PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Noise from Energy Saving Light Bulb

Evastar
1st November, 2011, 08:46 PM
i replaced an ordinary 60 watt bulb with an 11 watt energy saving Osram Duluxstar bulb, and there's a high pitched noise coming from it, it's really annoying.

anyone any ideas, or has anyone else ever noticed this?

i can't remember where i bought them :(

edward hitler
1st November, 2011, 09:12 PM
:flute::marchmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow::mar chmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow:http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/marchmellow.gif

cactikid
1st November, 2011, 09:51 PM
lucky you getting the odd 1 out lol

TheCoder
2nd November, 2011, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately the high-pitch screech is common with this type of bulb. Some bulbs (from the same batch) will be noisy whilst others are silent. Its mostly down to very cheap components being used.

xant14
2nd November, 2011, 07:31 AM
You need to muffle it somehow eva. I find wrapping a thick scarf around it, and your problems will be solved. :)

Evastar
2nd November, 2011, 09:53 AM
thanks to everyone that posted, and especially TheCoder, that made a helpful and informative post! ;)

i'll swap it for another one from the same batch later, and see if that one is the same. :)

Grizz
2nd November, 2011, 06:19 PM
my bedroom lamp bulb is the same. i wouldnt mind if there was any light from the ~~~~in things.......

chucklor
2nd November, 2011, 11:13 PM
The best place to put them energy saving lamps is in the ~~~~in bin, yes you may save some money but in a few years time you will be needing to pay out for corrective surgery on your eyes.....

zorba anton
4th November, 2011, 01:56 AM
Actually, this happens in the 'switch' more often than the bulb, with the exception of GE Bulbs.

Cheap Dimmer Switches and cheap on/off switches are the worst. Consider switching your bulb to another room (different switch).

I used GE bulbs and they had an annoying buzz with a dimmer switch. I switched to Philips brand, and they are perfectly quiet.