PDA

View Full Version : Bridging wireless

bungaman
7th January, 2009, 11:05 PM
I don't think it is possible but I'd like to hear a second opinion :)

Wireless router 1 (vigor 2800VG) takes care of my internet and all devices on the network (wired and wireless)

Wireless router 2 (USR8054) is having its own network where 2 dreambox devices are attached.

Now I'd like these 2 wireless networks to bridge so that the dreamboxes can be part of the first network. I cannot have a cable between them. Setting both networks to the same channel and SSID doesn't seem to work.

patrocks
16th January, 2009, 10:05 PM
Most wireless routers support bridging. This is where you extend a wireless network with multiple access points however everything ends up in the same network, not separate networks. Is this what you are after or do you want to keep your networks separate?

tarikcno
30th March, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Bungaman,
WHat are you trying to do is impossible, why is it impossible is because you have 2 routers and both of them have DHCP so you have 2 networks with 2 DHCP on them.
the best way get your Dreambox on the same network is to remove the second router and Put an access point the supports CLient or Bridge mode and the access point will connect to the first router Manually.
this is what I am using and works perfectly with media streaming because its an N Access point:
SmallNetBuilder - Small Network Help - D-Link DAP-1522 Review: Dual-band Draft 11n for the Masses? (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30455/96/)

Devilfish
30th March, 2009, 11:31 AM
You can change the firmware on some routers to make them bridges or access points.

Maybe check out DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php).

tarikcno
31st March, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yes devilFish I agree if you know what you are doing most of the routers firmware are open source based you can either load a new firmware that will make it an AP or a bridge (Client mode), or sometimes you can find that option when telneting into the router and it just a matter of enabling and disabling,but my suggestion to Bungaman is spending few bucks and no going through that husstle,since the AP I suggested can hook up 4 devices in bridge mode