PDA

View Full Version : DM800 Ordered from Yaoxin China

reloaded
17th January, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys

anybody order a dm800 hd pro from yaoxin lately?

i've realised the new heatsink is so big, that you no longer
can install a sata hard drive inside!

i can just about fit the hard drive, but trying to squeeze
in the sata cable is impossible!!!

i've emailed the guy, (tony) but all his sent me is a picture of
a naked dm800 with a hd installed, without a sata cable installed, which is pretty usless!!!

i've had no choice but to remove the giant heatsink,
and install the hard drive, but still feel the box needs
a decent heatsink, just incase it over heats?

any ideas anyone???

thanks in advance.

smirnoff_rules
17th January, 2012, 09:31 PM
there is a few posts about this l have seen , do a search above m8 here one http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f205/hi-new-heatsink-dm800pro-no-fan-245325/?highlight=heat+sink

IAmATeaf
18th January, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cut the heatsink as per the other post or get Tony to send over the slimmer heatsink and fan.

To be honest I've not been impressed with their service of late.

scooby5555
19th January, 2012, 12:47 AM
3 days on and still waiting for a tracking number and so is a friend of mine, service goes downhill once the moneys handed over, will give them the benefit of doubt as I am hoping them to be good, reliable suppliers.

billy2
19th January, 2012, 03:38 AM
is it not around the time of the Chinese New Year ???

scooby5555
19th January, 2012, 11:22 AM
It is new year in China but payment was pushed for 2 days before they closed and there were 2 working days left which should have given Tony enough time to send tracking number, again just a bit unhappy with the service but I will feedback once it arrives as I did a lot of searching here to find a reliable supplier so my experiance may aid someone else, good or bad.

reloaded
19th January, 2012, 06:19 PM
Tony sent me an ''out of office reply''

he will be back to work on the 30th of Jan.

reloaded
19th January, 2012, 06:29 PM
I managed to hacksaw off the damn heatsink, not pretty
but had to be done, thats the last time i'm ordering a
DM800PRO.

Pictures provided below.

lombard
19th January, 2012, 09:58 PM
I managed to hacksaw off the damn heatsink, not pretty
but had to be done, thats the last time i'm ordering a
DM800PRO.

Pictures provided below.

Hi, thats a great job why dont the suppliers have that sized heatsinks, forget using the internal fans , waste of time i think they get loud quite quick anyway, with bigger heatsink while still having enough room for hdd is the way :)

thanks for the pictures should email that to the supplier

Simba92
19th January, 2012, 11:02 PM
When i first saw these i thought they were just a bad batch. But now seeing more and more and it seems like a major cock up at the factory.

The point of the heatsink is to disperse heat away from the processor. So isnt chopping off half on it going to cause over heating issues, as these boxes already run quite hot.

The more i look at it, it just seems the the design for the 800hd is really poor, like they've got all the components and tried to squeeze them into a tiny box where they should have made it an inch or 2 bigger and would have had no such problems.

scooby5555
20th January, 2012, 01:52 AM
Good job on the mod, but when you pay ?160+ for what is effectively a Satellite receiver you dont expect to start hacking it, the problem is with the Chinese suppliers or Factories whom are doing a botch job of it to minimise returns on warranty due to the fans playing up, put some decent fans on in the first place then, I am sure we all have fans in our PC's etc that run for 10+ years.

I still dont understand why they cost so much, cant be the sum of all its parts in the price tag, can it?

reloaded
20th January, 2012, 01:09 PM
Simba,

i totally undertand your point, but from experience, the only thing that over heats inside the unit is the tuner.

my box is on 24/7, sometimes after shutting it down i'll open it up, and slightly touch the processor, and it's no way as hot as the tuner.

so the idea of a fan to remove the hot air is much better, if you like these cheap boxes from CHINA, then atleast buy a external usb fan, (on ebay for a fiver)

scooby5555
20th January, 2012, 07:41 PM
Simba,

i totally undertand your point, but from experience, the only thing that over heats inside the unit is the tuner.

my box is on 24/7, sometimes after shutting it down i'll open it up, and slightly touch the processor, and it's no way as hot as the tuner.

so the idea of a fan to remove the hot air is much better, if you like these cheap boxes from CHINA, then atleast buy a external usb fan, (on ebay for a fiver)

I suppose the best design is how Dream originally intended, they did all the R&D for these boxes so they know whats best.

blueflash234
20th January, 2012, 08:01 PM
I suppose the best design is how Dream originally intended, they did all the R&D for these boxes so they know whats best.

yes but dream use top quality components,the clone manufacters don't, you get what you pay for

alec
21st January, 2012, 12:41 AM
Well I would reduce the size of the heat sink, and put the unit on a USB cooling pad.It is not worth bothering China if it is just a one off, and the box is working ok.

smirnoff_rules
21st January, 2012, 12:50 AM
do u lot record that much u need a hd , isn't a USB all u need anyway