PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer data from one PC to another?

hotlife
6th November, 2011, 05:13 AM
i recently purchased a HP HPE H8z Desktop Computer, it sports a 1.5TB Hard Drive and 10GB of RAM. A Massive step-up from my old HP Pavilion dv6-2157wm laptop with a 320GB and 8GB of RAM.

So, here is my question. Is there a way that I can transfer some files over from my Dv6 Laptop onto my HDE Desktop? Anyway without an external Hard drive or anything like that? Nothing Fancy, just a folder or two, some photos, music Files, and some documents without damaging them in the process? I can easily reinstall my Anti-virus and a few games later, so I'm not too worried about them.

Grizz
6th November, 2011, 06:08 AM
An ethernet crossover cable, or an ordinary one should do the job as well.

shagx
6th November, 2011, 07:49 AM
You could use a dvdr or USB stick then you would have a proper backup as well then :)

johnboy1974
6th November, 2011, 11:27 AM
I done this recently using the bluetooth on both machines.

joshpcurto
6th November, 2011, 10:41 PM
I would use an external harddrive depending on how much information you have on the old computer and how big of space your external or flash drive is.

Jaffa
6th November, 2011, 10:49 PM
If the old hdd in old pc is sata and obviously new pc is sata, then take the old sata hdd out and put it in the new pc, that way you can have all your photos etc on a seperate drive and an extra 320gb of space, if you wish to use the old pc and need the hdd, then just transfer the data and take hdd back out.

Reapers
11th November, 2011, 01:54 AM
i think it boils down to how huge these backups will be
because you want tech to be able transfer as fast and
not wait

some are good for transferring small files but not big ones

Bluetooth- good for small media transfers
Bluetooth 2.0 -2.1mbps
Bluetooth 3.0 -24 mbps

Wireless - Your looking at Dual N so less hassle on channels
and loads of speed

if your going wired then

Wired= 2 Gigabit ports plus cable unless you count router but ports come pretty
standed on motherboards nowadays check to see you have them
having just gigabit's connected allows you to have speeds to 1 Gbps

the other solution to wireless transfer or using gigabit to transfer is external hard drive by using usb or sata

usb 3 ports with a speed of 4.8Gbps
sata 3 with speeds of 6Gbps

if you use the option for usb or sata find a dock that uses usb 3 and sata 3
make sure your motherboard supports them

example
Amazon.com: Thermaltake 5G 5.0Gbps USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station with Hard Drive Pouch ST0019U: Electronics

tmen
29th May, 2012, 07:21 AM
You can make use of Windows Easy Transfer in order to transfer your files from your old computer to your new one. As long as you are using an OS run by Windows then this should work fine and your OS should not be earlier than Windows XP. Windows Easy Transfer has several versions so you should look for the one that is compatible to your situation. For example if your old computer runs in Windows XP and your new computer is run by Windows Seven then this version of Windows Easy Transfer should work for you:

Download: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (64 bit) to Windows 7 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9926)

I see a list of these versions in the site I've found in Google

Transfer data from one PC to another (http://darktips.com/transfer-data-from-one-pc-to-another/)

I don't know what OS you are using so you can just look for the download link in that site. Thanks, hope this helps.

Morcegoblue
1st June, 2012, 04:44 PM
i recently purchased a HP HPE H8z Desktop Computer, it sports a 1.5TB Hard Drive and 10GB of RAM. A Massive step-up from my old HP Pavilion dv6-2157wm laptop with a 320GB and 8GB of RAM.

So, here is my question. Is there a way that I can transfer some files over from my Dv6 Laptop onto my HDE Desktop? Anyway without an external Hard drive or anything like that? Nothing Fancy, just a folder or two, some photos, music Files, and some documents without damaging them in the process? I can easily reinstall my Anti-virus and a few games later, so I'm not too worried about them.

If u got a wirless internet modem u can uploud your data itens for another pc

youhin
12th June, 2012, 04:36 AM
At first i suggest you have Windows Easy Transfer as a way to transfer your current files using an Ethernet cable. This free software grants you to retain all your data in quality locations however you will also decide custom folders and directories.

But you need to find the programs that is certainly available to your situation, a listing of the download links are provided here:
Transfer data from one PC to another - Darktips (http://darktips.com/transfer-data-from-one-pc-to-another/)

hope this help :)
I also watch some of the vids:jiggin:

seginus
18th June, 2012, 09:30 AM
Dropbox, you have 2 g in the free account.