PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Ultimo

dell_xps
12th November, 2011, 05:25 PM
RD, any news on the Ultimo, this month or next month ?
Will Team Vix have an image for it as soon as it's released, I'm thinking of getting one, nothing wrong my VU Duo, just 3 tuners would be a great :-)
Daft question but, how many feeds would we need for 3 tuners 2 or 3 ?

dell_xps
12th November, 2011, 05:31 PM
Just read the spec, I would need 3 sat feeds, or 2 sat feeds and a Cable/TV feed, depending on what tuners are installed.
Do you know if it comes with 3 sat tuners or what it comes with ?, 3 sat tuners would be good for me.

RuberDuck
12th November, 2011, 08:54 PM
To be honest i know very little about this box other than the specs as those who have it under the beta program are under a water tight NDA= non disclosure agreement.

dell_xps
15th December, 2011, 05:17 PM
Ultimo, watch this space :-)

garry1312
15th December, 2011, 05:30 PM
Just read the spec, I would need 3 sat feeds, or 2 sat feeds and a Cable/TV feed, depending on what tuners are installed.
Do you know if it comes with 3 sat tuners or what it comes with ?, 3 sat tuners would be good for me.

Seen a few sites that claim to expect it in stock in January that it will have two tuners mate one says that is the standard and there will be a slot for another tuner if you wish to add another. Only time will tell though.

Want it myself everything about it screams buy me lol.

lincsat
16th December, 2011, 12:55 AM
A certain Dark Person is expecting stock soon - I've had about 20 spam e-mails today advertising it :(

RuberDuck
16th December, 2011, 01:06 AM
wos will have them in stock early January too. priced ?529 with two DVBS-2 tuners fitted.

digicon
16th December, 2011, 02:22 AM
Well mines on pre-order never had any of the VU+ receivers so this will be my first, Might as well start off with the big cheese:proud:

samoloko
29th December, 2011, 12:40 PM
there are people that already got them already
strange that there Is noone here

digicon
29th December, 2011, 01:09 PM

it all depends where you ordered from really i know a seller has a couple on ebay and WOS have started shipping theirs out now, But i ordered locally for pickup so i can wait till next week at least most of the beta testers will be able to give some feedback then.

RuberDuck
29th December, 2011, 02:03 PM

not really. these boxes are being manufactured in Germany hence why there already on sale there.

underzone
5th January, 2012, 11:11 AM
not really. these boxes are being manufactured in Germany hence why there already on sale there.

I have an Ultimo. Got it last week. Mine was made in Korea...
so far it is very good, I have the 3 sat tuners in mine...

RuberDuck
5th January, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have an Ultimo. Got it last week. Mine was made in Korea...
so far it is very good, I have the 3 sat tuners in mine...

The parent company is in Korea but they also have a manufacturing plant in Germany.

The uk retailers get their stock next week.

scorpion007
7th January, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi all, I wanted to buy an Ultimo as my old DM has broken.
I have noticed some retailers in Germany selling them with
2X Dvbs tuners for ?519+postage. I don't know if I can name
the retailers here, But was wondering if anyone has bought
from Germany, as the UK price is too expensive.

dell_xps
13th January, 2012, 12:50 AM
Buy from World Of Satellite m8 ( UK), excellent service and after sales service, worth paying that wee bit extra for after sales service imho :-), plus you would have to ship back to Germany if it went faulty, time...money etc etc ???

RuberDuck
6th February, 2012, 09:53 PM
just got my new toy today.

dell_xps
6th February, 2012, 11:23 PM
Nice !
Did you get it free RD ?

digicon
6th February, 2012, 11:31 PM
The Duo and the Uno could do with a bit of a dusting LOL

RuberDuck
6th February, 2012, 11:36 PM
Nice !
Did you get it free RD ?

yup, just paid for the third tuner.

The Duo and the Uno could do with a bit of a dusting LOL

LOL i spent all day clearing the loft out and tracked a shed load of dust through the house.

dell_xps
7th February, 2012, 01:51 PM
Out of interest RD whats the AV box do ?, some sort of switch to change between boxes ?

digicon
7th February, 2012, 02:07 PM
Out of interest RD whats the AV box do ?, some sort of switch to change between boxes ?

Correct its a HDMI switch

Belkin PureAV HDMI Interface 3-to-1 Video Switch - AV

RRP ?19.99

RuberDuck
7th February, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yes mate as digicon said its a 3 way HDMI switch as I've got 4 devices and only 2 HDMI ports on the TV.

dell_xps
7th February, 2012, 05:42 PM
Right RD you've had it a few hours, what do ya think ?
Pros & cons ?

RuberDuck
7th February, 2012, 05:51 PM
to be honest mate i have been so busy i have not had time to seriously look at it. set up was easy as with the duo and thats about as far as i have gotten so far.

digicon
7th February, 2012, 05:55 PM
Right RD you've had it a few hours, what do ya think ?
Pros & cons ?

I will give you my take on that had mine for well over a month.

Pro's : 3 tuner capability, Bigger Flash capacity for more Plugins ( Ultimo has 1gb Flash ram but only 512 useable 512 is reserved for Future use by Vu "shades of Sky here"), Nice big VFD display to show which channel, now & next, time and VFD picons.

Con's : too me its the Price after having an CT ET9000 which by the way uses the same Broadcom chipset and processor which is in the Ultimo then there is no speed increase on zapping, menu changes etc.

if i bought again i would seriousley consider the ET9200 Silverline edition the difference of the 3 tuner capability, Big Flash ram and VFD display for me does not warrant the near ?200 price difference.

Again just my opinion

regards

dell_xps
20th February, 2012, 01:01 AM
RD out of interest again, how many sats have you got and what type of LNB's you got ?

RuberDuck
22nd February, 2012, 03:21 AM
RD out of interest again, how many sats have you got and what type of LNB's you got ?

Vu Uno - ( pre production beta model ) 400 GB 2.5" HDD
Vu Duo - full production model 1.3 revision main board 500 GB 3.5" HDD
Vu Ultimo - full production model. 1TB 3.5" HDD

DM7020 boxed ( not currently in use ) 120 GB 3.5" HDD.
DM600
TM600 boxed ( not currently in use )
TM600 boxed ( not currently in use )

zone 2 fixed sky dish 28.2 east quad lnb.
zone 2 fixed sky dish 28.2 east quad lnb.
80 CM motorized dish. Inverto black ultra Twin lnb. only one feed in use at present. recently upgraded from a 10 year old single feed Humax 0.3 DB lnb.

out of these dishes i have feeds to 4 rooms in the house. 2 feeds from the quad into my room along with the feed from 80 cm dish and 6 feeds from the octo lnb as well.

mdt
4th March, 2012, 12:26 AM
the 3 tuner capability, Big Flash ram and VFD display for me does not warrant the near ?200 price difference.

regards

imho the box does seem overpriced atm... i cant see myself paying over ?400 for a satellite reciever but hopefully after 12 months the price will drop to that of something i can live with. regards mdt

digicon
4th March, 2012, 01:23 AM
imho the box does seem overpriced atm... i cant see myself paying over ?400 for a satellite reciever but hopefully after 12 months the price will drop to that of something i can live with. regards mdt

I have just been having a look at the new ET9500 this looks like it could match the Ultimo has pluggable tuners only 2, Ultimo has 3 but has 8Gbit of Nand Flash a little deceptive as it works out as exactly 1GB the same as the Ultimo but the Ultimo can only use 500mb the other 500 is reserved for future use by Vu+.

The remote on the 9500 is also a dual TV & reverse side Querty keyboard looks nicer than the Ultimo's although i dont use mine i use a harmony.

I think if the 9500 is priced under ?400 then the Ultimo will have some serious competition.

dell_xps
4th March, 2012, 02:56 AM
Mines still sitting in the box, not had a minute to open it and get it set up, it's a luxury :-), but dont fancy shelling out more money for a remote controll, might swap it with the Duo's :-)

garry1312
6th March, 2012, 10:45 PM
I have just been having a look at the new ET9500 this looks like it could match the Ultimo has pluggable tuners only 2, Ultimo has 3 but has 8Gbit of Nand Flash a little deceptive as it works out as exactly 1GB the same as the Ultimo but the Ultimo can only use 500mb the other 500 is reserved for future use by Vu+.

The remote on the 9500 is also a dual TV & reverse side Querty keyboard looks nicer than the Ultimo's although i dont use mine i use a harmony.

I think if the 9500 is priced under ?400 then the Ultimo will have some serious competition.

I own the ET9200 and a great receiver but what I would say to those considering this or the ET9200 is if you are a ViX fan hold off getting this as the picture quality is very poor on the ViX image on the ET9200 (fantastic on other images) hopefully ViX will fix this problem but does not seem to any concern on there part to fix the issue, I think if it was on a Vu+ receiver that it would be taken much more seriously. Excellent image but a image that cant manage HD on a HD receiver is pretty poor.

Thanks for this post mate never knew about the ET9500 cracking spec on the receiver and for a extra tuner you could add a USB sat tuner.

RuberDuck
6th March, 2012, 11:50 PM
I own the ET9200 and a great receiver but what I would say to those considering this or the ET9200 is if you are a ViX fan hold off getting this as the picture quality is very poor on the ViX image on the ET9200 (fantastic on other images) hopefully ViX will fix this problem but does not seem to any concern on there part to fix the issue, I think if it was on a Vu+ receiver that it would be taken much more seriously. Excellent image but a image that cant manage HD on a HD receiver is pretty poor.

Thanks for this post mate never knew about the ET9500 cracking spec on the receiver and for a extra tuner you could add a USB sat tuner.

all of the current images from all teams use the same hardware and hardware drivers so there is nothing in the image that can cause any difference in the picture quality. you can adjust some settings your self but thats down to the individual user and not really a problem for the image.

garry1312
7th March, 2012, 01:42 AM
RuberDuck you aknowledged in another thread that ViX knows about this issue and it may be resolved at a later date i can quote it if need be.

once again ViX going on the defensive and not actually sorting out the problem. trust me myself and others have tried other settings. I have said it before and ill say it again the ViX team need to sit down with 2 receivers one with ViX installed and one with CT image then work out what CT image does differently. It is becoming clearer and clearer thar the Xtrend receivers are not going to receive the full support from the ViX team and personally I am extremely annoyed as it was yourself that suggested to me the ET9200 over the Vu Ultimo which i was originally planning to go for!

It is not just down to the drivers once again i will happily quote what has been said on here and WOS if need be.

If ViX spent half the time they do on getting all defensive then they would be able to get issues ironed out.

Then you get made out to be stupid 'its your settings' I think by now i know how to setup my tv and receivers! funny how every other image works excellent on PQ! funny how a 800Pro and 800 SE clone receivers have better PQ on patched or clone images than the ViX ET9x00 image! my dad was in at the weekend there asked me to put on the football put it to sky sports hd channel first thing he said was 'thats not hd' so i then put it on the Se and he noticed the difference right away lol

No more am i defending ViX no more am i recommending ViX to Xtrend owners or potential buyers actually will tell them the PQ is shite and ViX clearly dont care or want to resolve it and last but not least as of tomorrow my receiver will have outstanding PQ because ViX wont be on it!

RuberDuck
7th March, 2012, 03:23 AM
you know what, i was going to post a lengthy thread trying to help you even though i dont actually own a Xtrend receiver but i honestly cant be bothered. I have put a lot of time and effort into this forum but it seems to me you have joined the ever growing lets slag off RD / ViX club with digicon as it's master in chief, if thats how you want it fill your boots. I'm done with the lot of you.

i deleted my password from here last week but decided to hit the forgotten password button and give it one last go. well you made my mind up for me.

dell_xps
7th March, 2012, 07:44 AM
Gary you have to remember these guys do this for rock all, nobody
needs to make images for any boxes, thanks to people like RD and the Vix team the majority of people can get a lot more out of there receiver than having the original image installed. I personally love the Vix image, and have found RD to be most helpfull since joining the board, so I hope he has a change of heart !!

digicon
7th March, 2012, 10:48 AM
you know what, i was going to post a lengthy thread trying to help you even though i dont actually own a Xtrend receiver but i honestly cant be bothered. I have put a lot of time and effort into this forum but it seems to me you have joined the ever growing lets slag off RD / ViX club with digicon as it's master in chief, if thats how you want it fill your boots. I'm done with the lot of you.

i deleted my password from here last week but decided to hit the forgotten password button and give it one last go. well you made my mind up for me.

I wondered when i would get a mention:proud:

But for the record i have never personally slagged you or your Vix team off.

Lets leave it there shall we.

dell_xps
7th March, 2012, 11:03 AM
Digicon has been most helpful also I may add,
few disagreements, but thats life.
We are all here for the same reasons :-)

garry1312
7th March, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gary you have to remember these guys do this for rock all, nobody
needs to make images for any boxes, thanks to people like RD and the Vix team the majority of people can get a lot more out of there receiver than having the original image installed. I personally love the Vix image, and have found RD to be most helpfull since joining the board, so I hope he has a change of heart !!

Yes mate I understand that a lot of work goes in and as I have said over and over again the ViX image is a fantastic image but on the Xtrend the PQ is terrible. A image team should be able to take critism and feedback not shoot it down or completely ignore it. All I have had from the ViX team is blaming it on everything else apart from actually taking it on board which is a real shame in my opinion because if these issues were resolved it would be a fantastic ET9x00 image. Is it really fair that they are blaming Xtrend hardware and drivers when there is no issue with other images? Personally if I read PQ on the Xtrend was bad due to hardware and drivers I would not buy one and others would think the same.

RD personally I think you are being OTT I am not shooting you or ViX down I am merely providing feedback. Basically what I now understand is ViX have no intention of fixing this issue a issue that you have mentioned exists in another thread. If you have a solution to the problem then I would love to hear it and would be very thankful for your time but I am really unsure that it would work as I have tried everything that I can think of.

Also I would not like to see you leave DK as I see you as a helpful member. Also I am not slagging you or ViX off if that was true and I had such a dislike to you or ViX then why have I stuck with the ViX image even with this concern?

digicon
7th March, 2012, 09:19 PM
@garry1312

I managed to follow some of the posts on the other forum and i have a cunning plan, If the PQ issue really is to do with the drivers then all you have to do PITA but worth a try flash your ET with either the CT or HDF team image which you say gives you a better quality image, Extract the drivers from that image.

Flash Vix Image back to your ET and overwrite the drivers in the Vix image with either the drivers from the CT or HDF image.

Then compare the picture quality after you restart the box.

its worth a punt.

garry1312
7th March, 2012, 11:48 PM
same drivers mate as only used the latest images so not a driver issue. personally been put off the ViX image and team and wont be going back to it better images out there will be going back to HDF image very nice PQ and nice setup also never suffered a single green screen.

Also want to try out OpenPli on the Et9200 as its always hard to beat the stability of Pli.

Something is effecting PQ on ViX image also crashes often and my setup for it has no addons other than what ViX provide all I added was cccam, picons and bouquets.

Anyway onwards and up :)

satlover276
12th March, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have only just read this thread and i felt i just had to give my opinion on this matter. I too bought the ET9200 from recommendations received on here and my mind was made up from hearing the views of those members that i have a lot of respect for and who's opinions i respect. Having had the receiver for 3 months i totally agree with Garry on this subject. I cannot agree with anyone who says the picture quality is at its optimum using this image. In fact i have posted threads asking for help to improve the picture quality going back months! I even tested my picture quality against my old receiver the Tech 7102HD and the Techno was astounding in HD quality and crisp and clean on SD but the ET9200 just does NOT compare in any way. The HD quality is average at best and the SD is no more than average. This is something that has been on my mind since i bought it and although i value the help, advice and experience the senior members offer on this forum, i for one value the help i have received especially from digicon, rubber duck and garry1312 in the past, i have to say Garry is 100% right! If i knew this beforehand i would not have bought this receiver. To me, the best HD and SD picture quality is essential but i'm not getting it which is a shame.

garry1312
12th March, 2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks mate as I have said it is not just all in my head and clearly others think the same about the PQ with this image nice image shame this issue is being blamed on everything else rather than getting dealt with.

Got your PM and replied as said think its best to go for another image and i'll happily give you my recommendations.

I wont be surprised if your post is shot down as nonsense or told that it is your setup which is the usual response that users receive.

Not all is lost though mate there is better images out there :)

satlover276
13th March, 2012, 10:50 AM
Garry please let me know the best image after your checks as i have tested this on other receivers and they were so much better! I know the difference between stunning sharp HD and average HD when i see it! I too was told to check my tv settings or to get my tv calibrated the day after i bought it as i was really down after seeing the picture quality compared to my previous receiver. Don't get me wrong the supplier was great in his service and i appreciated his help in many ways but to be told to calibrate my tv when i'd spent ?300 to do it when i bought my Pioneer was a joke! Also, why is it that my old Techn 7102HD was stunning and i didn't have to change any settings on my tv!!! Why would anyone have to change the tv settings??? Overall, this box has crashed a few times and without the expert help of digicon (who i must thank for more help and advice than i could have hoped for!) i wouldn't know what to do! Other than that the receiver would be fantastic if the picture was as good as its rivals...sorry but that's the truth.

dell_xps
13th March, 2012, 11:00 AM
Get them on Ebay then guys, ok your gonna take a hit,
but buy something you'll be happy with :-)

garry1312
13th March, 2012, 11:08 AM
Other than that the receiver would be fantastic if the picture was as good as its rivals...sorry but that's the truth.

As mentioned mate the PQ does not seem to be a receiver issue as I have tested other images and the PQ is to a excellent standard.

Get them on Ebay then guys, ok your gonna take a hit,
but buy something you'll be happy with :-)

Would not say I am willing to sell mine another image will bring out the true potential of this receiver :)

garry1312
13th March, 2012, 11:13 AM
I know the difference between stunning sharp HD and average HD when i see it! I too was told to check my tv settings or to get my tv calibrated the day after i bought it.

Also mate I would suggest not calibrating your TV if it works for other receivers and images then why tamper with that it clearly is not the tv.

It will take me some work to get my TV back to the way I like it due to trying to configure it to this image, which is impossible.

dell_xps
13th March, 2012, 11:51 AM
Ok dokey, personally only ever installed Vix, the wife can use it no probs, and thats 99% of the battle .....lol

garry1312
13th March, 2012, 12:15 PM
Ok dokey, personally only ever installed Vix, the wife can use it no probs, and thats 99% of the battle .....lol

Yeah cant fault it on ease of use but PQ on the ViX ET9x00 image is terrible. Personally I will never use another ViX image I will also never recommend the image and I will not be placing future orders with WOS as I will not support the image in any manner what so ever and that decision comes down to a lot more than PQ.

Anyway thats me by with the image and any discussion on it :)

dell_xps
13th March, 2012, 02:03 PM
Always found Stef over at WOS to be most helpfull to, everybody is entitled to there own opinion I guess :-)

garry1312
13th March, 2012, 03:19 PM
yeah totally agree each to there own.

digicon
13th March, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Garry,

I think you know yourself that normally calibrating your TV set a professional will not just calibrate 1 input but will do each device connected to your display.

I think these days that has got harder as most people including myself run all HDMI equipment through either a switch or an A/V amp, i use the latter and have 4 devices all going through my amp with just the 1 HDMI cable going to the TV so as you can imagine 4 separate devices using the same calibrated HDMI input not quite the same as having all four connected directly to the TV and calibrated separately.

I have to agree though there is definitely some sort of either tweaking the images or maybe altering somthing in the main image which affects picture Quality and that is why not all images are the same.

I would just throw this into the mix as well anyone who would like to compare HD quality od Sly's offering only need to move there dish to 23.5? east and have a peek at the test channels from Astra, Dolby and Rai these completely blow HD offerd by sly out of the water they have maybe 1-2 channels sharing the same TP where as Sly have at least 6-7 on one TP, This is where bitrates and Pic quality are affected.

Also the HD channels on 13? Sly Italia makes Sly UK look like SD on occasion