PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Vu Duo ! Got some questions first

lombard
5th December, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hi, currently have a DM800se with hdd, works flawless, records perfect, doesnt lag or struggle at all,

but now wanting a dual tuner box, seems Vu Duo for support and price seems best, seems like Vix 2.3 image is popular for this, wanna ask if it runs without lag when recording channel, while flicking and moving through bouquets without it struggling ?

also does vix image have online server ? where there is a choice of skins etc, as i aint seen any screenshots of any.

Thanks

RuberDuck
5th December, 2011, 03:40 PM
i have both a Duo and a Uno and neither lag or struggle whole recording or using the epg etc, like all e2 boxes they are infinitely customizable, and yes we ( ViX ) do have a online server for skins and plugins etc, however we dont host softcams but they can very easily be installed within 1 minute.

if your looking for a reputable retailer i would highly recomend

www.world-of-satellite.co.uk his after sales support is second to none and if you go to the ViX forum ( same url but .com ) you can pm the sponsor and get a further fiver off a duo bringing the price to ?312 if you do tell him pheonix sent you.

lombard
5th December, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, i mean while its recording one channel while watching another, also like when a channel is recording and your flicking around other channels, moviing between bouquets etc, also i hear about box in deep standby , will it record if you set something still ? this is new revision ?

thanks

RuberDuck
5th December, 2011, 06:23 PM
i had a channel recording last night while watching another, i even paused the second channel for half a hour while i took the dog for a walk ( had PTS enabled ) and every thing worked flawlessly.

i have yet to make a recording in deep standby but i'm sure i have heard others say it works.

lombard
5th December, 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your replies very helpful, im quite good at playing arounf with dreambox so shouldnt really be any different , other then getting the cams,

I got a old 500gb hard drive laying about here, with current hdd prices not great time to buy,

i use openpli 2.1 on my dm800se right now, got everything working perfect, like its vali warp skin ,

dual feature will come in handy with me, how many times i wanted to watch another program while wanting to record another :y:

RuberDuck
5th December, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your replies very helpful, im quite good at playing arounf with dreambox so shouldnt really be any different , other then getting the cams,

I got a old 500gb hard drive laying about here, with current hdd prices not great time to buy,

i use openpli 2.1 on my dm800se right now, got everything working perfect, like its vali warp skin ,

dual feature will come in handy with me, how many times i wanted to watch another program while wanting to record another :y:

yeah you wont have any problem setting the box up. i would recommend giving a few images a try. you will see strait away just how much better the images are for the Vu receivers than their DM counterparts and i would say give ViX a try.

eattheliving
10th December, 2011, 03:27 PM
i have both a Duo and a Uno and neither lag or struggle whole recording or using the epg etc, like all e2 boxes they are infinitely customizable, and yes we ( ViX ) do have a online server for skins and plugins etc, however we dont host softcams but they can very easily be installed within 1 minute.

if your looking for a reputable retailer i would highly recomend

www.world-of-satellite.co.uk his after sales support is second to none and if you go to the ViX forum ( same url but .com ) you can pm the sponsor and get a further fiver off a duo bringing the price to ?312 if you do tell him pheonix sent you.

Rd who is the sponor on WOS to pm mate?

RuberDuck
10th December, 2011, 03:36 PM
i'll pm you a link to his profile page.

RuberDuck
10th December, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, i mean while its recording one channel while watching another, also like when a channel is recording and your flicking around other channels, moviing between bouquets etc, also i hear about box in deep standby , will it record if you set something still ? this is new revision ?

thanks

just a wee update, i have not tried yet but from what i have been told, if a recording is set to take place while the box is in deep standby it will wake the box 5 minutes prior to the recording and shut back down once done, unless your actually watching the tv by then that is.

eattheliving
10th December, 2011, 03:47 PM
i'll pm you a link to his profile page.

thanks mate. just dropped him a pm

lombard
10th December, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hi , could I get pm as well ? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RuberDuck
10th December, 2011, 04:06 PM

no worries bud, just be a sec.

RuberDuck
10th December, 2011, 04:10 PM

you should have it now bud.

lombard
10th December, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hi, got it thanks, is it the same cross epg i get from tspanel i used on openpli on dm800se , will work on vix image ?

THanks again

RuberDuck
10th December, 2011, 04:52 PM
crossepg is already installed and modified as part of the ViX image, there is no need to install any thing else for it to work. other than to set it up that is.

andy211081
11th December, 2011, 03:20 PM
Can you send me the pm also? As i may change my dm800se for a duo

Thanks
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy211081
11th December, 2011, 03:51 PM
Woooh ive just ordered my vu+ duo box so looking forward to messing about with it! Its going to replace my dm800se! Can i still use the bouquets etc the same as the dm800?

lombard
11th December, 2011, 03:56 PM
Woooh ive just ordered my vu+ duo box so looking forward to messing about with it! Its going to replace my dm800se! Can i still use the bouquets etc the same as the dm800?

Hi, exact same here, just ordered a Vu Duo today, too ,currently have a dm800se with 500gb hdd, cant fault it works flawless, but needing a dual tuner,

should have it on tuesday, i got a old 500gb 3.5inch drive gonna use on it, also got vix 2.3 image downloaded and ready,

yes its same as they are enigma 2 boxes so same really,

I need to attach another cable to the dish for dual tuner , raining and cold, will hope to do it tomorrow if weathers ok

RuberDuck
11th December, 2011, 04:05 PM

yes it's a enigma 2 box so the bouquets you currently use will work perfectly fine.

andy211081
11th December, 2011, 04:09 PM
yes it's a enigma 2 box so the bouquets you currently use will work perfectly fine.

Thanks for the info

andy211081
11th December, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hi, exact same here, just ordered a Vu Duo today, too ,currently have a dm800se with 500gb hdd, cant fault it works flawless, but needing a dual tuner,

should have it on tuesday, i got a old 500gb 3.5inch drive gonna use on it, also got vix 2.3 image downloaded and ready,

yes its same as they are enigma 2 boxes so same really,

I need to attach another cable to the dish for dual tuner , raining and cold, will hope to do it tomorrow if weathers ok

Yeah thats same reason i want one! I have the cable so its a waste not using it! Just need to have a read through some tuts now to see what i need to do different from the dm800se

RuberDuck
11th December, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah thats same reason i want one! I have the cable so its a waste not using it! Just need to have a read through some tuts now to see what i need to do different from the dm800se

dont worry about it mate, it's dead easy to work and configure the Duo. flashing takes just a few minutes via a USB stick too.

if you need any help configuring the box etc just make a post here or on WoS and some one will help, likely me LOL.

andy211081
11th December, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks!!

I can do most thing like flashing, installing a hdd, updating bouqets, installing softcams, adding lines with dcc and recovering from ca errors but thats all on a dm800 and se boxes! So fingers crossed it will pretty much similar, i just need to talk nicely to my line guy to get a dual feed ;-)

lombard
11th December, 2011, 04:26 PM
Same here mate , vu seems easier to flash via usb , wondering if there is recovery like dreamup if power cut or image is wrong , I think mainly recording for me is fta channels 1 to 5 , see if I also get s deal

RuberDuck
11th December, 2011, 04:38 PM
once you have the image as you like you can make a backup. for example in vix. bluebutton / vix / image manager. with this you can backup the current ViX image exactly as you have it setup including softcams and settings etc. you then just flash this back as you would any other image and be up and running in a few minutes.

new2dk
12th January, 2012, 11:54 PM
dont worry about it mate, it's dead easy to work and configure the Duo. flashing takes just a few minutes via a USB stick too.

if you need any help configuring the box etc just make a post here or on WoS and some one will help, likely me LOL.

Apologies for jumping in on this thread. I'm a newbie to sat receivers and was planning to try and buy a dreambox 800 hd se on recommendation from a friend (to replace my sky+hd). However after reading this thread it looks like the vu+ duo may be a better alternative. Am i correct in thinking that they have v similar functionality but the adv of vu is the dual tuner which will allow recording of one channel while viewing another. Is there any other pros and cons between the boxes or comparisons anywhere i can read up on before deciding which to buy.

Any advice much appreciated!

lombard
13th January, 2012, 12:03 AM
Apologies for jumping in on this thread. I'm a newbie to sat receivers and was planning to try and buy a dreambox 800 hd se on recommendation from a friend (to replace my sky+hd). However after reading this thread it looks like the vu+ duo may be a better alternative. Am i correct in thinking that they have v similar functionality but the adv of vu is the dual tuner which will allow recording of one channel while viewing another. Is there any other pros and cons between the boxes or comparisons anywhere i can read up on before deciding which to buy.

Any advice much appreciated!

Hi, i have had both, DM800se great box runs as fast as the Vu Duo, but DM800se aint got a dual tuner, there is like ?150 more in it for the vu duo but if need dual tuner the vu duo is the one to get with great image support from vix, and its cheapest dual tuner box.

I cant fault the dm800se clone, its built very good, very fast, just lacking dual tuner really, could change in future though

THanks

new2dk
13th January, 2012, 10:34 AM
Hi, i have had both, DM800se great box runs as fast as the Vu Duo, but DM800se aint got a dual tuner, there is like ?150 more in it for the vu duo but if need dual tuner the vu duo is the one to get with great image support from vix, and its cheapest dual tuner box.

I cant fault the dm800se clone, its built very good, very fast, just lacking dual tuner really, could change in future though

THanks

Is there any expansion on the DM800HDSE to install a second DVB s2 tuner and if so will the images 'just work' or is this not really and option (know nothing about images etc) - I'm guessing probably not as I'm sure loads of you would have already done it!, but just trying to confirm. If I end up having to but > 1 receiver to view Sat in different room then single tuner may be OK as if I need to record different channel to the one I'm watching I could do it on other box - maybe a couple of cheaper receivers in the other rooms...

garry1312
13th January, 2012, 11:04 AM
A USB sat tuner may mork on the 800SE mate making it a twin tuner but I think some tweaking needs done to the drivers.

I read this elsewhere but have not had a chance to fully investigate it yet. If it works I will be adding another tuner to my ET9200 making it a triple tuner :)

What I read was suggested as a way of adding another tuner to the Duo and the Xtrend ET9000 and ET9200 but a few stated that it would work for other Enigma2 receivers also.