PDA

View Full Version : Roof slates as floor tiles

Grizz
9th December, 2011, 09:19 PM
while looking for an inexpensive but semi classy way to floor my hallway (being flat broke n' all) an idea struck me.
i have in my possesion enough old reclaimed roof slates to cover a carpark, so i was thinking:

1. cut them down to 5"x5" or so using my wet cutter(i reckon smaller they are less chance of cracking)
2. lay them on a bed of flexible adhesive (theres underfloor heating)
3. clean and seal them
4. grout them
5. seal them again
6. "WOW, thats a nice floor! who did it for you?"

i do a share of tiling and i think ive seen something similar with full slates but i cant remember where.
anyway, can anyone see anything foiling my plan or do you think it will work out?
have any Dkers done something similar? and did it turn out ok?

cactikid
9th December, 2011, 10:27 PM
thinking they may break while walked on.

cgscott
9th December, 2011, 10:37 PM
They will perish with people walking on them. Not a good idea. How broke are you? Tiles aren't that expensive. Try toppstiles for example. Very cheap.

daithi
9th December, 2011, 11:07 PM
They will perish with people walking on them. Not a good idea. How broke are you? Tiles aren't that expensive. Try toppstiles for example. Very cheap.

cg ya have to remember grizz is living in ireland and theres nothing cheap here lol

grizz look here its an irish site with free stuff theres also some good ideas for refurbishing stuff on it JumbleTown Ireland - Unwanted items Given & Taken (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)

nicole123
9th December, 2011, 11:16 PM
not a good idea,will cost you more takin them up an replaceing them!!

maca
9th December, 2011, 11:21 PM
me bro in law got his front path done in slate as long as the bed they are sitting on is sound there should'nt be a problem his has been down nearly 2 years now and all is ok .

nicole123
9th December, 2011, 11:26 PM
tarmac will be fine!!

cactikid
9th December, 2011, 11:40 PM
keep an eye on the flooring in the likes of DES KELLY as they sometimes have left overs in so many yards for xx euro,as i got my hall done in laminate flooring which is a lot easier to clean than carpet.gumtree is another site to keep an eye on.

Grizz
9th December, 2011, 11:40 PM
broke as fcuk until end of january anyway. (aside from that, i like a challange lol)
i thought of the breaking with traffic, which is why i was gonna bed them in adhesive rather than with notched trowel. im hoping if there is no hollows or space behind them they will have nowhere to break
Perishing as CG said woulld be more of a worry, or ravelling from the edges in. athough they are pretty robust lookin slates.

reddevil157
9th December, 2011, 11:54 PM
Once the bed is good, there shouldn't be a problem. But if they did start to break up, you'd have some ~~~~ing job cleaning the floor. I'd be inclined to wait till a few quid comes yer way.

patkins
10th December, 2011, 01:04 AM
Google (http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&cp=31&gs_id=3e&xhr=t&q=how+to+tile+a+floor+with+slates&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1C2GGLS_enIE365&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=how+to+tile+a+floor+with+slates)

Click link Grizz,it may help.

cactikid
10th December, 2011, 01:24 AM
thinking of it been near xmas do the strippers get paid more in the pubs as there are more people in there drinking lol

skegsagypsy
10th December, 2011, 10:33 AM
Not a good idea Grizz, roof tiles are much too soft to be walked over, they wouldn't withstand any weight.

daithi
10th December, 2011, 11:11 AM
where ya living grizz in ireland
theres a place in newbridge where i bought all the flooring for my house
its not a fancy shop just a shed with pallets of flooring at cheap prices beside the train station
they sell by the box none of that yards shite
think it was 15 euro a box including underlay and a box had 2.2 square metres
but if the price cam to say 265 they might do it for 250
and they deliver tomost of the country

pm me if ya need there number

Grizz
10th December, 2011, 03:23 PM
i have to put some kind of tile in this hall cause when i was laying the UF pipe, it was the last room and i was short so i had to skimp a bit ( the concrete truck was waiting lol)
PM their number though cause ill have a couple of timber floors later on in the year. thanks

chalky 4
10th December, 2011, 05:02 PM
Why not sell them instead ? Have seen them 50p to ?1 each. Sounds like you have loads of them. :sheep::sheep:

Grizz
10th December, 2011, 06:10 PM
already sold some of them and made a few quid.
i kept enough to roof an old stone shed beside my house so if i dont use them they will be going for that.(although i prolly have enough for both jobs)

daithi
10th December, 2011, 07:20 PM
i have to put some kind of tile in this hall cause when i was laying the UF pipe, it was the last room and i was short so i had to skimp a bit ( the concrete truck was waiting lol)
PM their number though cause ill have a couple of timber floors later on in the year. thanks

il root it out an pm ya with it in the next month or two lol

Sraheens
13th December, 2011, 04:51 AM
I think it's a good idea

Grizz
18th January, 2012, 10:27 PM
decided to chance it and it seems to be working out ok. ive been been walking on the first meter for a couple of weeks and they seem to be holding up ok, time will tell i guess.

cactikid
18th January, 2012, 10:42 PM
there is a crack on the 4 th tile 3rd row.lol

Grizz
18th January, 2012, 10:45 PM
thats my @rse reflected in the pic, i like tiling in the buff lol

cactikid
18th January, 2012, 11:22 PM
i like you tiling also in the buff lol