PDA

View Full Version : Gas & Electricity cost calculator

hypersonic
17th October, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have written a spreadsheet program to calculate the annual cost of gas and electricity based on the kilowatt hours used or in the case of gas, either kilowatt hours, cubic meters or cubic feet. To use the program you also need standing charge details and cost per kilowatt hour of both fuels from your supplier. There are three sheets to allow a comparison of 3 suppliers. The program allows the input of both standing charge and non standing charge tariffs and can be in excel (xls) or openoffice spreadsheet (ods) format. If anybody is interested, I will upload to this thread. :beer:

wetdog
17th October, 2011, 05:10 PM
im interested dude, very interested.

mick.

flyingpig
17th October, 2011, 10:26 PM
Yep - interested.,.,

hypersonic
18th October, 2011, 03:54 PM
The data already entered in the green boxes are typical examples and sheets 1,2 & 3 are examples of three different suppliers. The Gas calculation works on kwhrs ~ If you enter the cubic metres used or cubic feet(x100) then the yellow box next to the green input box will calculate the kwhr ~ just enter this figure into the green kwhr box. ~ only the green boxes allow data input all the other boxes are locked to prevent you overwriting the formulae ~ the supplier box also allows you to change supplier name. If you need help pls post or pm. (error in daily standing charge calculation ~ should read daily charge = annual charge/365x100)

The programs are attached below

mlhifi
6th November, 2011, 04:14 PM
I have written a spreadsheet program to calculate the annual cost of gas and electricity based on the kilowatt hours used or in the case of gas, either kilowatt hours, cubic meters or cubic feet. To use the program you also need standing charge details and cost per kilowatt hour of both fuels from your supplier. There are three sheets to allow a comparison of 3 suppliers. The program allows the input of both standing charge and non standing charge tariffs and can be in excel (xls) or openoffice spreadsheet (ods) format. If anybody is interested, I will upload to the downloads section. :beer:

I'm definitely interested. I had a similar spreadsheet for some years, downloaded from I-can't-remember-where and I lost it in a "crash". I used it extensively, so I'm hoping yours is a good, or BETTER, alternative.
Thanks,
Mike

adamgrafton
7th November, 2012, 07:11 AM
calculator may come in real handy while I'm chasing a cheaper tariff.
Downside had to register to dowload rar, heyho more junk email.

hypersonic
12th November, 2012, 02:38 PM
calculator may come in real handy while I'm chasing a cheaper tariff.
Downside had to register to dowload rar, heyho more junk email.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

fandm
16th November, 2012, 11:02 PM
i have got einstien working mine out he's been at it for 3 years and still not cracked it

Cod3waX
30th November, 2012, 07:19 PM
there was a government thing afew weeks ago about gas and electric being made to put people onto the lowest tariffs if they werent already on it

GastonJ
30th November, 2012, 07:23 PM
there was a government thing afew weeks ago about gas and electric being made to put people onto the lowest tariffs if they werent already on it

That would be so they could announce this week that in order to subsidise renewable energy in future that prices would have to go up again. Give ?100 with one hand, take ?120 with the other. Still it gives people the impression that the government is on their side, doing something for them.

hypersonic
3rd December, 2012, 05:03 PM
If the energy companies are forced to put everybody on the lowest tariff, they will just raise the lowest tariff to be the same as the highest tarriff, then everybody will be on the same highest/lowest tarriff ~ more profit for the energy companies ~ simples! The politicians won't suffer as they can claim their energy costs on expenses ! :argh:

GastonJ
8th December, 2012, 04:57 PM
and now you can look forward to prices going up again

There has been a historic shift in the UN climate talks in Qatar, with the prospect of rich nations having to compensate poor nations for losses due to climate change.

The US has fiercely opposed the measure - it says the cost could be unlimited.

But after angry tussles throughout the night the principle of Loss and Damage is now in the final negotiating text.

Already poor nations are bitter that rich nations, particularly the US are dragging their feet over a promise made at the failed Copenhagen climate summit to mobilise $100bn by 2020 to help poor nations get clean energy and adapt to climate change.

The developing countries say the original sum was too low - especially in the light of Mr Obama's request to Congress for Sandy damages of $60bn, and the UK's bid to raise ?200bn for clean energy by 2020.

BBC News - Doha climate talks: US faces dilemma over final text (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20650534)

How nice of the government to pay, since it's with our money not theirs. I doubt China, Russia and others will bother to pay anything.

kudus
10th January, 2013, 10:48 AM
calculator may come in real handy while I'm chasing a cheaper tariff. Downside had to register to dowload rar, heyho more junk email.

wudwurks
4th April, 2013, 10:10 PM
Please upload you spread sheet pls.

wudwurks

bloggins
5th April, 2013, 07:11 PM
Just been stung by a massive energy bill. The weasels snuck in a tiered rate with a much higher upper band just as the weather turned cold! Hope this spreadsheet helps sort the wheat from my current chaff

GastonJ
7th April, 2013, 10:19 AM
Always been curious on this one. If they estimate your bill, and as a result charge you at the higher rate, then a year later read it, and the average means that you woud never have hit the higher rate that they estimated, do they stick their hands up and give you money back?

hypersonic
8th April, 2013, 11:57 AM
Please upload you spread sheet pls.

wudwurks

Spread sheet is still there in post 4

Hyper

hypersonic
8th April, 2013, 12:09 PM
Always been curious on this one. If they estimate your bill, and as a result charge you at the higher rate, then a year later read it, and the average means that you woud never have hit the higher rate that they estimated, do they stick their hands up and give you money back?

There are two basic tariffs and then variations on each one.
There is a basic rate per kilowatt hour for both electricity and Gas, then they add a daily service charge, usually in pence per day, then 5% VAT. If the kilowatt hour rate appears to be cheap then beware of the daily standing charge which will ramp up the cost.
Then there is the non standing charge tariff which hits you with an extortionate rate per kilowatt hour for the first few hundred kilowatt hours and then the rate is reduced for the remaining useage.
For the average user there is no difference in annual cost between the 2 basic tariffs. If you know the number of kilowatt hours you use over the year then use my spreadsheet to compare all the suppliers.

cablefreejunkie
18th July, 2013, 10:15 AM
could i get a copy please ? very handy to have
cheers