PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a VU+ Duo.

20th December, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hi guys.

I'm looking to replace my S10 to something much, much better. I've read a few "What box to buy" threads and the VU+ Duo seems the best option.

What I want to do is be able to setup weekly records/series link programs, have a 7 day EPG instead of now and next option and record onto external hard drive.

Is this all possibly on the VU+ Duo?

Also - I'm a complete n00b with stuff like this, I can just about work out the S10 box so will is the VU+ Duo easyish to use?

Lastly, where would be the best and cheapest place to get one from? I don't want a clone as I heard firmware updates can cause clones to stop working.

Thanks in advance. :D

RuberDuck
20th December, 2011, 03:15 AM
What I want to do is be able to setup weekly records/series link programs, have a 7 day EPG instead of now and next option and record onto external hard drive.

Is this all possibly on the VU+ Duo?

Short answer YES to all the above.

Also - I'm a complete n00b with stuff like this, I can just about work out the S10 box so will is the VU+ Duo easyish to use?

I wont lie to you, these boxes are not plug and play, they do need some amount of user interaction to set them up, but every thing is pretty strait forward and if you do need help there are many support forums like this where you can get all the help you need.

Lastly, where would be the best and cheapest place to get one from? I don't want a clone as I heard firmware updates can cause clones to stop working.

personally i would recommend

world-of-satellite.co.uk he is by far one of the best in the business and certainly the best in the UK, his after sales care is second to none as a good few members here can personally vouch for my self included. also if you PM him on the ViX support forum he will knock a further fiver off the cost. bringing it down to ?314 with free UK delivery.

if you do decide to go with him PM me and i'll give you a link so you can get in touch with him for the fiver off voucher code etc.

20th December, 2011, 03:22 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I will most likely buy from there then once funds allow it. :D

Thanks again.

03ahmads
20th December, 2011, 03:23 AM
Yes everything you mentioned is possible, you can have an external as well as an internal hard drive, it is very easy to use, guides on setting up can all be found on this website. As for where to buy RubberDuck has already mentioned this recently in this same section of the website, have a look at the previous posts, good luck with buying a hard drive on the cheap, prices have shot up recently due to floods in Thailand. :goodnight:

RuberDuck
20th December, 2011, 03:23 AM
no worries, and if you have any more questions just post and i'll answer as best i can.

03ahmads
20th December, 2011, 03:25 AM
Lol he already beat me to it!

21st December, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hi guys, me again. :D

I've been thinking about this box and I assume I'd need to flash it to use that "other" software, right? I doubt it comes already installed?

If so, is that pretty much straight forward as well?

Thanks again.

cactikid
21st December, 2011, 11:13 PM
i would think box may come flashed with your choice of image but extra things would have to be added by you.

RuberDuck
21st December, 2011, 11:20 PM
you can ask for the box to be flashed with the image of your choice but if you want to go down the other route you would need to set that up your self.

21st December, 2011, 11:21 PM
That's what I thought.

Thanks guys. :)

Edit: Also - What image would you guys suggest?

Thanks again.

RuberDuck
21st December, 2011, 11:38 PM
personally i'd say ViX but i am a ViX team member and highly biased.

others would say BH, it's all personal choice. i would say try a few and see which agrees with you more.

cactikid
21st December, 2011, 11:55 PM
i also like vix and i aint moved upwards yet lol

dell_xps
22nd December, 2011, 06:15 PM
Vix all the way.

eattheliving
23rd December, 2011, 09:05 AM
new to the vu+ duo box but i can highly recommend vix as well.

:party:

23rd December, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hi again. :D

Is there much difference between the Duo and the Solo, besides the 2nd tuner?

I'm not really bothered about being able to watch a channel while recording another, I'm more bothered about the EPG, Recording function, plugins, etc...

So if there isn't much difference I might go for the Solo instead.

I assume the Solo is just as good though, software side?

Thanks.

redondo5
29th December, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hi again. :D

Is there much difference between the Duo and the Solo, besides the 2nd tuner?

I'm not really bothered about being able to watch a channel while recording another, I'm more bothered about the EPG, Recording function, plugins, etc...

So if there isn't much difference I might go for the Solo instead.

I assume the Solo is just as good though, software side?

Thanks.

I'd say the 2nd tuner and the way you can use it is what makes the duo so special.

The solo is good and has good support... But it's nothing special when compared to some of the other single tuner options out there. A solo clone might be worth it, if it's to be believed they are running stable images like vix etc. Although bear in mind that might change in the future.

the duo is the best box for what it does in terms of value for money. You have thevqbox mini whichbis an enigma2 box but it has far less support and I don't think it's anywhere near as solid as vu+ duo in terms of performance.

Remember with a 2nd tuner you can do a lot of stuff. If you have an iPad iPhone app called dreambox live, you could watch one channel on that and another on the tv at the same time. All with the same share if you're going down that method... The 2nd tuner is very handy.

But if you're sure you don't need it, I'd say look into solo clones... They're probably competing with boxes like dm800 se clones and things like blade 7000 box which differant all together.

29th December, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just a quick updated. Decided to get the Duo in the end. Ordered from WOS and asked them to install ViX.

Should be here tomorrow hopefully (according to city links christmas schedule!) :D

Is there anything I'd need downloaded to get my going? I've got DBEdit and latest channels/picons from Silverfox0786.

Is there anything else I'd need?

Thanks. :D

RuberDuck
29th December, 2011, 03:58 PM
the solo will be fine for what you need. although you cant mount a internal hdd with a solo. to be honest id rather go with a uno over a solo if i was buying one now my self.

cactikid
29th December, 2011, 04:01 PM
do you have to run any updates first, as when i got the duo i had to update first.

RuberDuck
29th December, 2011, 04:21 PM
its always recommended that you update the image to the newest to take advantage of various fixes and hardware drivers etc.

29th December, 2011, 10:36 PM
Looks like it probably won't come until new year now.

Ordered it last night and according to WOS, anything ordered before 12pm today would be dispatched but it's still showing as "awaiting dispatch" :(

Ah well, it's only a few days. :D

cactikid
29th December, 2011, 10:47 PM
now for the silly bit lol,do you have 2 cables for the 2 tuners?as you need 2 feeds from 2 lnbs.

29th December, 2011, 10:55 PM
Yep, cables are already installed and ready to go. :D

30th December, 2011, 05:53 PM
Well surprisingly the box turned up today, even though on WOS it says it was dispatched this morning. :D

Let the fun begin. :D

rutbwoy
27th April, 2012, 09:57 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but do you need two servers for dual tuners or just the one server?

Thanks,

Sam.

dell_xps
27th April, 2012, 10:19 PM
One m8.

HTH

cactikid
27th April, 2012, 11:00 PM
i would say one supplier if you were sticking to one location,however if it was motorised then maybe others would be needed for other sats to open up the field maybe.