PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo has blew up.

dell_xps
20th December, 2011, 06:21 PM
I know I have always blown the Vu trumpet, but now I wish I had not, trying to get spares is impossible, getting in touch with Vu is a non starter.
My only bit of advise for anybody buying a VU is to buy from a reputable dealer, ie World Of Satellite, because if anything happens to your box, there is no way to find spares, nearest place I could find was Australia :-(
Cutting a long story short, my box is just over 8 months old, the PSU (power supply unit), blew, tried to get in touch with the VU direct, no joy, guy who sold me the box eventually got me a name and an address I have sent my box back to, all to my expense, I dont know if they are just going to replace the PSU or send out a new one, either way I'm selling it :-), I was going to buy an Ultimo, I might still do but this time it will be bought from a reputable dealer, WOS, as there after sales are second to none. WOS did try to help me with my box even though I didn't buy it from them, so if you are going to buy a VU box, head over there !!
Attached is a picture of my PSU.
Merry Xmas, no sat TV for me...:-(

RuberDuck
20th December, 2011, 07:22 PM
I think the other thing yo look at here also, is the shortage of spare parts comes down to the fact that these boxes VERY RARELY if ever break. this is certainly the first case i have ever encountered of a hardware malfunction of this kind for any Vu box.

dell_xps
20th December, 2011, 07:30 PM
Dont get me wrong RD, think I've just been very unlucky with my box, hope it all turns out ok, if not then I'll be disappointed :-(
Until I get everything sorted out the Ultimo is on hold 4 sure :-(

cactikid
20th December, 2011, 10:38 PM
would a power surge do that?

dell_xps
20th December, 2011, 10:48 PM
Nope m8 def a manufacturing fault.

cactikid
20th December, 2011, 11:52 PM
i would have thought as it was only 8 months old and still in warranty they should exchange it for a new one,as one does not know what other damage may have been done,hard drive removed first before send back? because of the name of quality it would be a shame to wreck their image with a repair only job and not be satisfied .i hope you get a new box m8.

dell_xps
21st December, 2011, 02:41 PM
So do I, touch wood it goes ok, yes i took my hard drive out,
has all my progs on it....lol

cactikid
21st December, 2011, 11:45 PM
i told you not to record torchwood as that series was too hot for your box to handle lol

dell_xps
21st December, 2011, 11:50 PM
Full of Eastenders and $hit m8....lol

tomhick024
29th December, 2011, 10:53 PM
Ah bummer, let us know how you get on Dell!!

cactikid
30th December, 2011, 12:49 AM
i dont take chances as i have all my cables and electronics protected just in case.

dell_xps
1st January, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'll be sure to let everyone know when / if I receive my box back or a new box, touch wood and all that.
If by some miracle I get a new box sent back to me, I'll be selling that and getting myself the new Ultimo, even after everything has happened, I'd still buy a Vu product, but this time from WOS !!
Lesson learnt :-)

flyingpig
2nd January, 2012, 02:45 AM
Is it worth a claim on the house insurance??? Kids dropped a glass of water on it as well as the TV ??

2nd January, 2012, 03:55 AM
Relly hope this will work out for you OP.
I've seen you mention your problem on 1-2 other forums; this will give us a real world idea of how VU warrent these boxes.
Good luck and keep us updated !

dell_xps
2nd January, 2012, 11:40 AM
As RD said in a previous post, it's not really Vu's fault, the guy who supplied the box to me should be dealing with it, but once they have your cash, your forgotten about. Always buy from a reputable dealer :-), ie World Of Satellite !

cactikid
2nd January, 2012, 12:17 PM
bit late in the day now to ask ,would the trading standards have covered you in a case like that as supplier has to offer a 1 yr warranty with stuff and as it was not fit? for its purpose maybe as i dont know the ins and outs for buying and selling.

dell_xps
2nd January, 2012, 12:57 PM
Be a bit reluctant to go to trading standards m8, too many questions...lol, it is a free to air box so maybe ?
As for claiming on the insurance, I'll give that a miss also, premiums are sky high as it is :-)

Grizz
2nd January, 2012, 02:51 PM
dell, did you payed by credit card, (through paypal or otherwise) why not try and file a chargeback?

dell_xps
2nd January, 2012, 04:18 PM
Bought through paypal, but there an absolute joke also :-)

dell_xps
9th January, 2012, 12:15 AM
E-mail tonight from supplier, TNT have taken delivery of my package to be delivered to moi, yee ha !

dell_xps
10th January, 2012, 06:12 PM
Box delivered a few mins ago, unfortunately I'm off to work in an hour, so will have to wait until tomorrow night, was hoping for a new box :-(, oh well just hope the new PSU has been tested etc before sending it back to me :-)

dell_xps
12th January, 2012, 03:13 PM
Just setup the Vu, all good !!
Oh how I missed Vu....lol

billyboy2011
12th January, 2012, 03:56 PM
thats cool m8

A good supplier will always look after their customers!!

glad your sorted

pongo snodgrass
23rd January, 2012, 03:24 PM
thats cool m8

A good supplier will always look after their customers!!

glad your sorted
hey mate - so how much did it cost you then all together..can you post a link to who you sent it to...ta

dell_xps
23rd January, 2012, 03:40 PM
?25 postage, RM special delivery next day, under warranty so thats it.
Who did you buy it from ?, 2 year warranty with the Vu, so I believe?