PDA

View Full Version : VIRGIN netgear WGR614, does it work on other isp's ?

Saltire
8th January, 2009, 09:16 PM
As the title says, will the VIRGIN netgear WGR614 router work on broadband supplied by another provider, for example sky or bt etc.

If not, can it be flashed with firmware to make it work with other providers ? and if thats the case then how would we do that ?

Jaffa
8th January, 2009, 09:20 PM
No it wont work, Cable is DSL and BT is ADSL.

Saltire
8th January, 2009, 09:28 PM

says in the setup options during installation to choose either adsl or cable, so it must be able to do both in that case, dont ya think, no ?

shady77
8th January, 2009, 09:30 PM
think you'll find that the software is generic for both types of router. so if you had the adasl version, it would install that specific software, and vice versa for cable

Saltire
8th January, 2009, 10:08 PM
so wheres that leave me then, lol ? does that mean it defo will not work on another providers broadband apart from virgin ?

Even if the firmware dont allow it to work i would imagine nowdays that a netgear router can be flashed to use any provider, thats what iam meaning too ?

shady77
8th January, 2009, 10:12 PM
sorry mate. its a cable router. it will only work on cable! it hasnt got a port to connect to an adsl filter.
and the only cable provider is.........

Saltire
8th January, 2009, 10:34 PM
sorry mate. its a cable router. it will only work on cable! it hasnt got a port to connect to an adsl filter.

awww man :mad: thats a real bummer, i really did think it could be done :(, hmm, i can remember couple of years ago i had a netgear router and iam sure it could do both adsl and cable, i know it was just a standard netgear, wasnt for a specific company or anything, maybe thats whats throwing me off ?

have you ever looked into flashing these routers mate ?? (or anyone else), i know that its possible to flash a router and convert a lan port into a wan port and things like that.

shady77
8th January, 2009, 10:35 PM
c'mon Thomson, you know as well as i do that we cant discuss hacking cable equipment here...lol
btw sorry mate i dont know how to flash a router anyway

Saltire
8th January, 2009, 10:38 PM
c'mon Thomson, you know as well as i do that we cant discuss hacking cable equipment here...lol
btw sorry mate i dont know how to flash a router anyway

ilmao @ cant discuss hacking equipment, lol.

Ye, iam almost positive that theres a way to flash these ~~~~ers so that they can use any provider, well i hope so, lol.

(and with regards to cable equipment, lol, this is mines, i purchased it from virgin and they says its mines to keep forever, so its mines, lol)

Saltire
9th January, 2009, 09:21 PM
yea :), i knew i was right, i started this thread, look here >>> DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - VIRGIN NETGEAR WGR614 V9, CABLE & ADSL ??? (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=248131#248131)

Saltire
10th January, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, i was thinking about this since last night and i think now i understand where both you guys are coming from in your posts >>>

and here >>>

Ive been thinking all along "why cant i use this router with an adsl provider", and i couldnt quite get my head round why you'z were saying it wouldnt work.

You need to bear in mind that ive never had adsl broadband or even took much notice of the hardware that adsl use's.

So what iam thinking now, and you can correct me if iam wrong, the adsl connection obviously comes through the phone line and uses the bt socket on the wall etc as i know, but then after that i imagined that it was a similar setup to cable broadband in that you would have a seperate modem and seperate router, but now that i think of it, i think maybe adsl has the router/modem combined and would therefore have a socket on it for the cable to plug from the bt socket to the router/modem, is that correct ???

If that is correct, then thats the reason ive been getting mixed up, i thought that with adsl that there would simply be a seperate modem and seperate router, you can see where my mistake is, eh ?? lol

I contacted netgear about the router too and they says that it can be used as a wireless switch with adsl (whatever a wireless switch is, lol), this is exactly what netgear tech says ""Regarding the concern, please note that when you register your self for ADSL service , you can use ADSL modem to connect to the ISP and then you can use this router to connect to the ADSL modem and allow the wireless computers to connect to the wireless network.

So now iam still somewhat confused, lol, any input on this would be great, plus what about the adsl hardware, what type of hardware do you get if you sign up with the likes of bt or sky or talktalk etc ??

AdillaTheBum
3rd June, 2009, 09:57 PM
At the risk of 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' perhaps this will help.

ADSL: Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line

This is a completely different signalling system than that used by Virgin. The plugs are different sizes and the MODEM inside an ADSL Netgear router will not decode the signals sent by Virgin (or visa versa for that matter). Whomever told you that ADSL and Cable connections can be made by the same Netgear router are talking from their bottom. There are some routers that will allow two simultaneous connections but they are high end and expensive, not the kind of thing that Virgin or any other ISP are likely to send out 'free'.

firemouth
4th June, 2009, 12:27 PM
At the risk of 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' perhaps this will help.

ADSL: Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line

This is a completely different signalling system than that used by Virgin. The plugs are different sizes and the MODEM inside an ADSL Netgear router will not decode the signals sent by Virgin (or visa versa for that matter). Whomever told you that ADSL and Cable connections can be made by the same Netgear router are talking from their bottom. There are some routers that will allow two simultaneous connections but they are high end and expensive, not the kind of thing that Virgin or any other ISP are likely to send out 'free'.

Cock!
this router will work with BT, Vermin or any other BB provider. only modem are transmission type sensitive. its not rocket science for god sake. the router has a LAN connection and so does the modem. result? your modem needs to be, ASDL or Cable, specific. your router just need to talk in network protocol. and that is the same whichever input you use. simple really.

@AdillaTheBum nothing you wrote has anything to do with what a router does. check out the difference between a router and a modem. you seem to have the two confused.

satman
4th June, 2009, 12:30 PM
only concern is,, ADSL modems tend to be built into the router,,, so you get ADSL Modem routers,,, netgear do provide one , as do belkin, and loads of other manufactors.
Not many ADSL modems about apart from shity speedtouch things.

firemouth
4th June, 2009, 04:47 PM
only concern is,, ADSL modems tend to be built into the router,,, so you get ADSL Modem routers,,, netgear do provide one , as do belkin, and loads of other manufactors.
Not many ADSL modems about apart from shity speedtouch things.

thats ok coz the 614 netgear is only a router. if you want to remove the Vermin software, you can flash it from the netgear site. as for why its not working now, i cant say. but its not because it WILL not work with BT. a router is a router is a router, whoever you are connected too. and no amount of "ersatz expert" comment will change that.

pat100
18th September, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thats right but note that you need an extra box - a modem - attached to the WGR614.

A virgin/cable modem for cable (DSL) or an ADSL modem for broadband down a telephone line.

I would be surprised if you could not connect to any ADSL supplier simply by doing a factory reset on the router but then, I am often surprised.

Note the word "modem" in the System Requirements here:
Wireless Broadband Routers: WGR614 (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php)

cwjones
15th January, 2010, 02:35 PM
I beg to differ with all the cynics. I, however have been a little more optimistic.

I do believe you are correct in saying that the DSL router requires an RJ11 (phone line) socket which is usually only available on an ADSL router. DSL only have JR45. My ISP is through my telephone line not Fiber Ops Cable.

Virgin actually supply a netgear WGR614v9 which they stupidly supplied me with after I had already set up a Linksys N series network. There is no contest! I also run the lot on a Mac network, yet another one for the cynics...

Actually, correct again. Virgin do not supply support for Macs! But Mac supply support for BootCamp so you can use the "other" operating system.

So BootCamp your Mac or boot you PC (Piece of C**p). open up your preferred browser. I'm using Chrome.

Plug in your router and connect the Yellow cable from the routers LAN switch sockets (not the yellow socket) and wait for it to assign an IP to you computer.

Type: 192.168.1.1
Cheap looking Webpage appears.
Name your SSID.
Give it an access password.
Leave the router password.

Security Dialogue box will appear asking for access username and password for the router which is actually on the base of the router. virgin and password are the default.

If your current ADSL router sends out IP's (DHCP) your in luck. You don't need to do anything else. If not, you need to find all the IP, Subs, Gateways, Default DNS's from your ISP. or if you can, try and get into the router and set it to assign IP's automatically over your network. Don't ask how, I don't know what router your using.

Once your happy you have connected to the netgear WGR614v9.
Unplug the Yellow cable from you computer and plug it directly into your ADSL routers Network LAN switch (there are 4)

Thats it!

Now go to your computer and fire up the Wireless. You should see a nice new signal coming from you Virgin netgear WGR614v9

Good Luck with that! I'll check back sometime to see if there are any probems....