PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Home, Whats your Say???

philsofick
5th January, 2009, 06:11 PM
Been on Home for sometime now and i've gotta say, being a sony fan form PS1 and having grown up in a sony houseold, (Appliances that is lol.) i've gotta say Home has gotten off to kinda a shaky start, and even though i know it will come good eventually i just think it might take long to have the effect we all want it to have..., Whats ur say

Digital Kaos - The Cable and Satellite Experts! (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/003.gify???)

C64
5th January, 2009, 06:28 PM
I hated it.

I had the closed Beta trial version and I couldn't stand it, it was completely pointless IMO.

I'm sure a lot of people will love it, but it's not for me, if I wanted to view videos etc I'd rather do if from a quick menu rather than have to run all the way to the Cinema.

lol

philsofick
5th January, 2009, 06:32 PM
i think with time it'll change, ugotta realise sony still is learning the ropes when it some to the online component of the console world, cos i know Microsoft had a whole generation's lead, lol

sunnyleith
5th January, 2009, 07:58 PM
I agree at the moment its ok but with time it will get better mind u they`ve had about 3 years since they told us about it!! so they have had plenty of time!! come on sony get the ps3 SORTED!!!

philsofick
8th January, 2009, 09:52 PM
Seems like Home is getting some major expansion, the redbull section is up now, and the EA section is coming soon, which looks really neat, i have a feeling that third parties migh even do a better compared to sony, lol

CES 2009: PlayStation Home to receive EA SPORTS Complex - PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/08/ces-2009-playstation-home-to-receive-ea-sports-complex/#continued)

Raven
10th January, 2009, 03:13 AM
My take on Playstation Home.....is....that nobody has any fair right to slag it off considering A) it's free, for now..... and B) they are trying something new.
It might not be up to some people's lofty expectations but what did they expect from what is basically an online friends browser thing ? I mean I don't know if I'm missing something here or if some Americans were expecting to be able to have woohoo with a prostitute outside the bowling alley centre and were disappointed to high heaven when they found out that they couldn't do that in PSHome.....

But to me Home seems more enticing than a text list and a button to press......

To be honest I still don't get why people compare/bitch about Playstation online vs Xbox Live - 1 is functional/perfectly acceptable especially considering it's totally free....and the other one is alot more user friendly and condusive to the whole online scene but it is a monthly pay subrscription service.....Seems obvious to me and fairly apparent that people shouldn't be complaining about PS3 online saying it's not xbox live considering it's free, but they still do.

shady77
10th January, 2009, 10:16 AM
Well said indeed Raven.
I myself have tried both online services from M$ and $ony and I can honestly say that they are, to me, exactly the same.
I am brilliant at fifa/blazing angels etc whence playing against comp or mates, but am regularly battered when playing some spotty little kid online.
For me I would rather get beaten for free than pay for the priveledge.

C64
10th January, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'll happily pay for Xbox Live (?23 a year when I bought mine - I get my games for free so I feel I should give 'something' back ;)) as it works perfectly and there are always loads of people to play/argue with. My experience with the PS3 network is sitting in a lobby praying that someone will connect, then if I do get a connection it will usually drop after a period of time. IMO the PS3 has a lot of work to do to catch up with Xbox Live.

As for the PSHome interface, IMO it's utterly childish and pointless, if I want to watch a video I'd rather do it from a simple menu which takes seconds to do rather than control an onscreen character and make him run to the cinema, I know I'll not be using Home for anything that I can do directly from the XMB.

I suppose I could see the fun in it if I were a 12 year old kid.

Raven
10th January, 2009, 03:05 PM
Witchy (or anyone with a PS3 currently) answer me this....is PlaystationHome mandatory like the New Xbox Experience ? I'm not sure that it is...and if that's the case what difference does it make as you still have the option/choice to do it your way and it still doesn't take away from the fact that Sony are trying something new and it's not going to be an instant success and it probably never was.....alot like the PS3 itself in a way.

Now I don't play online very much at all...but truthfully my experience with the free playstation online was a few matches on Fifa 08 at the time and I had no issues or problems with nobody to play or lag or especially quitters. Like I said Playstation online is functional and free - personally I don't see how people can ask or expect anymore than that....it's not xbox live and it never ever will be, Playstation Home/online is it's own entity and until the day comes that Sony start charging people for Home or playing their games online then that's the day people can compare it to Xbox Live and bitch about it....but in the mean time as it is totally free and functional I don't think anybody should be complaining because it's not a fair argument for a start and it's like what do you want or expect for nowt ? And it's the same with PSHome.

Finally, something kind of off topic....I read this online somewhere but I don't know if it's crap or not - does the bluray disc media for PS3 games have a protective coating on it that make the discs scratch resistant ? As I say I didn't know this but someone said online somewhere that they have but they might have been talking shit. Any clarification ? :)

cgscott
10th January, 2009, 03:09 PM
PS3 will never be as good as Xbox they are simply trying to keep up and thus things change all the time.

They dont have the rights that microsoft own and due to copyright cant give the same experience.

XBOX rules.

Raven
10th January, 2009, 03:30 PM
PS3 will never be as good as Xbox they are simply trying to keep up and thus things change all the time.

And yet one is new and free and the other is a long established paid for service.....like I said it's a totally unfair argument.

They dont have the rights that microsoft own and due to copyright cant give the same experience.

Is playing other people online not the same core experience then ?

XBOX rules.

Yes it does, but so does the PS3.....what is your point ?

CookieMcCrumble
10th January, 2009, 11:18 PM
Home isn't a great selling point for me, I can't see myself missing out of lots of gaming time to go walking around dancing like a prat.

The concept is good but until they include things that are going to make you want to go into Home I'll be staying out.

I was in the closed beta and I don't think I've been on more than once since the open beta was released.

Raven
11th January, 2009, 06:51 PM
I see what you're saying and I tend to agree but as I say I think they should be given credit where credit is due for trying to do something new and taking their online in a different direction and I firmly believe given time that Home/playstation online will come good so to speak....wether or not it will still be free by then is a different matter but it will take many updates and perhaps a couple of years for it to reach that stage.....and XboxLive may or may not evolve itself within that time, but Sony just need time now as they now have a solid foundation to work from. Just like Microsoft had about 5 years ago and look where Xbox Live is now.

CookieMcCrumble
14th January, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I like sony and I like their vision. They just fall at some hurdles, like delays, and allowing poor ports of games to be made on their console.

I like home for what it is but like I say I can't see myself giving up valuable gaming time just for chatting.

Raven
16th January, 2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah it's just going to take some time that's all....I'm talking everything PS3 now not just Home or online.....because it starts now, the PS3 is now an established console, Sony is whittling it's manufacturing costs further and further to where they require it to be by having the parts used become more efficient and cost effective....PS3 has come a long way in the last year or so and now that it has a good handful of genuinely good exclusives and a couple of exclusive sequels...and of course MGS 4....I think the road to PS3 catch up/domination starts here and now....I honestly think that this year will be a big year for PS3 - as a steady release of top quality exclusives are and have been trickling out. Killzone 2 is out next month for example and looks as though it's gonna kill Resistance 2!

Basically I think the PS3 is really starting to gain momentum and like I said before the 360 is on a plateu of sorts.....serious question now are there any big/good exclusive 360 games coming out anytime soon ? Halo Wars doesn't count! lol

The biggest problem for the PS3 from most people's perspective is the pricing in comparison to the competition....now I say you get what you pay for, but others might say why spend 250 - 300 quid on a PS3 when I can get a 360 or a Wii for half that price ? Which is a fair comment if they aren't bothered which console they want or they prefer the other 2 consoles. But again the prices are another thing that will come down given time.....I've noticed the prices have already dropped 50 quid in the last year but I doubt we will ever get a PS3 for less than 200 quid - unless the river police are lookin for it aswell! lol

harto87
21st January, 2009, 01:48 PM
I only played the beta of home, cant say i was massively impressed... needs more content to keep it entertaining although i can never see it taking off as sony had hoped