PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Bench cables

joeseph666
6th December, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hello DK'ers,

I looked around here and found some threads that touched upon the subject... but none answered the question directly.

I need to make a Cummins bench cable for the ISX with EGR.
Yesterday, I had a volvo truck with a Cummins. I counted 7 computers on the j1587 bus, and 4 on j1939. There was no key to the fusebox for fuses and relays. Sheesh. That truck took over 4 hours to flash.

I suspect others need this too, as well as a thread for all the Cummins Bench cables.

Thank You (in advance)
Joe

jctech
7th December, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hello DK'ers,

I looked around here and found some threads that touched upon the subject... but none answered the question directly.

I need to make a Cummins bench cable for the ISX with EGR.
Yesterday, I had a volvo truck with a Cummins. I counted 7 computers on the j1587 bus, and 4 on j1939. There was no key to the fusebox for fuses and relays. Sheesh. That truck took over 4 hours to flash.

I suspect others need this too, as well as a thread for all the Cummins Bench cables.

Thank You (in advance)
Joe

The only way to speed up the calibration time is to remove the traffic from the datalink - turn off the other modules.
All the messages from the other modules will have higher priority than Insite.
As a service tool Insite messages have a very low priority, so if the ECM is busy or the datalink is full Insite messages will not be sent or ignored. When the messages get ignored your calibration will fail. If the messages take too long to arrive - your calibration will fail.

Have a look on the forums, the bench cal cable list has been posted before, but here is another one from the InCal disc.

joeseph666
7th December, 2011, 12:38 AM
I was hoping to be able to make the cable. I have all the parts. ECM connector... incab connector... etc. I know I can buy the cable... and have done so in the past from Ed Mawk... But at $500 a pop...

Yes, disconnecting the other computers is the preffered solution... but this truck had no key to what relay was for what device... so I left all of them on. It never took 4 hours... but this was a Volvo chassis.

jctech
7th December, 2011, 12:50 AM
I was hoping to be able to make the cable. I have all the parts. ECM connector... incab connector... etc. I know I can buy the cable... and have done so in the past from Ed Mawk... But at $500 a pop...

Yes, disconnecting the other computers is the preffered solution... but this truck had no key to what relay was for what device... so I left all of them on. It never took 4 hours... but this was a Volvo chassis.

You need the 4 pin power connector and the OEM connector.
Just needs keyswitch signal and the 3 datalink wires, a single 60 ohm resistor will work if the cable (backbone) is short (less than 10 inches), above that length use 2 x 120 ohm resistors

jctech
7th December, 2011, 10:40 AM
Wiring diagram in this thread
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f166/wiring-diagrams-fault-codes-cummins-select-select-plus-125494/

kwtech
7th December, 2011, 03:53 PM
Wouldnt it be easier to hook up to the private datalink on the Cummins harness, 3 pin deutz triangle close to ECM? Thats what I do, all you would need is the adapter harness for your com adapter, nexiq makes one to. Or make one, with a male 3 pin deutz, and a power supply to com adapter.

joeseph666
8th December, 2011, 02:11 AM
Wiring diagram in this thread
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f166/wiring-diagrams-fault-codes-cummins-select-select-plus-125494/

Funny... I tried those links and they are all dead.
I think I'll just call Ed Mawk.
Thanks for the help.

jctech
8th December, 2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the help.

The hotfile links in post 7 are still OK

joeseph666
8th December, 2011, 03:17 PM
JCTech,

Transitor was asking if anyone had the workshop manual for ISX w/EGR in post 9... and since that is the bench cable I am looking to make... and the file is password protected... But ok... I'll give it a try... Stay tuned...

Ok... that link actually had the files needed to construct a bench cable. If any of you guys need to make one for Cummins ISX w/EGR

Check this post out.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f166/wiring-diagrams-fault-codes-cummins-select-select-plus-125494/#post1086304

Thank You JCTech.

4hillbilly
3rd January, 2013, 09:16 AM
Wouldnt it be easier to hook up to the private datalink on the Cummins harness, 3 pin deutz triangle close to ECM? Thats what I do, all you would need is the adapter harness for your com adapter, nexiq makes one to. Or make one, with a male 3 pin deutz, and a power supply to com adapter.

ride the back bone boyss:sheep::sheep::viking::rolleyes::puke:

alsop
3rd January, 2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help.This is most likely what you're looking for.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f164/cummins-ecm-repair-tips-123306/index8.html#post874690