PDA

View Full Version : Laptop needed with built in rs232 serial port

funkytv
8th January, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

I need to buy a laptop with a built in rs232 port, the only problem is these ports have been faded out, and are now next to impossible to find brand new.

So need to look second hand.

Can anyone reccommend a decent one, what make and model so i can start searching ebay. doesn't need to be top of the range, around the ?200 mark

Cheers

portbhoy
8th January, 2009, 10:45 PM
Dell latitude D600 a basic lappy but you'll get one cheap ;)

funkytv
8th January, 2009, 11:28 PM
iv been looking at those D600's. they seem ok and not bad for between ?100-150.

Can you think of anything thats a little bit more modern, or do you think thats the best bet.

jckw
8th January, 2009, 11:35 PM
hi does anyone know if i can purchase a pci rs232 port from anywere havin trouble with serial adapter

caveman_nige
8th January, 2009, 11:36 PM
there are loads available mate just try ebay or your local computer shop or newspaper. I have bought a few over the years from a company called clonesuk.com

caveman_nige
8th January, 2009, 11:38 PM
hi does anyone know if i can purchase a pci rs232 port from anywere havin trouble with serial adapter

Not sure what your asking here... can you give more detail..

cactikid
8th January, 2009, 11:57 PM
some pcs will take a serial card and some wont depending on motherboard ,for laptops i think it is called pc express card,take care there are 2 different widths and i bought wrong one,i needed narrow one,ideal for flashing,any local small pc shops usually sell second hand pcs and laptops and i came across a compaq ideal for flashing.

ITS A SCAM !
11th January, 2009, 11:51 PM
I have got myself a second hand compaq nc6000. Its got all the sockets you need, its also got infa-red link and built in bluetooth and wifi..this is a really good laptop, you get about 2-2.5 hours batterey life and a good ATI graphics card. There is also a SD card reader and 2 PCMCIA slots. The laptop cost ?180 off ebay on a buy it now. I have fitted a 120gb hard drive to replace the 30gb what came with it, and also replaced the cdrom/dvdrom for a litescribe dvd rewriter. Also i have upgraded the Ram to 2Gb from a supplied 512mb. I really recommend one of the laptops as its so easy to upgrade and parts are not hard to find...Oh, and the compaq website provides all the support and drivers you will ever need for you machine....I give it a good 9 out of 10

tgedge
16th July, 2009, 08:58 PM
Try this web site, they have a great range of laptops with serial ports under ?200:

http://www.val-u-computers.co.uk (http://www.val-u-computers.co.uk/)

janobi
26th July, 2009, 08:32 PM
You can buy a USB to Serial adaptor, and then connect whatever you need to it.

billy_boy786
31st July, 2009, 11:34 PM
You can buy a USB to Serial adaptor, and then connect whatever you need to it.

snap!

exactly what i was thinking..

ive been using a usb adaptor for a while now with my dbox2/dreambox's and works very well.. make sure to get 1 with its drives, can be an issue sometimes

freebear
12th February, 2012, 02:29 AM
Hi m8 ,
take a look at dell d620 - d630
If you need , the d630 support 64 bit OS
I use it with 8 gb ram http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif