PDA

View Full Version : A NEW SECTION FOR CLONES OR NOT AT ALL ?

dell_xps
20th January, 2012, 02:54 PM
I know the guys over at WOS aren't entertaining the cloned boxes, so who thinks it's a good idea to have a clone section and an original section.
Personally I'm not fussed, just wondered what other peeps thought ?

Data7
20th January, 2012, 02:58 PM
I would be interested in a clone section purely to take away the problem of wrong images on the right box. not everybody takes the time to label the images with enough info to help people navigate threw the sea of images.
:party:
:star:

garry1312
20th January, 2012, 02:59 PM
I personally dont think it is needed.

The Dreambox section on Digital-Kaos is not split in to clone and original and it works fine.

People just need to be clear that any upload is for clone or original. When someone is asking for help they should state if it is a clone receiver so that others can provide them with the correct information

pspmixer
20th January, 2012, 07:04 PM
i think a clone section would be great
if the firmware are different compared to the original it would make sense to so people dont get wrong firmware, images / software

satsmo
20th January, 2012, 09:16 PM
I know the guys over at WOS aren't entertaining the cloned boxes, so who thinks it's a good idea to have a clone section and an original section.
Personally I'm not fussed, just wondered what other peeps thought ?

I have set up a poll Dell let's see how it goes. I have set it up to close after 30 days.

I am of the same opinion as Garry but mine is just one opinion among the many members here and only counts as one vote. I could cheat but I won't :)

cgscott
20th January, 2012, 09:28 PM
Im with Garry as well. If people took time to read up on things they buy they wouldnt make mistakes. Granted we all do at some point when learning new things but I think people who come here just expect to pick the images and fire them on the boxes and be sitting watching TV within 10 minutes.

Leave as is and make them read carefully or end up learning the hard way by being ignorant and not taking time read up.

cactikid
20th January, 2012, 09:37 PM
yes my thoughts exactly,the future may bring more clone boxes and things may differ,it will be up to the person who buys a box to do the research to know what they buy and post in the relevant section.more crap for the mods to sort out but i am only thinking of the newbie buying and getting the correct info.
i can see wos not supporting clones to be correct as they do the original boxes so will give 100% support when needed.

satsmo
20th January, 2012, 09:39 PM
Nowt to do with cross forum policies lets just stick to the poll. I am however surprised at how close it is even at this early stage, some must be getting parachuted in :)

garry1312
21st January, 2012, 02:00 AM
nice idea with the poll can see me watching this closely.

Made my vote and its now standing at 50/50.

joe516
21st January, 2012, 02:30 AM
i think a clone section would be great

GastonJ
21st January, 2012, 02:37 AM
I voted yes, 'cos I always do... however one thought is that if the sections are split then maybe have the sections split for images but a combined section for information, otherwise you might end up with either duplicated information or, worse still, information that is relevant to both only posted in one of the sections. Wish I'd voted no now :)

RuberDuck
21st January, 2012, 11:48 AM
my self I see a clone section as a waste of forum bandwidth. If images for cloned receivers are labeled as clone safe then there is no risk to the end user. come to think of it who then takes responsibility and liability if a supposed clone safe image were to be uploaded to a clone section which subsequently damages some ones cloned receiver ?.

personally i say keep the forum as is, and if some one buys a cloned box it is their responsibility to know what is safe to use on the receiver. also if you do make a clone section for the Vu boxes are you then going to do the same for the Dreambox section and segregate that forum into clone and original forums ?.

dell_xps
21st January, 2012, 12:29 PM
How many people actually own an original Dreambox ?......j/k RD :-)

cactikid
21st January, 2012, 01:46 PM
yes a 500s,got the keyboard also and a very thick book lol.

RuberDuck
21st January, 2012, 01:57 PM
How many people actually own an original Dreambox ?......j/k RD :-)

LOL well i have two my self a DM7020 and a DM600 plus a few TM600's etc etc.

dell_xps
21st January, 2012, 04:36 PM
DM 8000HD anybody own an original ?....back to the poll :-)

freck
21st January, 2012, 08:47 PM
The DM800 section probably started off an an "original Box" section and take a look at it now.
Probably the busiest section on the site,itll do no harm to add a clone section for VU.
It'll bring in more members and boost the sites rep plus give mods less grief in moving posts etc.
Make things as simple as possible for peeps and theyll congregate the forums more often....simples!!
I votes "YES"....why not??
Freck

potrobber
22nd January, 2012, 12:58 AM
i think a clone section is ok and voted yes

i still dont think it will stop alota people messing up there box because thats going to be done before they get to this site

its happening with dm,s every day and will happen with vu,s

the dm section can be confussing for some to work out whats right and wrong for there box when they sometimes dont even know what box they have

atleast if a clone section has the right images in it thats a start and i have a clone box coming so will need loads of help lol

also of coarse a little but a blade section is needed aswell

dell_xps
22nd January, 2012, 01:04 AM
What clone you getting m8 ?

potrobber
22nd January, 2012, 01:26 AM
What clone you getting m8 ?
one of these duo,s to try more for the twin tuner fuction not for the fact its a duo because its not in my eyes its just a twin tuner box that might be good or bad ,i dont mind trying one to see

im using a blade and tm5402 at the moment to get round the twin tuner problem

dell_xps
22nd January, 2012, 01:28 AM
Let us know how good it is etc, few pics also :-)

potrobber
22nd January, 2012, 01:34 AM
Let us know how good it is etc, few pics also :-)

m8 i started a thread in general sat section that satsmo kindly moved over to vu duo chat called vu duo clone good or bad keep a eye on it

garry1312
22nd January, 2012, 06:07 PM
m8 i started a thread in general sat section that satsmo kindly moved over to vu duo chat called vu duo clone good or bad keep a eye on it

Nice mate will keep a eye on your good/ bad post was going to do something similar asking for users to write some sort of review with positives and negatives.

In my personal opinion I dont think a clone section is needed as I have stated before there never has been such a section for other receivers.

Yes mistakes may be made by owners but my opinion on that is how we learn and understand our receivers.

Also if a clone section is created for the Vu section then people are going to want a clone section for Dreambox, Openbox..... this will just create a lot of work for admin.

The forum would then be promoting clone receivers with all these clone sections that then may bring unwanted attention.

dell_xps
22nd January, 2012, 07:20 PM
See what happens with the poll m8.

garry1312
22nd January, 2012, 07:37 PM
See what happens with the poll m8.

Ofcourse mate but along with others I am just voicing my opinion.

potrobber
22nd January, 2012, 08:16 PM
hi garry

what you have said here is 100 percent true

Yes mistakes may be made by owners but my opinion on that is how we learn and understand our receivers.

Also if a clone section is created for the Vu section then people are going to want a clone section for Dreambox, Openbox..... this will just create a lot of work for admin.

The forum would then be promoting clone receivers with all these clone sections that then may bring unwanted attention

garry i just think its worth a try with a clones section for this box so people can post there,
then when someone is looking help its maybe not as hard to find our understand

unlike the dm section where its all mixed and seems to get alot of people that dont no what they need to do or where to get the right bootloader or image ,i just think if it gets sorted from the start it might be more helpfull for people to understand

of coarse that is if they know what box they have

because there is going to be lots that will buy these thinking they are the real deal and god help them

i also think if the price comes down to 160-170 it will be worth it for a twin tuner box thats not a duo and never will be but will be good value for what it is

garry1312
22nd January, 2012, 09:10 PM
unlike the dm section where its all mixed and seems to get alot of people that dont no what they need to do or where to get the right bootloader or image ,i just think if it gets sorted from the start it might be more helpfull for people to understand

See I dont think that is the case with the DM section. From time to time we will get a newbie not knowing these things or thinking that there receiver is a original but it does not take long for a member to realise that it is a clone model, realise what they need and to point them in the right direction. Also once upon a time there was no DM receivers, the change was not needed then so I dont see any need for it now. It is all part of the learning curve.

i also think if the price comes down to 160-170 it will be worth it for a twin tuner box thats not a duo and never will be but will be good value for what it is

I really cant see it coming down as low as that even if ordering directly from China. Also if the SE clone is released with a twin tuner which is looking very promising now I think more people will go for that over the Duo as the SE clone is well established now, tested and people are very happy with the build quality.

cactikid
22nd January, 2012, 10:27 PM
i see it as times are changing there were no clones years ago but now they are getting more popular but now the market is flooded by them,if we have 2 sections would we not get the best out of both boxes as i am sure some here know more about them ,if we dont move with the change will they go elsewhere.
its all about helping someone with their problems is why we try to help is it not?.

satsmo
22nd January, 2012, 11:13 PM
Better question would be who is going to support the patching of images for these clones?

I know that certain people won't be doing so, but then again the manufacturers usually grease a few palms.

The poll is looking decidedly one sided but will be left open as said for 30 day from start, it will be a while before these clones become widely used.

Plus why did I make a poll :)

garry1312
22nd January, 2012, 11:27 PM
I know sats why did you make a poll lol

Cact I dont think people will go elsewhere DK in my opinion is the best forum out there for support and has more than managed without clone sections. I have clone receivers and I wouldnt go to another forum that provided clone support sections because I know the support can be found here easily on DK.

cactikid
23rd January, 2012, 12:05 AM
give it 4 months and i bet alot more clones will have new homes,but as i have always said backup and support is vital for survival and as Satmo has said who is going to fix them.

garry1312
23rd January, 2012, 12:07 AM
time will tell what the future holds for these receivers.

Shady
23rd January, 2012, 12:13 AM
gaRRy told me to oppose a clone section, so i am..
now go and agree that die hard is the greatest film ever gaRRy

Bulld0g
23rd January, 2012, 12:14 AM
gaRRy told me to oppose a clone section, so i am..
now go and agree that die hard is the greatest film ever gaRRy

Doesn't work like that m8 :D

Shady
23rd January, 2012, 12:15 AM
erm yes it does

Bulld0g
23rd January, 2012, 12:15 AM
erm yes it does

Does not ;)

garry1312
23rd January, 2012, 12:17 AM
does so lol. He didnt think it was needed but didnt vote so we came to a agreement lol

garry1312
23rd January, 2012, 02:59 AM
Satsmo

If this goes ahead will it also happen for other receiver sections that have clone models also?

cactikid
23rd January, 2012, 09:47 PM
that may be hard with older boxes been out for 4 or 5 years,newer boxes can be easy as we are just starting a new phase.my thoughts.

satsmo
23rd January, 2012, 11:00 PM
Satsmo

If this goes ahead will it also happen for other receiver sections that have clone models also?

No I don't see any reason to do so as the DM areas are saturated with clones and as such original images are just patched for clones.

The same will happen with the VU clones, it will just take time but eventually they will reach a comparative level of saturation, (obviously to a lesser extent given sales to a lesser extent to DM boxes).

This is a poll to see the level of interest more so but as you can see it is one sided but very few people have voted as of yet, so we will wait until it ends.

garry1312
23rd January, 2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry sats was just thinking if it effected other receiver sections then maybe the thread would be better located in General sat for instance.

I agree the same will happen with the Vu's clones but I cannot see them doing as well as the DM clones simply because users have grown to trust the DM clones and I think we will see more from the DM clones.

Still early days on the poll so time will tell. I have added it to my signature on the hope that it will draw more attention :)

Meat-Head
24th January, 2012, 10:24 PM
Better question would be who is going to support the patching of images for these clones?

Plus why did I make a poll :)

1) If we have a clone section, if/when people have problems, it is
going to make life easier, "Is it a clone or real"

2) You made the poll, so people that have no idea what the poll is about
can vote on it, and spoil the results for the rest.

Yes, clone section, to seperate the real from the rif raf.

Oh, sorry, no idea what the hell this section is about, just see this thread in Garrry1323232323131's siggy

Meat

garry1312
25th January, 2012, 02:35 AM
Meat I hardly see my signature leading to some sort of conspiracy theory when the poll comes to a end, my signature will make no difference, I could put in my signature 'go jump off a bridge' no one is actually going to go do it!

My reason for adding it to my signature is that not everyone is going to go in the the Vu+ section but owners of others receivers are entitled to vote as they have not had another section within there receiver section. In my opinion those people are ideal voters as they have went without a clone section and they know better if it would be needed, could be needed or if it would have been better all along.

It is in my signature to bring it to the attention of others that may not come in to the Vu+ forum but could make a vote on there past experiences with other receiver sections.

Yes you may get someone that has no idea what it is about and say 'to hell with it ill vote anyway' but at the end of the day someone can easily be browsing through the section and do the exact same thing.

Selnec
25th January, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hi I'm a newbie I bought a box so I could learn, I knew about clones so I purchased a box advertised as 100% genuine, when I checked it out it appears to be a clone, returning it is more trouble than it is worth, so I will stick with it. So don't be so hard on people with clones, I bet a lot of people have fell into the same trap as I did, they need help & understanding not abuse. Thanks.

dell_xps
25th January, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hi I'm a newbie I bought a box so I could learn, I knew about clones so I purchased a box advertised as 100% genuine, when I checked it out it appears to be a clone, returning it is more trouble than it is worth, so I will stick with it. So don't be so hard on people with clones, I bet a lot of people have fell into the same trap as I did, they need help & understanding not abuse. Thanks.
A clone Vu Duo m8 ?

potrobber
25th January, 2012, 06:23 PM
selnic

are you saying you bought a clone vu duo? if so where?

if you paid the price of a genuine unit you

should return it no matter how hard it is to return

alom5
26th January, 2012, 09:09 PM
just seen this poll......and i would say a definite YES to a clone section and it should be done for the popular clones.

It would make life easier for everybody to just navigate to the relevant section.

I thought the dreambox section was for clones lol don't see many posts regarding originals in there lol.....and when i do see 1.........think they are in the wrong section lol

dell_xps
28th January, 2012, 11:23 AM
Looking close....lol

potrobber
28th January, 2012, 12:28 PM
hi dell

its looking good for the clones so far

i think the dm section is 97 percent clone section anyway and a poll to see if they need a genuine section not a clone section would show this lol

satsmo
28th January, 2012, 09:12 PM
What's in a poll :)

I will say one thing however we will wait until the market is flooded first and then take a look at it. As you have said the DM section doesn't show a clone section purely because of this fact.

One thing I will say is to those looking at buying a clone is wait until the first batch run through. These like other clones will use the public as their beta testers to iron out bugs.

I have seen one so far and it has been working as normal beside a genuine model now for a number of weeks, albeit on an older ViX image.

potrobber
29th January, 2012, 12:56 AM
One thing I will say is to those looking at buying a clone is wait until the first batch run through

thanks satmo you tell me this now after i buy one ,lol only joking

i got it to test and mess about with it seems to be doing the job so far but only time will tell,but i did order some more

chris2580
1st February, 2012, 03:34 PM
If images etc are clearly marked FOR CLONE i cant see any point having a seperate section tbh. Only my 2p worth.

cactikid
1st February, 2012, 09:56 PM
but who reads the details and small print and whacks it on the box anyway.

garry1312
2nd February, 2012, 08:35 AM
but who reads the details and small print and whacks it on the box anyway.

If someone doesnt read the details of a image flashes it to there receiver and bricks it they only have there self to blame.

No one else is responsible for the care of there receiver that is the owners place.

Shady
2nd February, 2012, 09:14 AM
Is this still going on?
Eventually vu clone users WILL outnumber genuine vu owners same as dreambox, so somewhere down the line.. maybe after 6 months, maybe a year, but sometime, both genuine and clone threads will be amalgamated into one in the next forum clearout rendering this poll useless.

garry1312
2nd February, 2012, 09:47 AM
To be honest if they release a SE twin tuner clone then I can see the Duo clone being dead in the water.

I know which one I would rather have, the one thats been tried and tested and has loads of support out there for it.

goozg
7th February, 2012, 11:43 PM
How many people actually own an original Dreambox ?

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 12:12 AM
well thats a hard guess to make mate theres a lot of people out there in the sat world lol

RuberDuck
8th February, 2012, 12:50 AM
How many people actually own an original Dreambox ?

well i own two.

cactikid
8th February, 2012, 01:19 AM
500s original

potrobber
8th February, 2012, 01:36 AM
if you ever do find out how many is genuine lol i cant see what the anwser is going to do for anyone

i own none

garry m8 can you start a new thread on this lol

garry1312
8th February, 2012, 10:01 AM
Me start a new thread mate? It's not my question nor am I interested in knowing the results of who owns original DM's or clone DM's.

I think it is safe to say we all know how such a poll would turn out.

Manic01
8th February, 2012, 12:33 PM
There are so many clones now, def need seperate section.

dell_xps
19th February, 2012, 01:06 PM
Quick bump, finishes tonight peeps, get voting !

dell_xps
19th February, 2012, 09:32 PM
78 - 20, not a bad result :-)

satsmo
19th February, 2012, 10:07 PM
No it wasn't. You better start the new section :)

There will be more clones than genuine soon enough and as a result it will become like the DM section.

dell_xps
19th February, 2012, 10:46 PM
No probs Sats, im up 4 it :-)

satsmo
19th February, 2012, 10:52 PM
Open a thread and I will sticky it at the top of this section as a trial and see how it goes.

Then we may go ahead with a separate clone section. But I am sure by that stage we won't be seeing too many genuine/clone queries as the clones will flood the market.

But the members have voted here and it's your and their forum, we are here to accommodate all when they have voted and as such we will do so.

Why did I open my big mouth :)

dell_xps
19th February, 2012, 11:08 PM
Ok m8, do it later on, watching Homeland :-)

preditor
20th February, 2012, 08:40 PM
Yes to a clone sections would help out newbies like me

garry1312
21st February, 2012, 11:48 AM
Yes to a clone sections would help out newbies like me

The clone dedicated thread mate can be found here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f193/vu-uno-duo-clone-questions-answers-only-256587/ for Vu+ clone receivers :)