PDA

View Full Version : Dog Smell

tigger001
22nd January, 2012, 10:59 AM
I've just bought a house and the previous owners had a big dog,
when you walk into the house it stinks of the dog. Has any one got any ideas on how to get rid of the smell , I have already put air freshners all over the house and I will see if that has worked when I go in today.

I am having the laminate floor ripped up and carpets put in on monday so hopefully that will also help.

nara
22nd January, 2012, 11:06 AM
Replacing the flooring should make a big difference. Best of luck anyway.

(Dog owners probably won't understand this thread.)

ChelseaBun
22nd January, 2012, 11:06 AM
yeh it will probably go along with the carpets, so best bet is to just try mask it as much as you can with air freshener til they're gone :)

ChelseaBun
22nd January, 2012, 11:07 AM
Replacing the flooring should make a big difference. Best of luck anyway.

(Dog owners probably won't understand this thread.)

lol dog owners aren't oblivious to their smell :roflmao:
that's just silly :p

ChelseaBun
22nd January, 2012, 11:24 AM
oh, and happy new home tigger! :)

cactikid
22nd January, 2012, 11:38 AM
air fresheners will only mask the smell,it wont remove it,a steam wand will kill any lingering smells by steam,can be used on many surfaces depending on product bought,carpets wooden floors,worktops,carpets tiles,glass,curtains etc,it can be a bit like tobacco smoke it gets everywhere,febreze is supposed to work so they say but not tried it.
moving from carpet to wooden floors is much easier to keep clean and less dust

nara
22nd January, 2012, 11:41 AM
lol dog owners aren't oblivious to their smell :roflmao:
that's just silly :p

I was probably being a bit general there, but I've met lots of dog owners who genuinely are oblivious to it.

"Smell? What smell?"

super jumbe
22nd January, 2012, 11:51 AM
You want a complete overhaul as the dog mites already under the floor and disinfection the house only solution at a ????????????? cost.

Cheaper to built a new house.

I love animals but when it comes to hygiene I gave up on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:stickyman:

lagerland
22nd January, 2012, 12:08 PM
Jeyes fluid + zoflora get rid of all carpetes and have a good scrub..................

Shady
22nd January, 2012, 12:08 PM
You want a complete overhaul as the dog mites already under the floor and disinfection the house only solution at a ????????????? cost.

Cheaper to built a new house.

I love animals but when it comes to hygiene I gave up on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:stickyman:

i give up
jumbe, youve won

cactikid
22nd January, 2012, 12:12 PM
ahhh the poor wife lol

Johnner
22nd January, 2012, 12:29 PM
Tigger,a few pounds of semtex,take house down,get a few local Polish lads round and they'll lash a house up for ye in no time.

Esteemed member Meat-Head should have all their details somewhere !!!!!

tigger001
22nd January, 2012, 01:00 PM
ahhh the poor wife lol

If that comment was meant for me then I have to say that I lost my wife to Cancer last year.

I am having the laminate floors ripped up because I have a 5yr old to look after and haveing carpets is alot safer for her.

Haveing worked in the flooring industry for over 20yrs I heard alot of storys about kids slipping on laminate and badly hurting themselfs.

Hopefully getting rid if the laminate will also get rid of the dog smell.

Grizz
22nd January, 2012, 01:11 PM
sorry to hear that Tigger. hope you and your5yo are ok.

cactikid
22nd January, 2012, 01:17 PM
no mate sorry to hear that,it was to super jumble i was referring ,yes i see your point with the laminate if you go round in socks much easier to slip and having kids a carpet is softer,all the best in your new venture.

Meat-Head
22nd January, 2012, 03:57 PM
Tigger,a few pounds of semtex,take house down,

Esteemed member Meat-Head should have all their details somewhere !!!!!

I was thinking turn the gas taps on full on the cooker hob, wait 20 mins, stick a lit match through letter box and hopefully *WOOF* job done.

Main thing is you your prioerties right, internet firsy so you can get on DK, then rid the Dawg smell.

Don't know if will work, buckets of sttemy warm water everywhere and a dehmidifer downstairs?

tigger001
22nd January, 2012, 04:04 PM
I was thinking turn the gas taps on full on the cooker hob, wait 20 mins, stick a lit match through letter box and hopefully *WOOF* job done.

Main thing is you your prioerties right, internet firsy so you can get on DK, then rid the Dawg smell.

Don't know if will work, buckets of sttemy warm water everywhere and a dehmidifer downstairs?

Moving in on Wednesday , Internet reconnected on Thursday morning , back on DK asap.

tshirtman
22nd January, 2012, 05:22 PM
I know places like mortuary's have industrial ionizers fitted,
there are some places where you can hire them. leave it running for 24 hours, should get rid of any smell.

patkins
22nd January, 2012, 11:52 PM
Best of luck tigger in the new home.
Sorry to hear of the passing of your wife.

chalky 4
23rd January, 2012, 07:20 AM
If it is really bad you could use an ozone generator or a fogging machine. A local good carpet cleaner may have them. Washing all walls and doors etc. up to where they have had contact should solve the problem though. Have a Happy New House,

Monty31ot
23rd January, 2012, 09:47 AM
Only way to be sure is a new coat of paint on the ceiling the walls and replace flooring. Most people do this with a new house anyways when they put their stamp on it :)

tigger001
23rd January, 2012, 02:39 PM
UPDATE.

Had the laminate floor ripped up today , replaced it with carpet , disinfected every other surface and the House smells alot better now , 2 days to go till I move in .

ChelseaBun
23rd January, 2012, 03:30 PM
that's good, as cold as it is, on moving day just have every window open to air it out and smell should be good as gone :)

blacky1973
23rd January, 2012, 04:07 PM
get a few cats, let them p*ss on the area the smell is coming from, after a few weeks the dog smell will be a thing of the past.

mikiemo
23rd January, 2012, 04:48 PM
Use Bicarbonate of soda or baking soda in water and wash all paintwork and walls this should neutralise any lingering smells

regards, Mikie

jcgrumbles
23rd January, 2012, 06:31 PM
Buy a horse...

tigger001
23rd January, 2012, 07:47 PM
get a few cats, let them p*ss on the area the smell is coming from, after a few weeks the dog smell will be a thing of the past.

That wont happen , I've had too many years of cats doing their business on my lawn .

tigger001
23rd January, 2012, 07:49 PM
Buy a horse...

I'm sure my Granddaughter would love that idea .

johnboy1974
23rd January, 2012, 10:17 PM
i would reccomend this

80s Shake'n'Vac Ad - YouTube

Johnner
23rd January, 2012, 11:09 PM
OMG,I am getting bloody old.I remember this ad 200 years ago !!lol

Meat-Head
24th January, 2012, 12:00 AM
i would reccomend this
80s Shake***39;n***39;Vac Ad - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TcQ_Odcuc)

If that don't work, it's just going to be a case of Cranberrys and Linger

Shame you didn't get money off for the dawg smell

Meat

The Cranberries- Linger lyrics - YouTube

tigger001
28th January, 2012, 06:26 PM
The Dog Smell has nearly gone now , just waiting for the hall , stairs and landing carpets to be changed . its also a good job that I've got another 2 weeks off work as theres still loads of box's to unpack and thats a nightmare with a 5yr old running round.

berley
28th January, 2012, 06:45 PM
It'll make a big difference once the hall stair and landing carpets are gone, hopefully you'll be rid of the dog smell altogether then.

All the very best in your new home, I hope you and your child are very happy there :)

alistairlee
30th January, 2012, 08:40 PM
Sure I've read that burning candles helps as well.
Al

maca
30th January, 2012, 08:44 PM
Sure I've read that burning candles helps as well.
Al
especialy when you shove the candle up the dogs arse

tigger001
3rd February, 2012, 01:17 AM
Well I've been in the house for a week now and the Dog Smell has now gone , still got loads of unpacking to do but nearly every time I start to sort things I end up finding another botched diy job that the last owner started and didnt finish so I end up haveing to fix that first.
Only got 1 more week before I go back to work so fingers crossed I can get most things done before then.

vinnie1985
3rd May, 2012, 08:23 PM
zaflora is a really good disenfectant for eradicating dog smells

valluvar
4th May, 2012, 10:31 AM
A dog Smell is disgusting to imagine . . So sorry for that. . . Hire a house keeping service for complete solution

Shady
4th May, 2012, 10:32 AM
YOUR disgusting to imagine.. fud.
dogs are ace

RedSpider
4th May, 2012, 11:55 AM
i like the smell of a dogs tits

DonMcCoy
4th May, 2012, 03:10 PM
Explode The house

JellyElieBean
4th May, 2012, 03:36 PM
In reference to the laminate v carpet with children part of this conversation... Trust me, laminate is so much better! I wish I had gone with laminate when I got my new house. It's much easier to clean and you don't start pulling your hair out whenever a yoghurt's spilled onto it.
To stop the child slipping, just by a big cheap rug that you won't mind getting dirty, and make sure they stick to that whilst eating :')

jordigirl
4th May, 2012, 04:20 PM
try getting your kid's to sit at a table when eating - saves them spilling yoghurt on carpets and the such like,

a prefer carpet to laminate much warmer and getting them cleaned every 6 month helps keep em bright ;)

tigger001
4th May, 2012, 06:09 PM
Its nice to see that people are still looking at a thread that I started in January and some of the comments are very funny.
I've now sort of settled in the new house and I've been busy sorting out all the botched DIY jobs that the last owner kindly left me.
Just finished sorting out the electrics in the kitchen so now I'm going to sort my bedroom out as thats about the only room left that is full of box's.

Meat-Head
4th May, 2012, 06:32 PM
dogs are ace

The one on that phone certanatly is :sheep:

Simonkn
17th May, 2012, 03:43 PM
I like the smell of dogs in the morning :top:

Meat-Head
17th May, 2012, 08:44 PM
I like the smell of dogs in the morning :top:

Do you like the smell of downloads as well?