PDA

View Full Version : Options for loft insulation

mscott
4th November, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hi all new member here. I have an loft insulation problem which I guess if a common occurence these days. I only have 60mm joists in the loft so the insulation can only be this height if I am to board the loft. I was thinking about 'spaceboard' under the loftboards but this requires 100mm joists to be equivalent to 270mm of normal loft insulation. What is required to raise the height of the joists and how would I do it>>? I am not that experienced with timber works.

daithi
4th November, 2011, 09:49 PM
60mm are ya sure thats only a little over 2 inches
not safe for walking on if ya ask me far from flooring it id be
i thought the minimum would be 5 inches
mine are 7 inches in my attic ...they were put in that big so i could convert the attic

you could probably run timbers the opposite ways to the way the joists are now to increase the height and also spread the load bearing down on the joists over a greater area

gizmo.1484
5th November, 2011, 08:22 PM
2" Timbers will be ok if you are just using for storage.
But if you want to convert it into a room then you need to put 7" joists in layed from outside weight bearing wall to middle weight bearing wall 400mm apart.
Hope that helps

Meat-Head
5th November, 2011, 09:28 PM
no idea - but a lot of diy chains are selling loft insulation - govment backed scam - ?3 a roll - belevive plumbernter deliver it as well

markdadude
27th December, 2011, 05:56 PM
lay cross battons on top of joist to raise height and use rockwool to a depth of 200mm if poss. then board over

patkins
27th December, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hello markdadude and welcome to DK.
You're off to a flying start so, keep up the good work.

cablefreejunkie
2nd January, 2012, 01:32 PM
have you thought about insulating the eves and not the floor,you only need one or the other done
ive just put celotex throughout my loft ,have really noticed a difference,celotex is available in various sizes and is easy to cut etc