PDA

View Full Version : 360p

Maddog
30th December, 2008, 10:16 PM
my son has just got 360 4 xmas wants 2 go live how do i do this. modem has 1 ethernet port which is used for my pc and he has an ethernet cable for the 360. i would be greatful 4 any help as he thinks i am clever ha ha thank you

C64
30th December, 2008, 10:33 PM
You will need to buy a cheap router.

You can get a 4 port wireless router for under ?20 these days.

This will allow you to connect your PC and Xbox to the Internet plus another 2 wired devices, and a shit load of wireless devices.

Maddog
30th December, 2008, 10:52 PM
thank you very much for your prompt reply, would this just be a matter of install or would there be setting changes.

C64
30th December, 2008, 10:56 PM
If you are using the wireless side of the router then it needs some simple configuration to setup encryption etc, but if you are going to connect via a LAN cable then it's very simple.

Basically what you'll do is...

1. Plug your modem in to the router using the existing cable.

2. Get another network cable and insert one end into the router and the other end into the PC - this will allow your PC to access the Internet via the router.

3. Get another cable and plug one end into the router and the other end into the Xbox360 Let the Xbox detect the settings itself - this will allow the Xbox access to the Internet.

You will not need to reconfigure anything, both the PC and the Xbox will use DHCP on the router to acquire a local IP address and the router will then route all traffic for you automatically.

(Some routers needs some slight configuration, such as you manually having to enable the DHCP server, but the majority of routers come with DHCP enabled)

So your shopping list so far is ...

1 router
1 cable

Maddog
30th December, 2008, 10:58 PM
thank you very much

Maddog
31st December, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks witchy2k1 up and runuing and my son thinks i am the hero all thanks to you, all the best for the New Year

C64
31st December, 2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks witchy2k1 up and runuing and my son thinks i am the hero all thanks to you, all the best for the New Year

~~~~ing hell mate, that was quick.

You're not one for wasting time. :)

Well done mate.