PDA

View Full Version : bmw valet key to master

labusas
27th November, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi, gentlemen
I cut a copy of key from BMW e46 valet grey key on to a diamond black key. It opens doors, trunk, glove box but not Ignition??.
Does a master key have an extra cut compared to valet key?
I know the sides a different, but I thought the cut is same?
Please confirm if you would
Thanks

simon77
28th November, 2011, 12:53 AM
the cut is the same if it opens doors should open sterring lock try a bit of force on ignition then look at the key cut to see if there is any damage ,if there is then you can see wher the cut is incorect.

labusas
28th November, 2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks Simon,
Which area of the key is different for ignition, would you know? Since it turns very well in the doors, the cut that is ONLY for ignition is the culprit. Could it be depth as well as sideways?

znakedwrx
28th November, 2011, 06:14 AM
I had same issue with gray key on e39. that key was not able to
open boot lock and glovebox and the differece was for one deeper cut on pin 6 or 7, cant remember for sure.

My advice is, decode the lock with lishi decoder and try to spot the difference by eye or instacode

Fallen
28th November, 2011, 11:41 AM
Did the grey key work in the ignition ok?

labusas
28th November, 2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, grey key works perfect on ignition but not trunk (valet)
So it could be a depth issue as well?

simon77
28th November, 2011, 07:08 PM
i have done on e46 before . i cut to bmw remote and car was fine. i cant remember where the difference was exactly but i dont have equipment here to decode. im sure it was just the blade that was different. sorry if im wrong but it was a while back
regards

gtmech
30th November, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ive done a few BMW e46 valet grey keys aswell, they work in ignition and doors but not glovebox and boot which is normal. How did you copy it? These keys are not easy to trace on electronic key cutter as the plastic gives false readings, been there, done that :goodnight:

Fallen
1st December, 2011, 02:42 AM
Ignition and doors have all eight cuts, glove box only has 3 cuts (5,6 and 7).

Sounds like it was just a dodgy copy you made mate.

simon77
2nd December, 2011, 03:42 PM
i have just tested the key cuts are exactly the same as fallen has said. only difference is the sides of the key blade. so must be a bad cut or the steering lock has worn in places and needs either a bit of force or to play with the cuts.
regards

labusas
2nd December, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Simon and Fallen for your valuable input.
Customer is coming back on Sunday.
I agree - a cut is not good.
but
as you say - same 8 cuts for either doors or ignition so if any of these is bad then the key wouldn't work in the doors too, wouldn't it?
It works smooth in the doors but not ignition so I thought it could be some difference.
This copy is from a valet key to master and sides are different. So maybe the valet is a bit wider, then the copy wouldn't be good.
I'll keep you posted

Fallen
3rd December, 2011, 02:35 AM
No worries mate.
If you cant work it out, use the Valet key to pull the cylinder out so you can strip it down and see whats going on.

cjawahir
3rd December, 2011, 09:13 PM
hello all , if you have a key that open the door lock , then use it to take apart the door lock and check the wafer for the code , then make new key via code cutter machine .

cj

simon77
3rd December, 2011, 11:53 PM
i have ssen many times were a key will fit in the door but not turn in the ignition . the door lock is never used as the car has remote . so the steering lock gets worn faster than the other locks on the car
regards

labusas
4th December, 2011, 06:35 PM
All Ok,
as I was trying to impression the key and turning harder the key turned and after working a bit got real good.
So it was a slight wear imperfection.
Cheers

simon77
4th December, 2011, 07:24 PM
nice to here you have it sorted
regards

agabna
4th December, 2011, 09:57 PM
for most off the bmw key you have to check at trunk if it open the trunck then it can open the igntion switch + glove box
but if it cannt you have to check again
that is what i do