PDA

View Full Version : Spaces ubuntu

umby
26th October, 2011, 11:18 AM
How can I disable three spaces and keep one only?
We use ubuntu 11 at school and I 'd like to avoid documents are opened randomly in spaces.
Thanks
Umby

Egren71
26th October, 2011, 02:14 PM
The easiest way to do this is
Open a Terminal and type gconf-editor
Navigate to apps > compiz-1 > general > screen0 > options
Update the number of workspaces by changing the values of the variables hsize and vsize, which represent the horizontal and vertical number of workspaces respectively (Set both of them to 1)
Then close gconf-editor
The changes are instant, no need for a reboot.
Be careful not to touch anything else in gconf-editor a you can really confuse the system.

This worked ok for me on 11.04 however it may be different on different versions of Ubuntu

Mjolinor
26th October, 2011, 02:16 PM
Right click it on the taskbar and set it to only show 1

Egren71
26th October, 2011, 02:20 PM
Right click it on the taskbar is the easiest way if you are running Gnome or Unity in Classic mode but the option is not there in Unity. Or at least its not there on my computer when i switch to Unity. I suppose you could switch to Classic mode, change the setting and then switch back to Unity.

Mjolinor
26th October, 2011, 04:54 PM
Right click it on the taskbar is the easiest way if you are running Gnome or Unity in Classic mode but the option is not there in Unity. Or at least its not there on my computer when i switch to Unity. I suppose you could switch to Classic mode, change the setting and then switch back to Unity.

There are people that use Unity :eek:

umby
27th October, 2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks but it doesn't work.

umby
27th October, 2011, 10:40 AM
Perfect, problem solved.
Thanks again
Umby

umby
27th October, 2011, 10:43 AM
I was referring to the method of Egren71: it works.