PDA

View Full Version : no space left 16gb card

standarren
26th October, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ok guys i find this really bad i have a few apps on my phone and also have a 16gb card installed i tried to add another app yesterday but my phone said it didnt have enough memory how can this be when i have 14gb left on the storage card is there a way around this ?

happy_highlander
26th October, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ok guys i find this really bad i have a few apps on my phone and also have a 16gb card installed i tried to add another app yesterday but my phone said it didnt have enough memory how can this be when i have 14gb left on the storage card is there a way around this ?

It is the phone that doesn't have enough storage. You need to go into your applications in setting and move whatever apps you can to the sd. Not all apps are supported but you should be able to shift a few over to give yourself some space

smirnoff_rules
26th October, 2011, 03:22 PM
sounds like a fake card ? can u plug into pc and format and see if u can drag 16gig into it ?

smirnoff_rules
26th October, 2011, 03:27 PM
How to test your memory card for genuineness?

As per my explanation above, just taking a few shots is not enough because the first GB of the card are probably in good working order. So to establish whether you card is good or not you need to perform some additional tests
1. Format the card

Do a FULL format? not a quick one as your operating system might offer you by default. A full format does more writing to the card than a quick format. If the format fails, if you get errors, you are likely to either have a genuine but defective card or a fake one.
2. Write/Read test the card

Download H2testw 1.4 (https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/), the gold standard in detecting counterfeit cards (it?s PC only and freeware but works if running Windows on your Mac). Connect a card reader to your computer and insert your memory card. Follow the instructions provided with the software. The software will write dummy data to the entire card and read it back. It will then compare the written and read data to ensure the card works well. If you get errors like in the example below, you have a fake card

Here is a sample output for a fake 64 GB card (a 4GB card sold as 64GB)

The media is likely to be defective.

3.8 GByte OK (8084847 sectors)

58.6 GByte DATA LOST (122921617 sectors)

Details:710.5 KByte overwritten (1421 sectors)

7.6 MByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 15630 sectors)

58.6 byte corrupted (122904566 sectors)

710.5 KByte aliased memory (1421 sectors)

First error at offset: 0x000000003cef8470

Expected: 0xeb7ac43a237c5170

Found: 0xeb7a843a237c5170

H2testw version 1.3

Writing speed: 9.24 MByte/s

Reading speed: 10.8 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

This is 4GB USB flash drive not a 64GB USB flash drive. It is of poor quality. As 4GB drive it should be about 3.9 GB not 3.8 GB formatted. This indicates in low level formatting a lot of bad sectors had to be locked out. Usually flash chips like these are rejected for major brands and should be destroyed. Unfortunately instead of the furnace flames these chips are leaving the back door of factories to be resold.

standarren
26th October, 2011, 04:10 PM
just to confirm the memory card is fine had it on another phone i've tried to look at the applications and move them but theres nothing that says move to sd card
the problem is i can put loads of stuff on the sd card fine no problem but when i install an app from sd it installs on the phone memory not the sd so i'm really limited for space ?

happy_highlander
26th October, 2011, 06:56 PM
just to confirm the memory card is fine had it on another phone i've tried to look at the applications and move them but theres nothing that says move to sd card
the problem is i can put loads of stuff on the sd card fine no problem but when i install an app from sd it installs on the phone memory not the sd so i'm really limited for space ?

That is the way it works but if you are on android 2.2 or above you can move the apps to external sd once they have been installed. On my sgs I go to settings then applications then manage apps. This brings up a list of all apps then just click on one and it brings up the option to clear the data, clear the cache, delete the app or move to sd

standarren
26th October, 2011, 07:06 PM
That is the way it works but if you are on android 2.2 or above you can move the apps to external sd once they have been installed. On my sgs I go to settings then applications then manage apps. This brings up a list of all apps then just click on one and it brings up the option to clear the data, clear the cache, delete the app or move to sd

thanks mate so how do i get 2.2

happy_highlander
26th October, 2011, 10:46 PM

2.2 is froyo and an old system and we are now at 2.3.4 official and 2.3.5 unofficial both gingerbread there should be something in the settings list that says about phone. that should tell you what android system you are on. And from the same menu you should have a software update option that should take you to the latest version for you phone. You may need to read up on it a bit more before you update anythng. I'm not to hot on the x8

Magjar
19th November, 2011, 06:01 AM

First you need to go to Settings, then About Phone, and look for your Android Version.

Let us know what the phone is and what android version you are using. Also, is it rooted and have you flashed any custom ROMs?

happy_highlander
21st November, 2011, 10:15 PM
First you need to go to Settings, then About Phone, and look for your Android Version.

Let us know what the phone is and what android version you are using. Also, is it rooted and have you flashed any custom ROMs?

It's not rooted and it's an experia x8

sloikas
25th March, 2012, 12:05 PM
Try to reformat sd card with gparted.