PDA

View Full Version : VU Duo frequent green screens?

av2008
11th November, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hi, Im just getting back into this hobby after not keeping up with things for a year.

Ive had a vu from launch but it hasnt been used that often and was not my main receiver.

Im used to enigma 2 on the DM800 but my main receiver is still enigma 1. Im trying to make the transition to the VU but the problems im having are to do with stability. Ive tried the Dreamboxuk image and the vix image. Both of these were official and fully updated. I have also tried swap files and I have no HDD.

Even though my DM800 is slow, its a clone and is still on ss72 it rarely has a green screen unless im installing something or changing system settings. The vu on the other hand has frequent green screens when i switch channels or windows too fast.

For example just now on vix i was on the epg and quickly switched back to the channel and the screen just stayed the same size as the mini tv in the epg with a black background. This was followed by a green screen and e2 restart.

I have tried starting from a fresh but its just not as stable as it has to be for obvious reasons.

How often do people on here have green screens?, is it just like that? Also is Dreamelite or VTI any better?

Thanks for reading

RuberDuck
11th November, 2011, 08:01 PM
if you submit those crash logs generated by the greenscreen crash to their relevant iamge teams they can at least look to see why it's happening. otherwise there really is no point to your post here.

and for the record, i have been using a Uno for 8 months or so and had around a dozen greenscreens and i'm a beta tester so my chances of getting them is some what higher.

av2008
11th November, 2011, 09:13 PM
if you submit those crash logs generated by the greenscreen crash to their relevant iamge teams they can at least look to see why it's happening. otherwise there really is no point to your post here.

and for the record, i have been using a Uno for 8 months or so and had around a dozen greenscreens and i'm a beta tester so my chances of getting them is some what higher.

For the record

The 1st point to my post was to find out if its happening to anyone else, thats all. The 2nd point was to find out if people think that the other images are more stable. As a VIX beta tester you obviously will back them up. For all I know it could be a hardware fault.

If the problems persist with images I have yet to try I will attempt to send the relevant teams logs.

Also as an Uno owner im sure you accept that there are hardware differences that make your comparisons irrelevant.

alec
11th November, 2011, 09:24 PM
Well I have vix 2.2 and it is very stable.

dell_xps
11th November, 2011, 09:41 PM
"I have also tried swap files and I have no HDD".
Try installing a hard drive then m8, I've had the odd green screen, can count it on the one hand though.

av2008
11th November, 2011, 09:45 PM
"I have also tried swap files and I have no HDD".
Try installing a hard drive then m8, I've had the odd green screen, can count it on the one hand though.

I had the swap file on a usb stick, ill try and install a hdd over the weekend if I can find one laying around. It may improve things if the swap is on a hdd, you never know,

cheers m8

dell_xps
11th November, 2011, 09:54 PM
Does it crash when viewing the epg ?

av2008
11th November, 2011, 10:02 PM
Does it crash when viewing the epg ?

Its not anything in particular that causes it to crash but most often epg related. It crashes like once every one or two days.

I have a habit of rushing through different menus and zapping channels really fast. It just seems to run out of steam and get stuck. It could be to do with it loading the epg from the usb fdd?

Its kind of like a windows pc, if I do too much at once the memory/cpu wont handle it and it will blue screen.

However for the way I use it, it needs to be 100% stable.

dell_xps
11th November, 2011, 11:12 PM
Thats why mines has crashed each time my wife presses buttons on the remote, pressing any button and every button at the same time, just press it once, there also no hurry !!

I'd install a HD you'll find it's more stable for sure :-)

RuberDuck
11th November, 2011, 11:15 PM
For the record

The 1st point to my post was to find out if its happening to anyone else, thats all. The 2nd point was to find out if people think that the other images are more stable. As a VIX beta tester you obviously will back them up. For all I know it could be a hardware fault.

If the problems persist with images I have yet to try I will attempt to send the relevant teams logs.

Also as an Uno owner im sure you accept that there are hardware differences that make your comparisons irrelevant.

I was not having a go at you and the fact that i'm a beta tester for ViX would not sway me one bit, if there was a genuine problem i would say so.

my point was that we get bug reports frequently but without the crashlog we can not say why the box crashed. we always ask that people using our image submit to us their crash logs with a quick but detailed run through of what you were doing prior to the crash.

In fact within vix 2.2 there is even a log manager which you can use to submit your logs to us directly from the box it self, all we ask if using that method is that you fill in your details so we can keep track of the bugs and where possible we can then contact you with a fix or ask more questions about the crash etc.

To access the log manager Blue button > ViX > logmanager ( while in this screen please press menu and fill in your details ).

We strive to make ViX the best it can be and we highly value any and all feedback good or bad, we also understand that individual people have different tastes, some people just dont like ViX and we are ok with that. but if your going to make a post about a Bug within ViX please let us see the logs where possible.

av2008
11th November, 2011, 11:31 PM
I was not having a go at you and the fact that i'm a beta tester for ViX would not sway me one bit, if there was a genuine problem i would say so.

my point was that we get bug reports frequently but without the crashlog we can not say why the box crashed. we always ask that people using our image submit to us their crash logs with a quick but detailed run through of what you were doing prior to the crash.

In fact within vix 2.2 there is even a log manager which you can use to submit your logs to us directly from the box it self, all we ask if using that method is that you fill in your details so we can keep track of the bugs and where possible we can then contact you with a fix or ask more questions about the crash etc.

To access the log manager Blue button > ViX > logmanager ( while in this screen please press menu and fill in your details ).

We strive to make ViX the best it can be and we highly value any and all feedback good or bad, we also understand that individual people have different tastes, some people just dont like ViX and we are ok with that. but if your going to make a post about a Bug within ViX please let us see the logs where possible.

Hello again, no worries, thanks for the explanation. I appreciate your point of view, if it happens again, and if im still on VIX ill log it.

av2008
11th November, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thats why mines has crashed each time my wife presses buttons on the remote, pressing any button and every button at the same time, just press it once, there also no hurry !!

I'd install a HD you'll find it's more stable for sure :-)

wife, lol

Nah im not a button basher. I know what im doing im just too fast.

Ill try and slow down.