PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first mac

andy211081
8th January, 2012, 07:21 PM
i have just ordered a new iMac, i have never had a mac before but they have always appealed to me. What do i do first? is there any guides to using your first mac.

What are the main differences with the mac and windows pc?

Thanks
Andy

Shady
8th January, 2012, 07:23 PM
no such thing as a windows pc.. a windows capable pc is more powerful for less money.. thats the MAIN difference

andy211081
8th January, 2012, 07:32 PM
i am looking for a space saving Computer so i went with the imac. you not a fan then shady?

Shady
8th January, 2012, 07:34 PM
not of underpowered overpriced computers/tablets/phones im not ;) plenty of space saving pcs out there

andy211081
8th January, 2012, 07:38 PM
you got any recommendations buddy? as i still have time to cancel ;-)

dell_xps
8th January, 2012, 08:27 PM
Imac rocks m8, get it !!

andy211081
8th January, 2012, 08:52 PM
Do i have to download apps for it like an iphone or ipod? or are there most programs like on a pc that has windows installed?

dell_xps
8th January, 2012, 09:20 PM
Hacked apps all over the net m8 :-)

andy211081
8th January, 2012, 10:49 PM
So yes its just apps that i get similar to my iphone etc? or do i get programs same as my Windows pc?

dell_xps
8th January, 2012, 11:30 PM
You'll get every prog you need from the net m8, apps & progs, check out sinfuliphone.com :-), for starters.

andy211081
10th January, 2012, 10:53 PM
i have had this imac for a few hours and i dont like it at all..cant get the proggys i want that i had on my old pc :-(

I cant even get to grips with any other ftp proggy to use as i have always used flashfxp and all the others i have tried are shite lol

Shady
10th January, 2012, 10:54 PM
send it back.. buy a pc :)

in fact.... im sure somebody advised against macs somewhere else.. maybe it was in this thread.. cant for the life of me remember who it was tho... ;)

smirnoff_rules
10th January, 2012, 11:07 PM
ftp program Transmit 4 0 6 - Free Download from rapidshare - FilesTube.com (http://www.filestube.com/7kvWFjyRyTk8qpBMrlnEvt/Transmit-4-0-6.html)

best five Five Best FTP Clients (http://lifehacker.com/5039956/five-best-ftp-clients)

Sirus
10th January, 2012, 11:14 PM
So yes its just apps that i get similar to my iphone etc? or do i get programs same as my Windows pc?

You can install Windows on a mac using Boot Camp. And then boot either to Windows or Mac OS on startup... If that makes you feel better. So not all is lost if for whatever reason you feel alienated by Mac OS but have always wanted a Mac...

Also, just like dell_xps says- Both apps and progs, Mac OS is a full OS, not like iOS which is a mobile OS with just common watered down features... in most cases both Windows/Mac use the same program(like Google Earth, FireFox or VLC player etc).. if stuck just search for the type of prog you want, almost any program Windows has, the Mac the has the same or a very equivalent program. Also in Mac OS snow leopard and upwards there is the App Store, so you can download apps and run them right on the OS

The best simple tip for a first time mac user is understanding the TASKBAR at the top of the screen.. it changes depending on what prog you are working in. So firefox's options etc will appear in the taskbar(not in the window box, like in a Windows OS).. this can be confusing when you don't know this because people assume when wanting to set preferences, they think there is no options etc and they're using a watered down version of the windows counter part. They don't realize how the TaskBar changes when progs are in use. So if you have 2 programs running, whatever one you are clicked on will dictate what settings are in the Taskbar.... etc from Firefox to VLC, the Taskbar will instantly change to VLC Taskbar, then when you click back on the Firefox window, it changes back again to Firefox taskbar

Also on other quick tip, close progs from the Taskbar by quitting them. Hitting the red ball in the window corner puts them into standby mode.(again most people think this closes the prog completely)... you can tell what is still running by looking at the dock, if the icon has a small arrow under it.

EDIT- lol, I was in the middle of typing this up when you posted..... FTPing is easy on a mac, just open Finder click connect(on taskbar), then server, then enter ip addy to connect(if I remember correctly.. not on mac at the minute)

dell_xps
11th January, 2012, 08:31 AM
Once you have had a mac you wont go back, Windows sucks, fact !!

andy211081
11th January, 2012, 05:58 PM
hi guys thanks for the posts i have played around for half an hour today and getting the hang of it i found a ftp proggy that is similar to flasfxp called crossftp so shall use that.

i will play around for a week or so, any tips are always good

andy211081
12th January, 2012, 10:21 AM
You will all get fed up of me posting here....but have any of you used Migration Assistant to transfer stuff from a pc to a mac? i have just used it and it took 9 hours and when i try and find the stuff its nowhere to be seen, i have looked in the other user it created but it only transferred my emails and nothing else

shagx
12th January, 2012, 10:33 AM
Can you not search for files using finder to see if they have transferred accross

andy211081
12th January, 2012, 03:55 PM
i tried that yesterday but just done again and found some files stored under g under the macintosh hd

andy211081
12th January, 2012, 05:13 PM
sorted it so ignore

mulberry123
18th September, 2012, 12:21 AM
Totally agree with the 'once u go mac, u don't go back' I've had my mac since late January and I love it! So glad I became an apple geek!

gmb45
18th September, 2012, 06:44 AM
*confession*

:sheep:, just happened to find me sen looking at these in pc world yesterday, :embarassed: ( just looking honest shady fud lol) ~~~~ me the price of em, they got one in my local tescos, 1000 beer tokens ffs :eek: ( a dont spend that on a car lol ) you could get a top spec windows pc fur less, ~~~~ mac, over priced cack :puke:

worthdog
23rd November, 2012, 06:00 PM
you defo wont go back to windows after a mac !

laz1
4th January, 2013, 04:45 PM
Main advantage of the mac is the OS. With the way Windows is going on 8 thank goodness for the Mac OS. Also viruses are still scarce, and it will be hard for viruses to infect your mac because of how hard it is to bypass security. It takes like a month for a PC transplant to get used tot he mac. Also become familiar with keyboard shortcuts. They all work the same across applications. Commad-S Command-N Command-Q Command-N The Helps sections has all the commands listed, if not search the web.

X

Humesmeister
4th January, 2013, 05:51 PM
Best thing you have ever done!! you will not go wrong with a Mac.... you will soon pick up everything and you can always go and get a book that tells you everything about mac's inside w.h.smith

Pppr
5th January, 2013, 04:17 PM
As a first timer, it may take you a few days to get used to Mac principles. Once you use a Mac you will never go back to a PC, unless you are hard up for money. There are videos at Apple site for showing you how to run each application and getting started.
First, all the applications you need to get started come with the Mac OS. Simple Text for writing, Apple Mail for mail, Safari for Internet, Calendar for your agenda, Quicktime for playing videos, Facetime for video chat, Contacts for you addresses, phones and other info., Messages for sending SMS and MMS messages without paying, Reminders like calendar, Notepad for taking notes, iTunes for music, video, movies, books, ... and sync of your iPhone, Pad, ..., Photo Booth for simple photo improvements, Preview is like Adobe Acrobat, iPhoto for your photos, Disk Utilities for repairing, formatting and making disk dmg (like iso), System preferences like control panel.
There are three other applications that install and give you iOS feeling, Launch Pad (for launching applications), Mission control like dashboard, A for App Store for downloading apps like iTunes store.
These are the basics. Inside a folder called utilities (inside the application folder) you will find powerful utilities. For instance Terminal gives you full command line control. member that Mac OS is uses Unix with all its securities.
If you are a programmer you can install Xcode that includes a debugger.
All above applications are free and come with the system.
For very little money:
You can install iLife. This gives you iMovie, iDVD, Garage Band. If you install iWorks you get equivalent of Microsfot Office (Pages, Tables and Keynote).

With more money you can install Microsft Office and all Adobe programmes.
You can partition your hard disk and install Windows on that partition. Because the processor is in both cases is Intel, Mac runs Windows applications very fast. But nobody uses a Mac to run Windows apps unless that application does not exist on Mac or at Work you needed it.
I did not write about simple applications, games or scientfic applications. They are all available.

s1lh0u3tt3
12th January, 2013, 05:16 PM
Welcome to mac world and enjoy, little adjustment/adaptation from windows but once you go mac, you never go back!

tonynw
13th January, 2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome to mac world and enjoy, little adjustment/adaptation from windows but once you go mac, you never go back!

I have to agree the mac is superb and the support from there tech guys is superb you get 90 days full tech support when you buy one and if you take our there 3 year cover you get full warranty and full telephone support for the full 3 years, anything you want to do and are not sure about just give them a call and will talk you through it with you.

tonynw.

madmanuk
17th January, 2013, 07:26 PM
i have a imac just over 12 months is very hard to find progs that work ok and i have had 2 screens go on me in that time,I really won't go back to a pc but i do run windows on my mac for 1 or 2 progs,When my warranty runs out its being sold cuzz i can't afford to buy a screen if it goes again ?500, Macs are good when them work.

hotchef
27th January, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hacked apps all over the net m8 :-)

I got a macbook pro for christmas

I love it already. much better than windows and i have had a few.

I installed serial box, but for me the versions of apps i download don't marry with serial box 01.2013) stb2

I read the apps off the net can carry virus?

Do you have installed a antiivirus on your mac?

gopher7
27th January, 2013, 10:27 AM
You don't really need anti-virus on a mac, but I run Sophos just incase.