PDA

View Full Version : minidish

mikeyb
7th January, 2009, 10:37 PM
hello, i have a minidish on the side of my house and just wondering what (if anything) can be picked up with this dish. I would get a motorized set up going but only in this house for a few more months. Im in liverpool if that helps.

Thanks

jbvid
8th January, 2009, 03:48 PM
hello, i have a minidish on the side of my house and just wondering what (if anything) can be picked up with this dish. I would get a motorized set up going but only in this house for a few more months. Im in liverpool if that helps.

Thanks
Hi
From your location the only two sats nearly or should I say hardly worth bothering about since encryption changes to Nag3 and moved channels from Hotbird are Astra19 and Hotbird13 depending on what encryption method you are using. So to your 'wondering ' question 'not much with a small dish'.
Personnally I would wait until you move and get a 1m motorised setup and spin it around to Thor which would be worth it (ATM that it is)
Then with your motorised setup, an STB with a CI slot, the correct cam, diablo, you could also move it to Eutelsat16 and others for a lot more. So if you really want to get into it, hang on till you've moved.
BTW, Make sure the new place is rear garden south facing or suitable.
jbvid

alunfennell
8th January, 2009, 06:26 PM
Happy New year Jbvid,
Mikeyb with your Minidish you will pick up more Bird Shit on it that tv channels, Invest in a nice 80cm or bigger Dish they can be bought on Ebay or buy yourself a satellite kit including Lnb, wall Mount, Cable etc for aout 60-70 quid.

Dont waist your time or deminished reception of other satellites by using a Minidish, Spend some of your christmas money sit back and enjoy.

Regards:
Alun

jbvid
8th January, 2009, 08:11 PM
Happy New year Jbvid,
Mikeyb with your Minidish you will pick up more Bird Shit on it that tv channels, Invest in a nice 80cm or bigger Dish they can be bought on Ebay or buy yourself a satellite kit including Lnb, wall Mount, Cable etc for aout 60-70 quid.

Dont waist your time or deminished reception of other satellites by using a Minidish, Spend some of your christmas money sit back and enjoy.

Regards:
Alun
Hi Alun
Happy new year to you m8.
@Mikeyb
Good advice there from Alun, we go way back, well to 2008, If you don't like the thought of hights, get a patio mount or a setup at ground level, much easier to work with. Mine started off with a 3ft piece of scaffold pole set 1ft 6" down in concrete and correctly set upright. When concrete set, next day bolt on the mount and motor to the pole (mine is a Jaeger)
Then bolt on the dish connect 36volt electrics and run them to your sat controller. I will go further when you catch up: lol
jbvid

.: JaCkPoT :.
8th January, 2009, 09:56 PM
no point mounting one now...if he is going to move..

jbvid
8th January, 2009, 10:30 PM
no point mounting one now...if he is going to move..
Hi
If you read my first post it says ((Personnally I would wait until you move and get a 1m motorised setup ))
jbvid

8th January, 2009, 10:39 PM
i did read that but didnt realise it was you who posted it sorry

mikeyb
9th January, 2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks all the advice. I thought it would be a waste, so I ended up buying a new tv instead. oops

When I do get round to installing a dish what will i need? (may aswell start off the shopping list)

I can think of; Dish, LNB, Motor, Set Top Box, cables (co axial and others i got knocking around). Anything else?

Thanks

westkill
9th January, 2009, 08:10 AM
read this :)
give you a few ideas
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/satelite-footy-24893/

jbvid
9th January, 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks all the advice. I thought it would be a waste, so I ended up buying a new tv instead. oops

When I do get round to installing a dish what will i need? (may aswell start off the shopping list)

I can think of; Dish, LNB, Motor, Set Top Box, cables (co axial and others i got knocking around). Anything else?

Thanks
Hi
The only thing extra you may need to add to your list may be a Positioner. Pretty sure some of the newer released technical stuff (ie motors or STB's) have built in positioners, but to control my motor/dish I have a (VBox2 Positioner) close to the Sat receiver (STB) that is set up with all my required (to move to) Satellites. Then when selecting a channel to watch on the STB the positioner auto moves the dish to that Satellite.
jbvid

9th January, 2009, 02:47 PM
you only need a acutator if the dish is bigger than the motors max size... these are powered with a 36v power input...

mikeyb
10th January, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice, Im getting excited.

Rida
24th January, 2009, 11:05 AM
IF U DIRECT IT TO 0.8W U CAN GET THOR SAT WHICH U CAN UNLOCK A FEW CHANNELS LIVE FOOTBALL AND MORE

24th January, 2009, 03:13 PM
Depends on your location that...and its 1west not 0.8