PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy i5500 Q's - Android noob?

usaipad
2nd December, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hello I purchased a samsung i5500 yesterday and I'm still learning how to use Android atm, it came with 2.2 Froyo and I downloaded KIES today so I can DL some apps but my phone will not let me select ''kies'' when I connect it to my desktop via USB it will only let me select ''ums'' or something like that.
It gave me the option earlier but I must have changed it by mistake, now when I connect the phone and run kies it just says ''connecting'' constantly and will not let me into the Samsung App Store or do anything else on the pc.It's annoying me now because I've scoured the whole phone and been through all the settings but no joy :(
Another Q, are there any cons to rooting an android phone, specifically this model? I've heard about some phones being ''bricked'' after a failed attempt? That doesn't sound very good...
Thanks for reading

Canker_Canison
2nd December, 2011, 04:45 PM
If you're that new to Android I wouldn't even think about rooting.

You enter the market via the phone, not kies. You also have Samsung Apps on the phone.

You will need to either log in to an existing gmail account or create one on the phone. It will ask you to do this when you start the market app.

Kies is a pain in the ass. I never use it. The drivers are installed on my PC & I just drag & drop everything I want.
You might want to look into Kies Air (if it's supported by 2.2).
It's an app that allows you to transfer files via a wifi network to any computer on the same network.... No drivers or software needed on the computer.

rayjay
16th December, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hello I purchased a samsung i5500 yesterday and I'm still learning how to use Android atm, it came with 2.2 Froyo and I downloaded KIES today so I can DL some apps but my phone will not let me select ''kies'' when I connect it to my desktop via USB it will only let me select ''ums'' or something like that.
It gave me the option earlier but I must have changed it by mistake, now when I connect the phone and run kies it just says ''connecting'' constantly and will not let me into the Samsung App Store or do anything else on the pc.It's annoying me now because I've scoured the whole phone and been through all the settings but no joy :(
Another Q, are there any cons to rooting an android phone, specifically this model? I've heard about some phones being ''bricked'' after a failed attempt? That doesn't sound very good...
Thanks for reading

you dont need to root these, just go on google on pc and type android market once ur logged in once on phone with ur google email any app you pick on google pc downloads straight to ur europa via sync. if you do bugger it up i have debranded froyo 2.2 here you can you just debrand it it will be faster withouth branding logo and looks better