PDA

View Full Version : 360 RROD Fix? best way?

scottie2065
21st November, 2011, 07:41 PM
hi guys, just wondering what the best way to fix RROD is? I have ordered the Xclamp replacement kit off ebay. the seller sent me instructions and in the instructions it tells me to turn the console on without the fans connected to overheat the GPU for 1minute to allow the solder to reflow.
my opinion is this is not a good way of reflowing the GPU, would I be better to take a heatgun and heat the chip manually to reflow the GPU or just use the overheating method described in the instructions??

thanks in advance guys.

martiboy
21st November, 2011, 09:21 PM
just do what the seller has told you. Most of the times i have done them it takes more than a min. heat guns have also had success but you can end up doing more damage. Xclamp fixes are only temp and 90% of the time the rrod will come back. If you want a more perm fix take it to someone who will do a proper reflow.

scottie2065
21st November, 2011, 09:59 PM
thanks martiboy, I will do what the instructions say. I was thinking of using the heatgun as I have seen a video on youtube about ps3 ylod fix and the guy puts the heatgun on the gpu for 15seconds on top and bottom to effectively heat the board and gpu.

I would like to do a proper reball of the gpu with lead solder but I cannot find much information on this method.

I will have to do some more research into any cooling mods to try and reduce the risk of it happening again

martiboy
21st November, 2011, 10:13 PM
If your going to go down the line of the heat gun. Heat all the board slightly to warm it up before you attack the gpu. Also if possible bolt the motherboard down because they can warp very easly and will cost a lot more to fix.

scottie2065
21st November, 2011, 10:21 PM
thanks again Martiboy, I am strongly cconsidering the heatgun route as I dont like the pprospect of turning the xbox on and letting the gpu and other componants overheat as in my opinion there is the risk of frying everything.
I will see what works best when I get it apart and have the repair parts infront of me. should be here tomorrow.
by the looks of the guide I can lay the motherboard down flat on a table and work thatway and just apply the same principals from the ps3 repair guide over to the xbox. hopefully this will lead to a more permanent repair.
I only paid 20quid for the xbox with all leads and controllers, but no hdd so im not gonna be a big loss if I make a mess of it.
I will try and be as careful as possible.
thanks again for your help.

Fellianis Wig
22nd November, 2011, 07:34 AM
Is it true you can shove the board into the oven heat it up then let it cool down instead of the heat gun method ?

Sounds a bit extreme like I'd just buy another one personally

scottie2065
22nd November, 2011, 05:29 PM
yes you can use an oven mate. but more chance of 'overcooking' and warping the board with the oven in my opinion.
I havent got my repair kit to repair the 360 yet, should be here tomorrow I am hoping.

tamgunner
22nd November, 2011, 05:46 PM
ive repaired xboxes and ps3 with rrod and ylod and i clean the gpu and cpu up to get rid of the old paste then i heat the full board up with a heat gun set at 350 degrees then 3 mins on each chip then let it cool for 30 mins apply the new paste reattach the heatsinks put it back together switch it on for 20 mins then let it cool and its job done :)

scottie2065
22nd November, 2011, 05:51 PM
thanks tamgunner, I think that is the way I am going to approach this repair. only problem is I done know what heat my heatgun puts out. I will just set it on the lowest heat setting

scottie2065
25th November, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hi guys just a quick message to say i got my 360 repaired :D

used this video as a guide XClamp Fix January 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=uB2QoJM7p5I&src_vid=EcyYG-boWvM&annotation_id=annotation_545274)

as the "overheating method" that was in the instructions i got did not work. and it kept RROD'ing also took the heatgun to the top of the board but to no avail.
then i used the youtube video and it is working 100% XD

thanks for your help