and pick one of these boxs up elsewhere cheaper than buying from sky ?

Saltire
30th December, 2008, 02:33 AM
does freesat come from same sat as ordinary sky channels ??

is it the card that does all the work then or the box, must be the card i think, is it ?

felix1
30th December, 2008, 07:59 AM
trouble is to get the sky boxes without any contract is quite expensive.(?100+) could you not do with a second hand one (?10-30)?

i always thought a sky box plus a card(old) would give you teh same number of channels as a 'freesat' system. you get channel 4 and 5 plus all the free rubbish like shopping channels and music stuff and movies for men ect.
as for 240 channels, that would include the radio channles which im sure are at least 100 i would look at the quality of wot u get as opposed to how many channels. ie who wants 50 shopping channels?

Saltire
30th December, 2008, 08:27 PM
trouble is to get the sky boxes without any contract is quite expensive.(?100+) could you not do with a second hand one (?10-30)?

i always thought a sky box plus a card(old) would give you teh same number of channels as a 'freesat' system. you get channel 4 and 5 plus all the free rubbish like shopping channels and music stuff and movies for men ect.
as for 240 channels, that would include the radio channles which im sure are at least 100 i would look at the quality of wot u get as opposed to how many channels. ie who wants 50 shopping channels?

yea i know what you mean mate with regards to the shopping channels and radio stations, lol.

But the boxs i refer to would be second hand ones purchased from the likes of ebay, theres always ones for sale on there and with the freeview card included, but i dont know if its better for someone to just buy a box second hand with card etc or get it as part of the install from sky themselfs, not sure which way is best ?

And the sky+ box, you can get them second hand too, but ive been hearing they wont record etc without a subscription, dunno if thats true , why the hell would that be when its just a hard drive recorder, thats another con, is it not ? I would probably have to take a subscription anyway as they say they wont give the phone package without a tv subscription, thats a bit of a ~~~~in con i thinks.

.: JaCkPoT :.
31st December, 2008, 01:37 AM
ch4 and ch5 are now fta and have been for a while now,,,, for ch4 it is on a newer transponder and is not encrypted... same with ch5....