PDA

View Full Version : Built in freesat what do i need?

andystar351
4th January, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone i have recently purchased the Panasonic plasma HDtv (81X series) with the built in freesat gubbins on the back.
Is it really as simple as buying a 40 or 43cm dish from ebay (around 25 quid) mounting it and running the supplied cables to the rear of the tv (obviously i would use some kind of satelite finder for allignment etc) or am i missing some really big stumbling block here?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated as i am desparate to witness some true hd tv and i will not pay Vi***n me**a another ?10 a month for 3 hd channels.
Thanks in advance.
:D

bwuddywabbit
4th January, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi there,
I also have the same 81x
yes thats all you need, I use a standard sized sky dish 'cause its ideal in bad weather, BBC HD is pure dead brilliant except the HD channels dont run full time yet, ITV HD rarely transmits just now but it has channels that freeview hasn't got and vice versa,
regards,
The Wabbit

Devilfish
4th January, 2009, 09:10 PM
Is Freesat on 28.2e same as sky?

cactikid
4th January, 2009, 11:28 PM
if its not i am in trouble 2 with fixed dish lol:wavey:

wobbley bob
4th January, 2009, 11:34 PM
yes it is on the same sat signail as sky

manhatten
5th January, 2009, 11:15 PM
To my mind the inbuilt freesat of the panisonic tv has just lost its appeal for one the tv are expensive, For me the best way to go would be to buy one without freesat built in and buy a humax HDR foxsat with the twin tuner then the better half could record one prog or should i say soap while watching another.

Just for the record i would only buy a lcd tv, Panasonic have just intrduced three new lcd models up to 37inch just watch once they have offloaded all of the plasmas there will be a new batch of larger lcd tv.

man

benny/9
6th January, 2009, 11:58 AM
these video's could be worth a look
if your thinking of getting a multi tuner HD tv
w*w.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/874575/index.html#anker_874578

andystar351
6th January, 2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys valuable info there , gonna go for the diy approach(cheapskate I know LOL) now where did I leave those ladders and which way is east?

junger
6th January, 2009, 01:19 PM
Here is the dilema, Free-sat built in tv's require a dish pointing at astra, in March 09 the majors are looking at putting hd capability in the built in freeview tuners and transmitting hd for those tuners, i am told that once the analouge signal is removed by the broadcasters that it maybe possible to feed the hd content down a good digital wideband arial, remains to be seen, however bare it in mind before spending good money on free-sat as it could be outdated quite quickly, when i know more i will post the results :dancing:on freesat.

andystar351
6th January, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the extra info on the freesat/ freeview situation however the tv was already purchased in nov last year and had the freesat option as a coincedence rather than an intentional option. My main question was if a got just the dish from eBay and installed myself would my built in freesat be a viable option to watch hd content on my tv and was it really that easy. With the info given so far and for the sake of a cheap dish I am willing to take the risk........ Anyone think of a reason not to give it a try please before I take the plunge?

junger
6th January, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yes it will work, if you point the dish at astra 2

manhatten
9th January, 2009, 09:58 PM
Info from another forum that the diablo cam works fine in the cam slot on the panasonic freesat tv.

man