PDA

View Full Version : Eurovox2, silver box with 2 scarts.

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 02:51 PM
I have a Eurovox2 here, its the silver coloured box that has two scarts on the back, I bought it years ago within days/weeks of the boxs coming onto the market, so that will give ya a good idea exactly which box it is.

Anyways, question is, which cable do i use to flash it, is it null modem cable ?? I used a cable the other day to flash my dreambox, its female at both ends with 9 holes, is that a null modem cable and is that the one to use with the eurovox2 too ??? ive got so many daft cables laying around and they all look similar, hahaha, anyway, that one i used flashed the dreambox ok using the program dreamup, so does that give youz any idea exactly which type of cable that is ??

Jaffa
30th April, 2008, 03:11 PM
That sounds like a null modem cable o.k m8, same as for dreambox, just use the firmware in downloads section to run the new firmware, its very easy, just connect and load the firmware.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=28

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 05:37 PM
AWWW MAN :(, iam pissed off with this man, ive already bought a serial to usb cable (doesnt work on vista) and then now ive bought a serial port which plugs in directly into the motherboard 9 pin header, and still its not working ,ffss man :(, the serial rs232 null modem cable iam using is fine as ive used it just the other day to flash my dreambox on my old XP computer, this suks

Jaffa
30th April, 2008, 05:40 PM
Have a look at the link below, it may help.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1926

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 09:34 PM
Have a look at the link below, it may help.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1926

thanks mate but it doesnt help, my serial to usb cable wont even install as vista doesnt have the driver and its nowhere to be found on the net etc, so i gave up on the serial to usb cable long ago, lol.

But i had hoped today big time that this little serial port i bought that plugs directly into the motherboard serial port 9 pin header would give me joy, but nope, doesnt work, well it works, appears to be installed and all that but when i try and connect to the eurovox2 via the serialr,s232 cable it wont make contact with the box, dnupman just keeps sitting there saying waiting on response from box and nuffin happens :(

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 09:39 PM
has to be a port setting thats wrong .. try voxer instead m8 it finds more ports , its in downloads

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 09:49 PM
has to be a port setting thats wrong .. try voxer instead m8 it finds more ports , its in downloads

hmmm, voxer, new to me but i will give it a go my man, anythings worth a try, lol.

(you guys remembering this machine is running on vista, yea ??, just incase youz didnt).

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:14 PM
hmmm, voxer, new to me but i will give it a go my man, anythings worth a try, lol.

(you guys remembering this machine is running on vista, yea ??, just incase youz didnt).

ok i tried voxer too and still didnt work, i wonder if i should turn round the little plug that goes onto the 9 pins on the motherboard, looks correct the way it is though, but it will go round the other way too, anyone know if those sort of things carry any voltage that can damage computer components ?

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 10:16 PM
u have a serial port coming straight of the mother board ? u r sure its a serial .. have u tried your usb with voxer ?

vista driver .. usb to serial http://sewelldirect.com/Drivers/SW-1301-XP2K-FILES.zip

1 - Download the driver files for the USB to serial SW-1301

2 - Extract the files to a location that you recognize and will be able to find later.

3 - In the device manager (click start/Vista icon, Control Panel, Device Manger to access the device manger) right click on the USB - serial controller, which should have a yellow sign next to it, and click update driver software.

4 - A new window will pop up, click on “Browse my computer for driver software” and then click on the browse button. Locate and click on the folder that you extracted. Click ok and then next and windows should install the driver.

5 - Click finish and you should be set up and ready to use your serial device with Windows Vista. (If you still have problems make sure that you have the driver for your serial device installed correctly.)

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:21 PM
u have a serial port coming straight of the mother board ? u r sure its a serial .. have u tried your usb with voxer ?

yes mate and no, yes its a serial header that comes straight from the motherboard via a 9 pin ribbon cable, nearly all new computers nowdays "dont have a serial com port", but they should have a header on the motherboard that allows for ya to plug the port into (not pci), and no ive not tried the serial to usb cable with voxer as windows vista cant install the cable as it cant install a driver for it as i dont have one and it never came with one and vista just keeps saying its incompatible, phewwwwwww, lol, that was a lot of typing, hehehehe

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 10:25 PM
yes mate and no, yes its a serial header that comes straight from the motherboard via a 9 pin ribbon cable, nearly all new computers nowdays "dont have a serial com port", but they should have a header on the motherboard that allows for ya to plug the port into (not pci), and no ive not tried the serial to usb cable with voxer as windows vista cant install the cable as it cant install a driver for it as i dont have one and it never came with one and vista just keeps saying its incompatible, phewwwwwww, lol, that was a lot of typing, hehehehe

lv edited my post above with some driver info

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:25 PM

vista driver .. usb to serial http://sewelldirect.com/Drivers/SW-1301-XP2K-FILES.zip

2 - Extract the files to a location that you recognize and will be able to find later.

3 - In the device manager (click start/Vista icon, Control Panel, Device Manger to access the device manger) right click on the USB - serial controller, which should have a yellow sign next to it, and click update driver software.

4 - A new window will pop up, click on ?Browse my computer for driver software? and then click on the browse button. Locate and click on the folder that you extracted. Click ok and then next and windows should install the driver.

5 - Click finish and you should be set up and ready to use your serial device with Windows Vista. (If you still have problems make sure that you have the driver for your serial device installed correctly.)

but how can i use the driver your offering for my usb to serial cable when its most likley 99% not the correct one and vista simply will not have it, i have tried other drivers for the cable and they didnt work :(

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 10:29 PM
they must be very basic l would think , l know vista is a bastard for drivers put u never know , the worse thing is it wont install ? just an idea m8 .. or u need to get hold of someones old pc or xp one ..

any of these look the same http://www.cooldrives.com/wividrforprc.html

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:51 PM

4 - A new window will pop up, click on ?Browse my computer for driver software? and then click on the browse button. Locate and click on the folder that you extracted. Click ok and then next and windows should install the driver.

ok, tried this and it didnt work :(

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:51 PM
they must be very basic l would think , l know vista is a bastard for drivers put u never know , the worse thing is it wont install ? just an idea m8 .. or u need to get hold of someones old pc or xp one ..

any of these look the same http://www.cooldrives.com/wividrforprc.html

and tried one from that cooldrives site that looked like same cable, also didnt work :(

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:55 PM
you think i should try turning the port header round on the motherboard, it fits both ways but looks like the correct way just now, on the board it has 9 pins and on the connector it has ten holes, but when ya look very closley you can see which end has the 10th wire missing, so thats why i have it on like that if you know what i mean, it made sense, but iam still wondering if i should just maybe try it round the other way, BUT, AND ITS A BIG BUT, i dont know if those type of things carry any voltage that would harm the motherboard if it was wrong way round ???

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 10:59 PM
heres what vista says about the usb to serial cable>>>> see attachment.

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 11:00 PM
no idea m8 .. does it show a serial port in device manager ?

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 11:03 PM
yes i have com port 1 in there just as it usually is, tried changing the com number to 2,3,4,, etc etc, still no good..

This is my motherboard >>> http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1213&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 11:07 PM
tell me this, does it matter if the eurovox is on standby or on with the clock displayed ?? standy shows the clock, on shows 0000. i cleared data before i tried the first time earlier today etc, just incase iam missing summit really stupid here, never know , lol, its been yearsssss since i last flashed this box man.

smirnoff_rules
30th April, 2008, 11:07 PM
theres no reason for it not to work then ? ld try it the other way around ,, but thats up to u m8

Saltire
30th April, 2008, 11:56 PM
theres no reason for it not to work then ? ld try it the other way around ,, but thats up to u m8

ok tried that too, turned it round etc, nuffin, so i just put it back the way it looks to me its meant to be.

So lets see now, thats me not been able to do modems (hyperterminal typed gibberish text), eurovox2, dreambox or nuffin on this pc, brand new pc too , good one at that, vista all loaded etc,, ive now also bought a serial to usb cable (doesnt work) and now even a serial port that plugs direct into the motherboard (doesnt work).

I think thers summit not right here, lol, even the tech guys in the place i bought it from are baffled too, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 12:07 AM
heres another pic, see attachment >>>

(and thats with the cable or the port, same thing happens)

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 01:31 AM
listen, iam still playing with this daft thing, can someone try and remember back, wasnt there a way to turn on the emu or summit on the eurovox2, i cant remember man, its been so many years, i think its a code you enter in and press this n that button etc ?

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 03:04 AM
listen, iam still playing with this daft thing, can someone try and remember back, wasnt there a way to turn on the emu or summit on the eurovox2, i cant remember man, its been so many years, i think its a code you enter in and press this n that button etc ?

i worked out how to turn on the emu with the help of a good mate, so forget that last question, anyways, the pesky thing still aint going, ive emailed msi (motherboard manufacturer) to see if theres a fix for using serial header etc in windows vista, so i dunno, all i know is iam pissed off with it all man :( sittin here all day n nite like a tajjer, lol. :(

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 05:35 PM
ohh well, day 2 and still havent figure out how to get this serial port or cables working, emailed poxy Msi and got no response from them either, i ferkin give up man :(

smirnoff_rules
1st May, 2008, 05:41 PM
this is wot l did m8 .. l have an old serial to usb converter and do as this post .. didnt need any drivers http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=8511&postcount=3 might be an option

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 06:32 PM
this is wot l did m8 .. l have an old serial to usb converter and do as this post .. didnt need any drivers http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=8511&postcount=3 might be an option
Hi smirnoff, i think ive effectivley done what your on about in that link mate, I.E - ive got a usb to serial cable, and ive also got a serial port installed and i have the rs232 cable, so ive tried attaching one to the other and the other to the box and vice versa etc, hope you understand what iam meaning, but i think thats just the same as doing what you done in that link remembering that you dont have a serial port where'as i do allbeit i dont even know if its working :(, this is a nightmare man :(, never had such a hard time doing stuff like this man, things usually either work straight away or with a little tinkering, doesnt look like it in this case :(

smirnoff_rules
1st May, 2008, 06:36 PM
looks like u need to borrow a lads lappy or pc with xp on then . dont know m8 . the flashing the easy part

Saltire
1st May, 2008, 07:04 PM
looks like u need to borrow a lads lappy or pc with xp on then . dont know m8 . the flashing the easy part

yea i know, thats not a problem, i have an xp computer all setup upstairs and it has a serial port etc and flash's the box's just fine :), but its this pesky thing iam trying to get going, this new pc that had no serial port and windows vista.

Iam being honest, i think the problem may be with poxy vista/the hardware and drivers maybe, thats what i think, dunno though :(

jed
3rd May, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum so please be patient with me. With regards to your problem: dont waste your time trying to flash the box, Ive tried numerous times with no luck. Go to BigMaq web site and ON the toolbar obtain the 'Latest Keys' for your box and MANUALY input the keys into the box. Beleive you me I'm a first timer for this (today @ 15.30 hours) and I managed to complete the process within 5-minutes. Previous to this I had purchased RS232 leads, USB leads, etc and had no success. Contact me should you have any further problems

Saltire
3rd May, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum so please be patient with me. With regards to your problem: dont waste your time trying to flash the box, Ive tried numerous times with no luck. Go to BigMaq web site and ON the toolbar obtain the 'Latest Keys' for your box and MANUALY input the keys into the box. Beleive you me I'm a first timer for this (today @ 15.30 hours) and I managed to complete the process within 5-minutes. Previous to this I had purchased RS232 leads, USB leads, etc and had no success. Contact me should you have any further problems

no problem mate and thanks, but i already knew how to do that, still got the orginal problem here :(

smirnoff_rules
3rd May, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thomson's problem is only down to he pc .. lv flashed lots m8 . the vox and max r the easiest box to do .. 5 minutes and your way .. inserting keys ,,, why , at the end of the days its all about your settings on the pc . null cables r as basic as u can get

Saltire
3rd May, 2008, 11:09 PM
Thomson's problem is only down to he pc .. lv flashed lots m8 . the vox and max r the easiest box to do .. 5 minutes and your way .. inserting keys ,,, why , at the end of the days its all about your settings on the pc . null cables r as basic as u can get

i take it your talking to me vodka about settings etc ?? if so then no mate, your wrong, if theres one thing iam sure of is that the settings are fine on the computer, ive been into computers too long now to not know that part, way back since the dos days well before windows etc, so i do know loads about computers, not so sure about the connections though, but i do know ive tried everything suggested, done all that before i even asked anyone, as i say, its got to be down to hardware and vista and possibly drivers, its very hard to say what it is though, plus the fact that i get mumbo jumbo in hyperterminal is another telltale sign of somethings not right between the hardware and vista, ive read various posts on various forums and theres lots of people in the same boat as me, seems like vista is a pain in the ballocks for all this carry on :(, but i aint going back to xp while i have another pc with xp on it, no point as vista is the way forward anyway.

ive still never even got a response from my motherboard manufacturer Msi, bloody idiots, lol.

smirnoff_rules
3rd May, 2008, 11:20 PM
well yes and no lol .. but the lad above is sayin just keep putting the keys in and as u know that just mad ..

l have vista on a few lappys and its a pain some times .. wot about installing virtual pc ? l no its not the answer , but if u had a usb to null and the right drivers it would ok wouldnt it , so in a way its a pc thing ..

Saltire
3rd May, 2008, 11:51 PM
well yes and no lol .. but the lad above is sayin just keep putting the keys in and as u know that just mad ..

l have vista on a few lappys and its a pain some times .. wot about installing virtual pc ? l no its not the answer , but if u had a usb to null and the right drivers it would ok wouldnt it , so in a way its a pc thing ..

yes i know what your saying mate but youve missed the point again like i said a few posts back, i have a serial port, and a serial to usb cable, so i can connect it up just like your suggesting, same thing as using a usb/serial adaptor, so iam still at a loss with all this, now i dont know whether or not both the cable and the serial port is goosed, i have no way of testing them really apart from connecting a digybox up which has failed :(

smirnoff_rules
4th May, 2008, 12:05 AM
u said in another post u have a xp pc aswell that u have used to write to a dreambox with a null .. so have u updates your eurovox on that one , but just want to get your vista one working ?

Saltire
4th May, 2008, 12:11 AM
u said in another post u have a xp pc aswell that u have used to write to a dreambox with a null .. so have u updates your eurovox on that one , but just want to get your vista one working ?

yes, thats it mate, i can easily use the other pc that has xp on it and built in serial port, but the problems lyes with this machine, i should have maybe posted this in the pc section too but i thought the eurovox section would be enough as its the eurovox iam trying to connect to, at end of day people may say just flash the box on the other pc then and shut up, yes i can do that no problem, iam not even that bothered about it as its a spare box that i use on my pc here, its not as if i need it flashed here and now but if i did i would just use the other pc, but its just the point of getting it done on this vista pc, thats the problem, plus as i say ive bought 2 pieces of hardware and iam still getting no joy :(

mp5850q
4th May, 2008, 04:08 PM
Is vista a real pain and do i need xp on my laptop. been trying to flash my dm but getting nowhere fast!!!

Saltire
4th May, 2008, 05:59 PM
Is vista a real pain and do i need xp on my laptop. been trying to flash my dm but getting nowhere fast!!!

listen mate, for anything to do with flashing box's etc dont even think about vista, trust me on that, apart from that vista is ok though.

you can put anything on your laptop you want mate, vista or xp, just check on the microsoft site that the specifications of your lappy can handle vista though first if you go that way.

sat2008
12th June, 2008, 09:43 AM
Not sure aboutthe vista Xp is good once you flash if says still downloading code then try one of the premier channels and leave it there for a while otherwise it wont open any