PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry pi , a 35$ linux box

southpaw
16th December, 2011, 09:49 AM
Dont know if this is the correct section , but thought it probably the best place to post being a linux box

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte! (http://www.raspberrypi.org/)

Sometime in Jan , a charity called "raspberry pi foundation" will release a budget linux box , $25 model a , and $35 model b (model b has networkin port)
the aim of the project is to teach kids programming , as in schools today they only reallly learn how to be a secretary.

just thought i would post it here , incase anybody is interested , some ideas here of what people plan to use them for
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum?mingle ... wtopic&t=1 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1)

apparently a couple of xbmc devs are testing on alpha boards and reports suggest its going well , so ?25 for a xbmc unit , streaming from icefilms for a cheap V-O-D device .

plenty more uses they will be put too also , as other boards are planned for release to connect to r-pi and control motors , great for anybody fancying robotics

anyway , just thought i would post to highlight it to anybody who may be interested , its a charity so not spamming btw

TheCoder
16th December, 2011, 06:18 PM
Seems a nice little board for the price, especially given its size.

Of course, you could pretty much do the same thing with the insides of just about any router or dreambox etc if your into tinkering. For instance, you can pick ex VM routers up on ebay for around ?6 which actually have more potential than this pi device. The only thing really missing is the video interface but if you really wanted you can add that simply enough.

southpaw
16th December, 2011, 11:22 PM
Any chance of a model number for vm router TC
May have a little play with one
Cheers mate

alpha786
25th December, 2011, 06:30 PM
my school teacher was given a pro type is so amazing but the one he got was model a without the rj45 port so its was not that good without internet but know it has the port on model b so it amazing i will certainly be buying this

TheCoder
26th December, 2011, 01:08 AM
Any chance of a model number for vm router TC
May have a little play with one
Cheers mate

VM give out quite a few router types but one of the better ones that seem to be cheap on ebay was the DIR-615 by D-link. The stock firmware is pretty crappy but you can put dd-wrt (micro edition) on it.

If you want to learn how to actually use the thing for other tasks then I suggest building your own firmware starting with the Openwrt framework. Both dd-wrt and Openwrt are linux based but the later versions of dd-wrt aren't available in source form

Alternative routers are the wrt54 range. Some of those have very large flash/ram combinations that make them more suitable for larger implementations of linux. If you spot a cheap router on ebay, check out the possibilities using the dd-wrt database. Be very careful of versions though - its suprising how much can change inside a router with the same model number but different version. You may often find a version 1 release will do what you want whilst a version 2 release is scrap !!!

pickledfrog
16th March, 2012, 06:28 AM
The first batch of 10,000 raspberryPi s sold out in days, i'm waiting for model B with case, think its priced at ?26, bargain.

rosietastic
15th April, 2012, 08:48 AM
Look forward to this actually being released. Lot of noise, but now manufacturing/distribution has been outsourced, this may happen this year!
Check out XBMC running on it!
XBMC Demo on Raspberry Pi - YouTube
Cheers!

GastonJ
15th April, 2012, 11:07 PM
and still the wait.I did read somewhere that Farnell were sendind them out at last. Anyone got thier hands on one yet?

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Bann32
24th April, 2012, 09:28 AM
Its been years since I directly programmed a processor, will be good revision when I get round to ordering one.

I am sure people far more talented than I, will come up with some quite interesting code and functions for it.

DigitalDaz
6th May, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm looking into getting the pi to run some sort of PBX but I like the idea of the ex VM routers for this, they may even be good to use other than as toys :)

drawflex
7th May, 2012, 06:21 AM
I got my name on the list for one of these, it seems, the first batch of 10000 or so, all had a wrong connector soldered-in, and they all got recalled :( even further down the list :( but yeah... The diffetent possible applications that this little bitta gadge would lend itself to are honestly brilliant, and its cheap ! It really does pack some punch, especially in the video-processing area. ( reletively speaking of course )... Everyone and his dog will be writing code for it, the module library will be massive.

Bann32
8th May, 2012, 05:28 AM
The arduino is a good alternative, and good practice while you wait although it is a lil more expensive.

VandL
9th May, 2012, 08:23 AM
Check out XBMC running on it!
Cheers!

:goodpost:

Thats the one for me, I already have a hollowed out Dalek model ready to slip the board inside and sit next to my older TV in the bedroom.

Cant wait for my board to arrive :D :hello:

Bann32
28th May, 2012, 02:19 AM
seems there all jumping on the bandwagon now

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/05/17/74-usd-allwinner-a10-android-4-0-mini-pc-usbhdmi-stick/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=74-usd-allwinner-a10-android-4-0-mini-pc-usbhdmi-stick

http://apc.io/about/

ondrik
2nd June, 2012, 09:01 AM
Good alternatives are also beagleboard and beaglebone