PDA

View Full Version : How do I cook my 25 lb. turkey?

super jumbe
7th December, 2011, 02:37 PM
My wife said his mom used to cook their turkey overnight. Would this be a good idea??.?

andy91
7th December, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ive read with big birds its best to brine them and make sure you have a meat thermometer.
Also with a big bird the breast can cook more quickly than the legs so keep them covered up till last hour.

Good luck and hope you have a big enough oven lol
Alot of answers on this website mate.
http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/cooking/faq.shtml

Andy.

sgerrard
7th December, 2011, 05:56 PM
My wife said his mom used to cook their turkey overnight. Would this be a good idea??.?

ermmmmm

who wants to tell him?

i havent got the heart to ruin his christmas.....

chalky 4
7th December, 2011, 06:46 PM
I presume since you have just bought it. It must be frozen in which case it will require about 3 days to fully defrost. Oven size should be checked, the hotpoint one we have has cooked a 32lb. turkey to perfection.:beer:

Shady
7th December, 2011, 07:19 PM
"slide it in oven for 1 hour that about it"

well THATS wrong for a start.. 10-15 mins per pound so for yours.. 4 hrs 10 to 6 hrs 15m, AND an extra 90 minutes at the end of cooking time

Grizz
7th December, 2011, 07:24 PM
ok Super, i text my mother and this is what she said.
turn on oven to 190 (fan),
put rashers on the turkey(optional for flavour).
put turkey in oven for half an hour, then reduce heat to 180.
cook for 20 mins per LB plus 20 mins over
if turkey is browning too much cover in tinfoil.
let turkey stand for half an hour before carving.

shes used to cooking small turkeys....... lol

Shady
7th December, 2011, 07:26 PM
now then.. delia says, smother the bitch in butter and lay bacon across the back, then wrap it in foil and give it a blast at 200..
then give it 10-15 mins per pound at around 150, then an extra 200 blast for about 30 mins at end, remember to keep on basting juice fans.

lagerland
7th December, 2011, 07:44 PM
How to cook a turkey:

First buy the turkey and a bottle of whiskey.

Pour yourself a glass of whiskey and put the turkey in the oven.

Take another 2 drinks of whiskey, and set the degree at 375 ovens.

Have 3 more whiskeys of drink and turn the oven on.

Take 4 whisks of drinky and turk the bastey.

Stick a turkey in the thermometer,and glass yourself a pour of whiskey.

Bake the whiskey for 4 hours,take the oven out of the turkey,and floor up off the pick.

Pour yourself another glass of turkey.

Now just tet the stable, and turk the carvey............

HAIRY CRISMOOUSE.............:roflmao:

Grizz
7th December, 2011, 08:03 PM
now then.. delia says, smother the bitch in butter and lay bacon across the back, then wrap it in foil and give it a blast at 200..
then give it 10-15 mins per pound at around 150, then an extra 200 blast for about 30 mins at end, remember to keep on basting juice fans.

~~~~ delia and her butter, everyone know that if you have a turkey problem you have to phone your mammy to sort it out lol

daithi
7th December, 2011, 08:24 PM
look here mate jamie oliver does a good job cooking them
seen a video before where he sticks the stuffing under the skin
the brother is a chef and he did it and said it was the nicest turkey he ever had jamie oliver cooks turkey - Google Search (http://www.google.ie/search?q=jamie+oliver+cooks+turkey&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=jamie+oliver+cooks+turkey&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0S3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&source=lnms&tbm=vid&ei=Gb3fTsLGKs-JhQfCkr2UBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CA0Q_AUoAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=2ec2d8ec365d23ec&biw=1280&bih=622)

cactikid
7th December, 2011, 09:19 PM
no one use turkey bags?

Evastar
7th December, 2011, 09:29 PM
no one use turkey bags?

yeah i do lol

rinse your turkey, make sure you take the giblets out, sprinkle a bit of flour in the bottom of the turkey bag. stick the turkey in the bag, tie it, poke a few holes in the top and follow the cooking instructions on the box :)

make sure you put it in a big roasting tray so when you open the bag you have room to catch all the juices for the gravy :)

Nariana
8th December, 2011, 12:58 AM
The Turkey bags are brill but tin-foil helps too,obviously its a frozen one so u will need bout 3 days 2 thaw out in fridge(keep emptying the blood and rinsing least once a day)make sure its on bottom shelf while thawing,,when it is!take out giblets,rinse,flour and stuff,Then make sure oven is preheated on high,put Turkey on the Big roasting dish(then stuffing,optional)get some real butter and push in under skin,season,cover in tinfoil and in it goes....dont go near oven for the 1st hour as its a big 1,,then reduce heat to 170 degrees and plick!! and baste every 1hr or so,will take about 4and half hrs 2- 5 hrs @least ,more if stuffed,keep watchin and basting ;)oh and take off tinfoil 4 the lst 15 mins 4 crispy skin :)A meat thermo is gr8 help..i cook mine on xmas eve so i dont have 2 worry next morn,have cooked 2 turkeys every year 4 the last 21 years.. and sometimes easter :( Have fun,besta luck :) and have a few tipples lol

super jumbe
8th December, 2011, 11:59 AM
Alright the only lagerland ever mention to mix with turkey was whiskey and more whiskey?..

No one ever mentioned what sort of herbs I mix with the turkey.

Would some one just give me an indication of how much herbs I will have to mix with this turkey?

:call:

Grizz
8th December, 2011, 12:03 PM
arent rashers enough herbs for you? lol

ChelseaBun
8th December, 2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.britishfoodwholesalers.com/acatalog/11862.jpg

or

http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-hires/21592011_H.jpg?identifier=adea092c5f44d3f2cc5c7f60 364dec24

:)

super jumbe
8th December, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks ChelseaBurn I will go to my supermarket and get one.

What will I do without you????

:party:

ChelseaBun
8th December, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks ChelseaBurn I will go to my supermarket and get one.

What will I do without you????

:party:

you'd be stuffingless? lol

garry1312
8th December, 2011, 01:51 PM
agree with rashers also stick some oranges inside the bird mate.

I hate stuffing out of a packet..... mind you I hate most things premade of utter cheap crap lol.

super jumbe
8th December, 2011, 04:11 PM
I may invite dk members for a slice of turkey if it comes out to be tasty??..

I like that one garry1312 stick some oranges inside the arse.

Are you shore, they say too many cooks spoil the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:party: :party: :party:

garry1312
10th December, 2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah stuff it right up there mate.

Not only does it give a nice flavour but the oranges will burst and will keep the meat nice and moist and stop it going dry :)

konatist
10th December, 2011, 09:47 AM
The first line of ya question said it all my wife said! Well let let her do it then if it all goes pete tong it wasn't ur fault and u can sit drowning your sorrows of a Xmas dinner went wrong till the pubs open

bixx
7th July, 2012, 03:37 PM
Recipes I'll leave to others but the best cooking pan for a turkey is a porcelain enamel on steel rectangle covered roaster - 14" W x 8.5" D x 21.25" L - dimensions to hold a 25lb turkey. Can be a wee bit pricey but it will last forever and your turkey will cook fast, brown (even with cover on) with the meat falling off the bones. I spent years cooking with cheap cookware, and those horrible aluminum temp pans until I broke down and bought a covered roaster and haven't regretted a day. Great for large roasts and hams as well.

ivac
20th August, 2012, 12:24 AM
I inject mine with a mixture of beer, cajun spice and italian dressing and deep fry it. I have done many and this is the best way I have had my turkeys so far.

dollyjoepearce
21st August, 2012, 06:02 PM
256 mins per pound plus 256 mins. Cover turkey in foil to keep it moist and place bacon rashers on it. Remove foil last 25 mins.Check with skewer that juices run clear by plcing skewer in below the leg at the thickest part.

jcgrumbles
20th March, 2013, 10:10 PM
I may invite dk members for a slice of turkey if it comes out to be tasty??..

I like that one garry1312 stick some oranges inside the arse.

Are you shore, they say too many cooks spoil the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:party: :party: :party:
i wouldnt go stickin oranges up your arse while cooking a big bird like this,wait until youve cooked it...

objence
3rd December, 2018, 09:34 AM
My turkey is pre-brined this yearIm doing the slow roast method, where you cook it for like 15 hours at 185F. Im using the Jalepeno butter injection kit and slathering the outside with butter.