PDA

View Full Version : WHICH IS THE VERY BEST EPG FOR THE ET9200?

satlover276
6th January, 2012, 04:05 PM
I would really like advice on which EPG is the very best to use on the Xtrend ET 9200? I would like one that is stable and has the most information available and a bit snazzy too. Your advice would be very much appreciated as i need it asap. Thank you in advance...

RuberDuck
6th January, 2012, 05:09 PM
that depends on the image and the satellite you want it for. crossepg does very well for sky uk and with the vix image it looks the part too.

garry1312
7th January, 2012, 04:35 AM
yeah mate just replied to your PM and said basically the same as RuberDuck use OpenTV with CrossEPG and then once setup press the guide button on the remote and the ViX image Guide to view the data is very nice.

I will PM you my settings for the guide and how to setup the CrossEPG.

I thought that OpenTV was a hit or miss before with my Dreamboxes but it always seems to update on the Xtrend.

Glad you went with my opinion on it and you will love the receiver and WOS service is excellent, I imagine they will add ViX image as you asked them to set it up, the only reason they may not have used ViX would be if you selected a firmware. RuberDuck may be able to clarify this a bit better than me as he is on the ViX team and WOS is the home of ViX.

digicon
12th January, 2012, 06:26 PM
If you want a Snazzy front end EPG then there is no better than Coolmans and i have used a few and Coolmans is way out on top, Open TV for Sky 28.2 is the best has never failed me yet and thats on an ET9000, DM800se and now the VU+ Ultimo works first time every time unlike the Rytec server which can be hit and miss.

garry1312
13th January, 2012, 10:58 AM
If you want a Snazzy front end EPG then there is no better than Coolmans and i have used a few and Coolmans is way out on top, Open TV for Sky 28.2 is the best has never failed me yet and thats on an ET9000, DM800se and now the VU+ Ultimo works first time every time unlike the Rytec server which can be hit and miss.

Would agree with OpenTV as with my my ET9200 its not failed once but sometimes it did on my 800Pro and 800SE so on them I would always have OpenTV and Rytec selected incase one or the other failed.

What image do you use Digicon?

digicon
13th January, 2012, 11:13 AM
I use OpenPLI on the DM800se and Blackhole on the Ultimo, I must admit opentv can be a bit flaky on some images for the 800se but when i had the ET9000 i never had a problem with any image using opentv.

garry1312
13th January, 2012, 11:45 AM
aww sorry mate I meant what image did you have on your ET9000. I have the latest ViX image at the moment but going to test out others over the weekend.

digicon
13th January, 2012, 05:30 PM
aww sorry mate I meant what image did you have on your ET9000. I have the latest ViX image at the moment but going to test out others over the weekend.

no problem Garry on the ET9000 the last image i had on there was openpli 2.1 just so i could use Coolmans TVguide as i like the front end compared to whats on the Vix image.

Dont get me wrong i like the Vix image its a very comprehensive and fully loaded image but it struggles with some plugins that i use especially coolmans guide.

The most stable image i found was the OpenPLI 2.1 and the DBUK 2.1 seeing as they are both the same really, I know vix is based on OpenPLI but the original image is far better.

Good Luck with trying your other images thats where the fun is.

Regards

zanty
14th January, 2012, 12:19 AM
hi guys, I'm currently on et9200 with the hdfreaks image which I can thoroughly recommend (I tryed vix twice and it has some serious flaws in my opinion).
could someone please pm me a link to this cool guide?

digicon
14th January, 2012, 12:41 AM
hi guys, I'm currently on et9200 with the hdfreaks image which I can thoroughly recommend (I tryed vix twice and it has some serious flaws in my opinion).

you should be able to download it through the plugins panel as most images have it on their feeds, I know for certain that its always on OpenPLI feeds so any image based on that should have it.

zanty
14th January, 2012, 02:17 AM
yeah i've had a look, the plugins are pretty good on this, but when you press guide a really nasty epg guide comes up. everything else can be changed like the skins and the infobar via updates/settings but not this

digicon
14th January, 2012, 02:29 AM
Here you go latest Version, Unzip send to /tmp and do a manual install

zanty
14th January, 2012, 01:42 PM
awesome thanks digicon

garry1312
15th January, 2012, 06:27 PM

Hi mate starting to agree with that had a lot of green screens on the ViX image. When zapping to other channels get tuner failed yet the channel comes on. Also permanent timeshift does not work and it does not allow you to add your own permanent timeshift plugin. Also picture quality is not that great.

Trying the clarke tech image the now and picture quality is outstanding, no issues regarding green screens as of yet. No tuner fail messages on zapping. There was no permanent timeshift with the image installed a PTS plugin that I know to work but yet same issue as the ViX image. Will try some more images as not sure if the Clarke Tech image is for me.

I think the PTS is a real big let down. When you can buy a DM clone at ?90-?100 (800Pro) and can have timeshift working flawlessly on any image. So you expect when you are paying ?359 for a receiver for something so simple to work. If I knew timeshift was not going to work I most likely would have went with the Duo.

To some people they dont see PTS as a big deal, but for me it is a must and if a clone receiver can handle it without any issues why cant a receiver that costs a few hundred?

I will try ViX again on there next release as it is a very good image in other ways but it will need to have the PTS sorted and picture quality for me to stick with it.

Midnight Rider
15th January, 2012, 11:48 PM
I will try ViX again on there next release as it is a very good image in other ways but it will need to have the PTS sorted and picture quality for me to stick with it.

As a potential Xtrend Buyer I found your observations very interesting. PQ is very important to me as well so I found the comments about Vix concerning as I had pretty much settled on going with this image.

Can I ask what drawbacks you found with the CT image?

Also, have you made any comparisons PQ wise between the Extrend and the Duo?

Sorry to go off topic...

digicon
16th January, 2012, 12:12 AM
As a potential Xtrend Buyer I found your observations very interesting. PQ is very important to me as well so I found the comments about Vix concerning as I had pretty much settled on going with this image.

Sorry to go off topic...

You would probably be hard pressed to tell the difference picture quality wise via a Duo or an Xtrend, unless of course you had a calman pro video meter at hand.

All i can say as an ex ET9000 owner is that the Xtrend/CT use a different upgraded broadcom video processor compared to the Duo as they offer PIP facility and the Duo does not so in theory the Xtrend/CT receiver should give you a better picture what ever image you use.

Xtrend/CT use a Broadcom 7413 chipset and the Duo uses a 7335 chipset seeing as the Xtrend is newer around 14 months old compared to the Duo circa Oct2009.

The same 7413 chipset is also used in the Vu+ Uno and the new Ultimo.

As for the Vix image it is user friendly and great for a beginner but it crammed full of shit which in return green screens a lot if you try and set up other plugins, I tried coolmans guide which would work now and again and 1 or 2 other plugins which made it crash, i eventually settled on OpenPLI due to the fact that every plugin i tried worked and it never green screened.

Midnight Rider
16th January, 2012, 12:22 AM
You would probably be hard pressed to tell the difference picture quality wise via a Duo or an Xtrend, unless of course you had a calman pro video meter at hand.

I use Cromapure and an i1 Pro meter, perfect recipe for long nights and cronic backache :fisheye:

Thanks for the advice though, I've pretty much decieded to go with the Extrend.

Just need to research openpli now.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 12:44 AM
I use Cromapure and an i1 Pro meter, perfect recipe for long nights and cronic backache :fisheye:

Thanks for the advice though, I've pretty much decieded to go with the Extrend.

Just need to research openpli now.

Nice gear i know what you mean with the backache, the squinting eyes dont help either from the test displays LOL

zanty
16th January, 2012, 01:11 AM
there is an enimga2 pts plugin which fixes these probs just to let you know

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 02:12 AM

Sorry to go off topic...

Nothing technically wrong with the ct image mate just not my cup of tea and buttons could be paired better.

Lack of Permanent timeshift on the xtrend is really starting to annoy me we have a 1 year old in the house and at times you need the option to rewind live tv as you can miss a lot. all i can say is if pts is a must dont get one.

there is an enimga2 pts plugin which fixes these probs just to let you know

The plugins for pts dont work on it mate thats what i am getting at. ViX image has PTS built in which is pointless as it does not work. If you mention this to the ViX team you are adviced to pause it when you go on to a channel then play then you will be able to rewind which defeats the purpose of PTS and is in no way at all PTS.

zanty
16th January, 2012, 03:27 AM
*cough* why are you using vix? :O
hdfreaks is way better

Midnight Rider
16th January, 2012, 09:40 AM
@ garry1312

Please keep us updated with your observations regarding the differences between the images.

I'm especially interested in the PQ aspects.

Cheers

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 09:46 AM
*cough* why are you using vix? :O
hdfreaks is way better

You got a link or anything to the latest HDFreaks image mate cant seem to find it :/

@ garry1312

Please keep us updated with your observations regarding the differences between the images.

I'm especially interested in the PQ aspects.

Cheers

Will do mate.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 10:45 AM
You got a link or anything to the latest HDFreaks image mate cant seem to find it :/

This is the latest HDFreaks image 4.5 from 23.12.2011

http://www.mediafire.com/?4513d9f3xtf3mzw

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 10:52 AM
Is there not a 4.6 hdf mate sure i have heard people mention it?

digicon
16th January, 2012, 10:59 AM
Is there not a 4.6 hdf mate sure i have heard people mention it?

You are correct sir a 20 second search on google and Voil?!

HDFreaks 4.6 ET9x00
http://www.mediafire.com/?4hnoi4gmt51vmkz

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you mate. will give this a try tonight. heard that PTS works on hdf but not sure as it more seems to be a xtrend driver issue than a image issue.

zanty
16th January, 2012, 01:15 PM
4.6 is really pretty awesome
take a good look at the plugins sections as well

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 01:20 PM
4.6 is really pretty awesome
take a good look at the plugins sections as well

Is PTS working on this mate the way it should. Able to rewind a channel without having to press pause when you first zap to the channel?

RuberDuck
16th January, 2012, 01:47 PM
As for the Vix image it is user friendly and great for a beginner but it crammed full of shit which in return green screens a lot if you try and set up other plugins, I tried coolmans guide which would work now and again and 1 or 2 other plugins which made it crash, i eventually settled on OpenPLI due to the fact that every plugin i tried worked and it never green screened.

I think you will find ViX is one of the slimmest images going, as for external plugins thats nothing to do with us. Coolepg is closed source so we can not touch it, we asked the author if he would fix it but he said he has no intentions to make it work with vix so complain to him.

if you have crash logs submit them.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 02:18 PM
I think you will find ViX is one of the slimmest images going, as for external plugins thats nothing to do with us. Coolepg is closed source so we can not touch it, we asked the author if he would fix it but he said he has no intentions to make it work with vix so complain to him.

if you have crash logs submit them.

Hi RD,

I do like the Vix image and i think its great for a beginner to feel there way around different images as vix is a good all round image, I only changed due to the fact that i could not get Coolmans frontend working or multiquickbutton and a couple of other plugins that i felt i needed.

At the end of the day everyone is going to have a preference to which image they prefer in the end mine was the Original OpenPLI to some others it could be Vix.

I dont own an ET anymore due to the minor SR30000 bug and AGC display not working, I now prefer my Ultimo with Blackhole.

Regards

RuberDuck
16th January, 2012, 02:21 PM
i'm just saying that it is the authors responsibility to make sure his or her plugins work with the image, and where their authors refuse there is nothing we can do about it.

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 02:25 PM
in all honesty I think that ViX's EPG is far superior to Cool Mans tv guide. Will Cool mans the channels do not show in the fields properly I have tried changing the setting yet you only see a few letters of the channel.

zanty
16th January, 2012, 02:40 PM
i'm having no problems with it at all mate, as opposed to crash after crash with vix

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 02:41 PM
Can you get it to show the full channel name on the left hand side within the guide and if so how do you have it setup mate?

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 02:43 PM
i'm having no problems with it at all mate, as opposed to crash after crash with vix

Or did you mean PTS mate?

digicon
16th January, 2012, 02:43 PM
Same here when i had mine and after all its not Vix's EPG you may be on about the frontend end system but you either download via Rytec or OpenTv which have nothing to do with any image maker.

Personally i have yet to see any frontend program look as good as coolmans and how it displays the EPG.

But again everyone has there own preference

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 02:45 PM
Same here when i had mine and after all its not Vix's EPG you may be on about the frontend end system but you either download via Rytec or OpenTv which have nothing to do with any image maker.

Personally i have yet to see any frontend program look as good as coolmans and how it displays the EPG.

How do you get it to to show the full channel name on the guide any time i use it be it on the Xtrend or any of my DM's it only shows a small part of the channel name which is useless?

Midnight Rider
16th January, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rubberduck

Are there any differences in the image drivers that would acount for Picture Quality differences between images? I would have thought all the images use the same drivers?

Gawd, I sound obssessed!

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 03:07 PM
Rubberduck

Are there any differences in the image drivers that would acount for Picture Quality differences between images? I would have thought all the images use the same drivers?

Gawd, I sound obssessed!

I have noticed a difference in picture quality in different images (CT image seems to be the best so far for picture quality)

I was told on another forum that picture quality is driver dependant although different images could use other defualts for scaler-sharpness.

RuberDuck
16th January, 2012, 03:10 PM

i think you will find you are very wrong there. a lot and i mean o lot of coding has gone into the epg for the vix image, yes you still rely on opentv and rytek to populate the epg but the rest is all andys work. the same goes for the backup feature and the softcam manager in vix. if it were not for andy coding those him self no image would have those features.

RuberDuck
16th January, 2012, 03:11 PM
I was told on another forum that picture quality is driver dependant although different images could use other defualts for scaler-sharpness.

yes that is correct.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 03:17 PM
How do you get it to to show the full channel name on the guide any time i use it be it on the Xtrend or any of my DM's it only shows a small part of the channel name which is useless?

I dont bother with the channel names sorry as soon as i install it i set it up for Picon view when the EPG opens far better and looks a lot nicer.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 03:19 PM
i think you will find you are very wrong there. a lot and i mean o lot of coding has gone into the epg for the vix image, yes you still rely on opentv and rytek to populate the epg but the rest is all andys work. the same goes for the backup feature and the softcam manager in vix. if it were not for andy coding those him self no image would have those features.

You read me wrong what i said or what i meant to say is the data is downloaded from either Rytec or OpenTV and then Vix EPG converts and shows the data just like any other frontend.

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 03:26 PM
I dont bother with the channel names sorry as soon as i install it i set it up for Picon view when the EPG opens far better and looks a lot nicer.

Dont like that view cant see as many channels at the one time and sometimes cant see what the picons say on certain channels.

RuberDuck
16th January, 2012, 03:32 PM
here are two very quick pics of my epg.

garry1312
16th January, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not got a problem with the ViX epg Ruberduck i use the narrow preview screen view on ViX and I can alter the size of the txt so that I can see the full channel name.

On Cool TV Guide with the same style of view the channels are not visible properly you can only see about 2-3 letters of the channel which is completely useless. Never used to have these issues but the last view versions of Cool TV Guide has had this issue, even when you try to amend it in settings nothing changes. The view in my opinion should be removed in the next release if he has no plans on amending the issue.

Would be nice to see more image teams creating there own guides in legue with the ViX guide.

digicon
16th January, 2012, 06:51 PM
Everyone just likes different EPG's :-)

garry1312
18th January, 2012, 01:48 PM
Using he HDF 4.6 image now very nice and smooth and permanent timeshift works which for me is a god send.

I would say that the skin it uses as defualt is very much outdated now and been on the scene for sometime now. Also for me ViX EPG guide is better than Cool TV Guide.

ViX has said that the permanent timeshift is fixed in there next version so will probably try it out again on the next version.

So far tried ViX, CT, AAF and now HDF.

-ViX is very nice on the eye, excellent EPG guide,
-Clarke tech image out of all I tried has had the best picture quality, although i was not impressed with anything else.
-AAF did not like anything about this image
-HDF a lot of plugins by the looks of things, picture quality good but not as good as CT, Cool TV Guide included but does not have the option to show bouquets first within its menu.

The two important things for me is picture quality and PTS. ViX is my favourite in every other way but does not meet my standards on PTS or PQ at the moment so I look forward to there next release to see if theres a improvement on both these aspects :)

digicon
18th January, 2012, 02:50 PM
You haven't tried the OpenPLI image yet

garry1312
18th January, 2012, 03:16 PM
Does PTS work on it mate. Reason I've not tried it is because HDF has PTS working and I have used OpenPli on all my other receivers at some point or another

digicon
18th January, 2012, 03:41 PM
Does PTS work on it mate. Reason I've not tried it is because HDF has PTS working and I have used OpenPli on all my other receivers at some point or another

Good point garry sorry cannot answer that as i never tried it to be honest.

garry1312
18th January, 2012, 04:05 PM
Think HDF is the only team that currently has PTS working with the latest drivers mate. ViX have said that the issue is fixed in there next release.

Will give OpenPli a try mate the when I go to try the new ViX image on release. Always open to other options :)

RuberDuck
18th January, 2012, 05:13 PM
Think HDF is the only team that currently has PTS working with the latest drivers mate. ViX have said that the issue is fixed in there next release.

Will give OpenPli a try mate the when I go to try the new ViX image on release. Always open to other options :)

Were currently testing build 190 now and if this goes as expected it will be the next public released build. As for the ET/XT boxes i dont have one so cant test your specific problem.

garry1312
19th January, 2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks Ruberduck look forward to the release :)

blueflash234
3rd February, 2012, 10:05 AM
open pli is a very nice image dont know if pts works never use it you can also install cccam 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 from the server with the configs,its a nice image