PDA

View Full Version : problem installing linux server edition

Jo-Jo
13th January, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi i am trying to install linux server 10.04 on a tower i have but having problems i have set up a usb stick and boot to it and get the language selection screen then the option to install ubuntu server it goes through the keyboard setup and progresses through the network setup it then asks for a mirror to access archives or something and says its downloading but just sticks at 0% i can not get past this point i have even tried different countries but still the same

can anyone at all help me please

thanks in advance

TheCoder
13th January, 2012, 05:39 PM
It sounds like you've put the NetInstall version of the linux installer on your USB stick. This requires you to have a working network connection (the linux distro must support your hardware directly) and to be able to point the installer to a distribution 'mirror' site thats reasonably local (usually in same country). If you have a network card that isn't supported you wont get any further at this point !

Most distributions will give you a list of approved mirrors somewhere on the vendors website or do a google search. You must point your installer at the proper link for it to continue with the install. That usually means pointing at a specific iso's directory within the mirror repository, not just putting in the name of the mirror

What servers are you trying to run ?

If you want a proper server setup (rather than a desktop) the CENTOS distribution is a far better bet. Thats what most webservers tend to use as their base OS.

s0lid
18th January, 2012, 02:05 PM
have you setup your ip and gateway? Im not sure with ubuntu if this will work, click alt+F1 and try to ping something if that doesn't work then you don't have network access.