PDA

View Full Version : What size USB Stick for Permanent Time Shift?

Midnight Rider
18th January, 2012, 06:11 PM
Just ordered an ET5000 and noticed that some people use a USB stick for PTS, Picons, EPG etc.

Seems like a good idea but what size would anyone recomend that I buy?

Cheers

RuberDuck
18th January, 2012, 06:40 PM
personally i would not use a USB stick for PTS due to the differing read and write speeds offered by USB sticks as apposed to a dedicated HDD.

TheCoder
19th January, 2012, 02:52 AM
The flash memory also has a limited number of write cycles. Continuously writing large files over and over to the same memory will soon knacker it !

Generally, standard flash memory isn't really suitable for anything that changes regularly.

flyingpig
20th January, 2012, 10:21 PM
As said above, the pen drive is way too slow to use for PTS. Fit an internal HDD.

Midnight Rider
21st January, 2012, 12:20 AM
OK, but I understood the idea of the USB was to avoid having the HDD constantly spinning?

BadBoyR
22nd January, 2012, 11:25 AM
I am using a 4gb USB stick with mine and it has been fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

billyboy2011
21st February, 2012, 09:14 PM
If you set up for max record time of 30 minutes in the PTS config, a 4gb pen/key is suffice.

garry1312
22nd February, 2012, 11:03 AM
OK, but I understood the idea of the USB was to avoid having the HDD constantly spinning?

On my receivers I have always saved PTS to the HDD. I think people at times under estimate a HDD. There are HDD's in plenty of items that require it to constantly function.

Even look at a Sky receiver, the PTS on that is not saved to a USB stick it is saved to the HDD.

For best performance save it to your HDD a pen drive will pack in way way before your HDD will with PTS.