PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine Honks

hypersonic
18th December, 2011, 01:57 PM
The wife cleaned the washing machine filter today and what a horrible smell there was in the room. It was so bad we had to open the window. A quick browse on line told me this was a common problem with washing machines using regular low temperature (40oC) washes with biological liquid detergents. The instruction manual recommends a high temperature wash once a month with a detergent powder containing bleach, but the wife never reads instruction manuals anyway.
From browsing the various forums it is apparent that the hot wash is absolutely necessary, also you can use a cup of white vinegar or washing soda instead or with the bleaching powder. This prevents the build up of harmful bacteria and black mildew in the detergent drawer, water hoses, pump and filter. Anyway, after I did a high temperature wash, with a cup of white vinegar and a small amount of powder, the smell disappeared. There were a few black bits on the first wash the wife did, however, now, the machine now smells sweet as a nut. Another tip is to leave the front door and the soap draw open slightly to allow air to circulate. :party:

cactikid
18th December, 2011, 02:13 PM
calgon of any use there?

ziezou
18th December, 2011, 03:32 PM
Why don't you honk back?

hypersonic
18th December, 2011, 08:31 PM
calgon of any use there?

Yes ! Calgon is great but white vinegar is much cheaper.
Its the high temperature that does the business.
40 deg C isthe ideal temperature for breeding bacteria.
60 deg C + will kill it.

cactikid
18th December, 2011, 09:23 PM
but as most clothes are washed at 40,whats left to wash at a higher temp?

stealth666
26th December, 2011, 07:31 PM
Never had this problem with the old automatics that had both hot and cold feed... most just cold feed now... how does that save energy?

cactikid
26th December, 2011, 10:40 PM
it saves energy by not heating the water to a higher temp and you are been advised to turn the wash temp now down to 30 lol uses less water also

hypersonic
28th December, 2011, 12:01 PM
it saves energy by not heating the water to a higher temp and you are been advised to turn the wash temp now down to 30 lol uses less water also

The point of my post Cacti m8 was that you need to do a high temperature wash with bleach at least once every 5 to 6 weeks.
If you don't your washer will build up mildew and soap sludge.
Whilst Calgon claims to remove all the sludge build up in your washer, it is basically to remove calcium build-up, hence the name = cal-gon. Heat and bleach is the best way clean your washer. If you have no clothes to do a hot wash, then run it without clothes! Simples!

Rodbouy
28th December, 2011, 02:46 PM
As above, put the machine in a boil wash and add a cup of vinegar with no clothes ofcourse.

Do you use the gel capsules

cactikid
28th December, 2011, 05:31 PM
different areas and different problems,i remember on hols in devon never seen fur on inside of kettle before lol,in dublin we dont get that problem yet,now i see what you mean bleach and vinegar usage.

hypersonic
28th December, 2011, 09:29 PM
Yes! A boil wash without without clothes, bleach or anything is good. But on a not so hot wash, white vinegar is great.
Calgon was developed for the south UK, particularly around the downs where chalk fouls every machine that heats or boils water.
As I said in my first post, bio liquid or gel detergents are the ones which cause the problems.

NICETOBNICE
13th February, 2012, 06:35 PM
mine went a bit gunky so i put half a bottle of white vinigar in it and done a hot wash it works superb now mate

artxty
18th February, 2012, 11:48 AM
im not sure if this will help, but recently i flushed out our outdoor spa, i used a spa flush, 1kg of this powder is for 1000 liters, it cleans all the grease, grime and fatty tissues caught in the pipe.
in my own opinion, its possible to put a scoop of this powder in your washer, run it for about 10-20mins, so that water would circulate and clean the insides, and once you flush out the water it will flush out the grimes that was build up for a long time.

this is just my 2cents opinion.

Evastar
19th February, 2012, 03:32 AM
different areas and different problems,i remember on hols in devon never seen fur on inside of kettle before lol,in dublin we dont get that problem yet,now i see what you mean bleach and vinegar usage.

we do on the northside of dublin, not like you posh gits on the southside :roflmao:

cactikid
19th February, 2012, 12:57 PM
good eva you can stay over there lol,i found an interesting product which i use now to wash most of my clothes with no washing powder/gel/liquid and i thought i would give it a try,but i still use the washing powder/gel for my grubby work trousers that need the oil removed.

Ecogenie Washing Ball 100% Eco Friendly (http://www.householdinnovations.co.uk/shop/ecogenie-washing-ball-p-994.html)
think i bought it in woodies diy for 10 euro on sale.