PDA

View Full Version : master trip switch just tripped

footycard steve
10th December, 2011, 04:33 PM
all of electricity went off and when i checked the switches the big master switch at the end was down all of the others were up and this doesnt normally happen if a bulb goes etc its normally just one of the normal switches that trips. we have recently had problems with our boiler pressure dropping and i'm concerned it could be a major fault stemming from the boiler as nothing electrical seems to have faulted. any ideas?

footycard steve
10th December, 2011, 05:08 PM
just worked out it could have been the oven,do they trip the master switch?

cactikid
10th December, 2011, 05:34 PM
is it an earth leakage detector?as sometimes mine trips also and no heavy things working,i have to electrician to come out to check things for problem.

gmb45
11th December, 2011, 04:32 AM
i had a prob with the trip, a spark told me it could be an intermittent fault with one of our heavy use appliances ( he did a check and found nowt with the leccy system ), over time we had a new washer, kettle, and iron, no probs since, just a thought m8.

footycard steve
11th December, 2011, 01:25 PM
i had a prob with the trip, a spark told me it could be an intermittent fault with one of our heavy use appliances ( he did a check and found nowt with the leccy system ), over time we had a new washer, kettle, and iron, no probs since, just a thought m8.
we've had to get a new washing machine this year we have a kettle that switches itself on and now the oven has gone so maybe we have an electrical fault also,will have to try and get an electrician in.

chucklor
12th December, 2011, 12:07 AM
If the switch you are refering to is a RCD it could be an aplliance which has a slight earth leakage, first switch off individual mcbs and switch back on one at a time to determine which circuit is the offending one. once you have found the offending circuit, unplug all the appliances on that circuit and individually re plug them back in one at a time until it trips and that is the offending article, if it is the boiler get it onto the non RCD side of the consumer unit.....damp weather can also cause RCD problems, leaking kettles and womens hair straightners tumble driers etccccccccccccc.....

cuculoski
12th December, 2011, 09:38 AM
hi frends yes

footycard steve
12th December, 2011, 10:23 AM
If the switch you are refering to is a RCD it could be an aplliance which has a slight earth leakage, first switch off individual mcbs and switch back on one at a time to determine which circuit is the offending one. once you have found the offending circuit, unplug all the appliances on that circuit and individually re plug them back in one at a time until it trips and that is the offending article, if it is the boiler get it onto the non RCD side of the consumer unit.....damp weather can also cause RCD problems, leaking kettles and womens hair straightners tumble driers etccccccccccccc.....
is the RCD the bigger thicker switch which is next to all of the smaller ones (MCBS?) the oven is definately not working but the rest of the cooker is as for the boiler we are going to have to get somebody in to check it out as now our water is not working properly.