PDA

View Full Version : vista ...> XP

Mordor1946
3rd May, 2008, 07:02 PM
Any one know how to partitition Vista with the new partition being XP bootable ?
there are a few posted via google but they don't work...

TravelHead
4th May, 2008, 12:14 PM
Standard practise is to install old microsoft o/s first.

If possible I would recommend keeping the o/s on separate hdd rather than just separate partition.

I haven't done vista first, xp second, but here are a couple of guides
Dual Boot Vista and XP with Vista already installed
www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide
apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed _first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

A free boot manager - EasyBCD
neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Mordor1946
4th May, 2008, 01:51 PM
apcmag.com/how...is one that does not work...some of the commands given say 'not a recognised command'..however will look at the other link...
would have put on 2 different drives but its a laptop and it only has the one possible...
thanks for your trouble..regards !!

TravelHead
5th May, 2008, 06:49 AM
I don't know if this will help:

www.tweakvista.com/article39206.aspx

Windows Vista is installed

If you were like me and completely reformatted your hard drive and wiped out XP when you installed Vista, your setup is going to be a little more complicated. Follow these steps:

1.Boot up your computer with a Windows XP install CD and install Windows XP to a different partition or physical drive than where Vista is installed.

2.When the setup is finished, your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP. Don?t worry, Windows Vista is still on your computer if you correctly installed XP to a different partition or physical drive.
When you installed XP, the Vista Boot Manager was replaced by the Windows XP boot components. The Vista Boot Manager needs to be fixed by using the Windows Vista install DVD. Boot your computer to the Windows Vista install DVD , click Next on the regional settings screen and then click on Repair your computer in the lower left of the window. Select your Windows Vista install and then run the Startup Repair. This will fix the Windows Boot Manager and Vista will once again startup automatically.

3.Now we need to add an entry to the Windows Boot Manger for Windows XP. This is done through Windows Vista. When you are back in Vista, open an administrative level command prompt window and run these commands:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot
bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

1.Reboot your computer and test out the new boot menu.

Dual boot has now been configured on your computer. You will be able to enjoy the enhancements of Windows Vista without giving up the ability to run older applications that require Windows XP."

biffo1
5th May, 2008, 11:46 AM
i duel boot on lappy and pc , but i put xp on 1st then vista on pc i use a different drive and on lappy ive partitioned the c drive

TravelHead
6th May, 2008, 11:13 PM
Have you made any progress with this?

Mordor1946
16th May, 2008, 09:04 PM
Have you made any progress with this?
Sorry been too busy but will give this a whirl and let you know how I get on...thanks!

caveman_nige
16th May, 2008, 09:44 PM
I went xp first after reading into it, then vista, had to add some app to give a boot menu, easybcd i think. Then i installed Ubuntu in a third partition., A fourth partition i use as a data partition visible to all three clients.

tip: vista system restore overwrites the xp system restore.

Mordor1946
21st May, 2008, 12:32 PM
Tried to install XP to new Vista partition...XP install could not see any 'Mass Storage devices' i.e. could'nt see the partition to install to....I only have the restore discs that were issued with the Lappie so this may be part of the prob as the drivers on that may not be correct...will probabably go back to basics and install XP first then Vista .. thanks for any advice offered.

aminaz
21st May, 2008, 02:51 PM
xp can't see your hard disc! the solution is to use third party drivers issued while installing xp :
get the drivers from manufacturer site (use your lappy model to look for xp drivers), you should be able to create a floppy disc containing necessary files (if you don't have any floppy drive, then just create it on another pc and copy files to a flashdisk, files have to remain at the root), floppy or flashdisk have to be plugged before beginning installation.
while booting with xp cd, you may read "press F6 to load drivers ..." at screen bottom : just do it and you'll be asked for files source, choose from the given list.
there you are ;)

Mordor1946
31st May, 2008, 05:27 PM
thanks for that I'll give it a go and let you know...

Mordor1946
23rd June, 2008, 07:36 PM
Well it worked eventually but req'd the purchase of an external floppy drive --once it could see the drivers on that it loaded in ...no problem !!
Thanks to all for help given....cheers