PDA

View Full Version : Root Galaxy S-II

burro08
18th October, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hi is it needed for cracked apps? And if so how do.I do it?

Thanks

happy_highlander
19th October, 2011, 08:35 AM
No you do not need to root android to run cracked apps.

burro08
19th October, 2011, 02:10 PM
how do u instal new themes then? and choose them?

Thanks

happy_highlander
19th October, 2011, 04:45 PM
new themes require a custom rom which does require root unless you use the adw or go launcher available from the app market I'm sure they can both use different themes but I'm not to sure if the themes require root but if you are interested in root have a look here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f198/how-root-galaxy-s2-i9100-229360/ this will give you all the info and files you need to root an s2 but it is not without risk.By following the instructions carefully you will be ok but I do stress carefully, and one other tip is do not attempt to install a custom rom if the phone is sim locked

burro08
19th October, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks man

happy_highlander
19th October, 2011, 05:42 PM
After a quick look both go launcher and adw do not require root for the themes and go launcher ex seems to have the most themes, the majority of them are free

burro08
19th October, 2011, 10:42 PM
cheers my man

Lyrrad
24th October, 2011, 09:44 PM
and one other tip is do not attempt to install a custom rom if the phone is sim locked

Loving my s2 after HTC Desire. If you don't recommend custom rom on sim locked phone why should I consider rooting it? Is that s2 specific advise?

happy_highlander
25th October, 2011, 12:03 AM
Loving my s2 after HTC Desire. If you don't recommend custom rom on sim locked phone why should I consider rooting it? Is that s2 specific advise?

It's not specific to the s2 not to install custom rom on sim locked phone it shouldn't be done on any sim locked phone. Rooting any phone will give you total control over what you want to stay on the phone and what you don't, especially for sim locked phones...By rooting the phone then using titanium backup which requires root you can freeze or delete all the unwanted bloatware (carrier specific apps) that you don't need or want this in turn will stop them from launching at start up freeing up memory and allowing your phone to boot and run faster and smoother and what is specific to the s2 is that after root you can remove the simlock after making a backup of your efs folder which stores you imei number just incase you ~~~~ it up during the unlock. In short rooting gives you total control over the android operating system which can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands as you can delete anything with super user priveleges but used sensibly it is no more dangerous than running as administrator in windows and we all do that all the time

Lyrrad
25th October, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for clarification. Rooted Desire and saw advantage, but that was because Froyo hadn't been released and was not possible to put apps on SD card then without rooting.

For me I'm not gonna fix it if it aint broke. My unrooted S2 is fine for me at the moment.

happy_highlander
25th October, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for clarification. Rooted Desire and saw advantage, but that was because Froyo hadn't been released and was not possible to put apps on SD card then without rooting.

For me I'm not gonna fix it if it aint broke. My unrooted S2 is fine for me at the moment.

Don't blame you one bit. I haven't rooted my wifes either, with a quadrant score of over 3100 straight out the box it really doesn't need it. If you are having trouble with length of time the battery lasts, juice defender ultimate now works on stock roms allowing you to set auto enable/disable of wifi and data and can also configure apps do that if they don't use internet e.g. calculator and the likes they are turned of when that asp is used. This asp used to require root but now works with stock and saves loads of battery.

There are no snakes they should all be apps

harjybarjy
15th November, 2011, 12:10 AM
agree with the not needing to root the S2, although I did root mine however when asked what benefits i'd gained, there wasnt much I could think of.

happy_highlander
15th November, 2011, 01:28 AM
agree with the not needing to root the S2, although I did root mine however when asked what benefits i'd gained, there wasnt much I could think of.

The only real benefit I can think of with rooting the s2 is that you don't need to update with kies, cause that will ~~~~ things up at some point lol

Canker_Canison
16th November, 2011, 04:59 PM
I never use Kies to update.

All phones I touch are updated with Odin. Quicker easier & more reliable.

happy_highlander
16th November, 2011, 07:32 PM
I never use Kies to update.

All phones I touch are updated with Odin. Quicker easier & more reliable.

I agree completely kies is just a problem waiting to happen. I have had a few people come to me for help cause kies has lost the bootloader during an update or backup

KingDingeling
18th November, 2011, 01:35 PM
just needed root for some apps.
like adfree ;)

16th February, 2012, 01:52 PM
I cant take a photos then battery level is less that 13%. Is some methods to crack this?

happy_highlander
18th February, 2012, 08:45 PM
I cant take a photos then battery level is less that 13%. Is some methods to crack this?

Requires root and custom rom with camera hack

gaasim
21st February, 2012, 09:04 PM
Odin is always your own risk???

happy_highlander
21st February, 2012, 09:48 PM
Odin is always your own risk???

It may well be but kies is a bigger risk at least used properly odin doesn't fail and as long as you are flashing an official samsung rom you still have manufacturers warranty, no terms and conditions state you must use kies to update. Or not that I'm aware of anyway