PDA

View Full Version : strong smell of petrol

bandit boy
21st January, 2012, 06:10 PM
i have a 1998 ford fiesta 1.25 zetec for some reason i get a very strong smell of petrol inside the car every now and then almost making it undriveable because of the fumes then after a few minutes it goes i have looked under the bonnet and can see no leeks also i have checked the fuel filler neck and petrol cap also underneath and can see no problems any help would be great .thanks

cactikid
21st January, 2012, 07:14 PM
is your car running uneven,i would first check under the inlet manifold for a cracked air pipe as you will hear a hissing sound from around that area.

adam28
21st January, 2012, 07:52 PM
Had a Vectra that i could smell petrol every now an then, well when i filled up with fuel anyway.. Ended up that i had small leak at the top of my tank where it had rusted over the years lol

Meat-Head
21st January, 2012, 08:01 PM
suggest evap canister, ask Liteace for one of his funky photos

Ashraf6119
22nd January, 2012, 11:15 AM
have you checked all the plastic pipes from fuel filter to fuel rail they do rub on engine block and make very small hole and leak from there.............so worth checking those plastic pipes

bandit boy
22nd January, 2012, 03:07 PM
yes i have checked everything i can see pipe wise one thing i have noticed there does not seem to be any pressure coming from the petrol cap when i take it off there is no hiss so i am thinking it may be a seal some where i have tried another cap

smirnoff_rules
22nd January, 2012, 03:18 PM
l had one of these in the other day and the plugs were lose , not noisy but enough for the gasses to get out

Liteace
22nd January, 2012, 04:15 PM
Is there any access to pump \ pipes under back seat, any plates or large plastic plugs under there, if so pul them off and have a look

bandit boy
23rd January, 2012, 06:30 PM
there is a access plate under the rear seat but does not show a lot. thanks

paddyp
23rd January, 2012, 06:51 PM
i have a 1998 ford fiesta 1.25 zetec for some reason i get a very strong smell of petrol inside the car every now and then almost making it undriveable because of the fumes then after a few minutes it goes i have looked under the bonnet and can see no leeks also i have checked the fuel filler neck and petrol cap also underneath and can see no problems any help would be great .thanks

Sure its not the wifes perfume? :goodnight: