PDA

View Full Version : advice please on how to speed up PC

funkytv
7th January, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I have a Athalon 64 x2 2.4ghz, with 2gb ram.

I have a single user account, and its prob about a year old now.

But just lately it seems to be taking for ever to load up from boot.
And even simple things like opening IE can take quite a few seconds.

I have downloaded Incontrol, provided by devilfish (thank you) and used the system heal, and it fixed 2 problems.

Anyone got any idea's what i can do to speed things back up again? If you need any more info just let me know.

Cheers

dasteph
7th January, 2009, 12:47 PM
when was the last time you defraged it ? also download ccleaner free software to clean out all the rubbish, it also has a registry cleaner which will scan for entries no longer used.

funkytv
7th January, 2009, 01:00 PM
defraged only last week. I'll have a look at that ccleaner

thanks

ITS A SCAM !
12th January, 2009, 12:06 AM
It sounds like you may have lots of programmes instructed to start up when your pc is booting, Try disabling programmes you do not need to be running at start up. Then post back here if problems still persist

portbhoy
12th January, 2009, 12:53 AM
Transfer all you needed stuff onto another drive and do a clean install, only way to do it ;)

cunny
14th January, 2009, 09:59 PM
i agree a new instal is only/best way to do it.

With time windows becomes clogged with 'crap' be this and that, bits of files left on the hdd that have been deleted and slows down the system. So best way to get rid of this is to format the hard drive holding the OS and do a fresh instal.

flutered
23rd January, 2009, 09:35 PM
download advanced system care, also known as 10bit install and run, ccleaner is getting outdated and will only work on 1 hard drive, if you are using more than 1 ie 2 hardrives memory stick or external hd it will not check them

dasteph
24th January, 2009, 12:02 AM
yes ccleaner only checks the drive where the operating system is on and all internet. temp and prog files are, other drives are only used for storage and any files deleted on these drives would go to the recycle bin and would be cleaned by ccleaner, i also use advanced system care 3 but still prefer ccleaner and i also use revo uninstaller which is better than add and remove for uninstalling progs.

Lanxman
24th January, 2009, 12:13 AM
I tend to reformat every year or so to keep my rig running fast, Just make sure you have everything backed up. Pain in the arse and there are other ways to clean the system up as suggested by other members here. JoK's right too about tune up utilities (useful tool) but a reformat is a sure way to get rid of any traces of junk on your computer.

HiTeck
26th January, 2009, 01:52 AM
If you have installed a load of programmes over time and they all start up and run in the back ground they can use system resources.
As ITS A SCAM ! posted you can disable certain programmes from starting at boot up by using the command line msconfig via run this will then load,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/MSConfig_On_Windows_Vista.png

select "startup" disable anything you do not wish to load when your PC starts and that will enable more performance and use up less CPU and memory.

ruudvandan
1st February, 2009, 12:27 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/MSConfig_On_Windows_Vista.png

If you click on services, you can also disable other things that you don't need e.g "Tablet PC Input Service" and "Fax".

Obviously don't do this if you are using a Tablet PC or Fax, but there's plenty of "useless" stuff in there that most people won't need.