PDA

View Full Version : columbia c12 with autoshift problem

donniemnemonic
8th December, 2011, 03:09 AM
Hi m8s.
Have a truck here that was recently struck by lightning. It is a columbia truck with a C12 engine and 10 spd autoshift transmission model number RTO16910B-AS3.The problem is that the truck will start and run with lots of white smoke and cannot be revved up or move under the power of the transmission also the shifty gauge that displays gear selection seems to be fused because it is blank and smells burnt on the inside although power to it does seem to be present. Tried hooking it up to a laptop and failed to communicate with the c12 ecm using Cat ET and just got the error message to check my connections from truck to laptop but these were fine cause I could communicate with Service Ranger software but only to get the C12 ecm detected and could not find the tranny ecm. After hours of testing the system discovered that the C12 ecm was available to service ranger (SR) using the J1939 link. And after connecting an adapter I use to check datalink availability discovered that the J1708 data link was available intermittently. After troubleshooting this for hours once again i narrowed the problem down to the engine ecm and tranny ecm.

donniemnemonic
8th December, 2011, 03:35 AM
Hello again.
I then tried to verify the C12 ecm functionality by disconnecting the tranny ecm and starting the truck at the starter but again she ran badly and still thick clouds of white smoke and the no revv symptoms were still present and at this point she seemed to run even worse without the tranny ecm connected. The only fault code present was that of the throttle positon sensor and the others that popped up would be for the 6 injectors but these appear briefly after running the engine.
I then attempted to verify the availability of the J1708 datalinks on the C12 and tranny ecms by bench testing the two and found that the C12 ecm was the only 1 that seemed to have the J1708 datalink present. I further attempted to connect the service lamp circuit to the tranny ecm to try and manually retrieve the active fault codes but after initialising the code retrieval using the ignition key the service lamp just seems to flash continuously with any particular code pattern.
My question is: Is the C12 by anyway controlled how it runs the engine by the tranny ecm that could be causing it to run rough and if this is so is there a feature or parameter in the C12 ecm that I can turn on or off using Cat ET just so I can verify the engine ecm functionality. And could the pedal position sensor be affected by the tranny ecm or is it just a sensor fault with nothing to do with the tranny ecm.

Regards
Donniemnemonic

jabkissmya
8th December, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hello again.
I then tried to verify the C12 ecm functionality by disconnecting the tranny ecm and starting the truck at the starter but again she ran badly and still thick clouds of white smoke and the no revv symptoms were still present and at this point she seemed to run even worse without the tranny ecm connected. The only fault code present was that of the throttle positon sensor and the others that popped up would be for the 6 injectors but these appear briefly after running the engine.
I then attempted to verify the availability of the J1708 datalinks on the C12 and tranny ecms by bench testing the two and found that the C12 ecm was the only 1 that seemed to have the J1708 datalink present. I further attempted to connect the service lamp circuit to the tranny ecm to try and manually retrieve the active fault codes but after initialising the code retrieval using the ignition key the service lamp just seems to flash continuously with any particular code pattern.
My question is: Is the C12 by anyway controlled how it runs the engine by the tranny ecm that could be causing it to run rough and if this is so is there a feature or parameter in the C12 ecm that I can turn on or off using Cat ET just so I can verify the engine ecm functionality. And could the pedal position sensor be affected by the tranny ecm or is it just a sensor fault with nothing to do with the tranny ecm.

Regards
Donniemnemonic
If the truck got hit by lightning you are beating a dead horse trying to fix it without replacing computers. i gaurantee that drivers are ****ed in cat ecm and eaton trans and shift controller are ****ed as well. with it being a columbia, do you see abs, icu, hvac ecu's? All could have electrical damage to a certain extent.

donniemnemonic
8th December, 2011, 06:10 AM
when I try connecting to the abs ecu it connects and will pop up a message saying that the datalink working partially. So are you saying that my engine ecm is **cked and there is no possibility that it may just be the way its programmed.
Regards
Donniemnemonic

jabkissmya
8th December, 2011, 11:27 AM
when I try connecting to the abs ecu it connects and will pop up a message saying that the datalink working partially. So are you saying that my engine ecm is **cked and there is no possibility that it may just be the way its programmed.
Regards
Donniemnemonic
you can always try to program it, but i almost guarantee it is toasted. try disconnecting ecus from truck one by one and see if other ecus's will show back up to make sure one isn't shorting out datalink.

donniemnemonic
8th December, 2011, 07:16 PM
you can always try to program it, but i almost guarantee it is toasted. try disconnecting ecus from truck one by one and see if other ecus's will show back up to make sure one isn't shorting out datalink.

Hi m8.
Have opened the C12 ecm and detected a burn on 1 of the surface mounted caps and a shorted out back to back diode.
Guess you were right abt the ecms getting toasted.
Regards
Donniemnemonic